Yamaha 6YC - wacky MPH / MPG readings

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoore

Reaction score
My Yamaha control display has decided to randomly start telling me I’m going 180 mph etc... It works fine and then randomly the mph/mpg starts bouncing all over the place. I get GPS via Garmin 7610 XSV and works great until it doesn’t. Anyone ever have an issue like this before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brent. I’ll review the manual, but it’s a strange glitch. I get speed through GPS rather than engine. Garmin sends gps Info via nema 0183 to the Yamaha unit and he recommended turning off all of the output sentences that don’t send speed and try just leaving on GPRMC or GPRM on. I called Garmin and they don’t think it should matter. They mentioned maybe checking the ground or something. Everything looked secure, but there’s just so many tightly bound wires organized all nice in there.I hate to have to take it all apart to track all of the wires etc... It actually works fine and then randomly freaks out and gives random mph/mpg. I hate weird ghost issues like this. It seemed to occur after a software update I did and then went away after for a few trips until Garmin released another software update and now it’s doing it again. I just don’t know if it’s a ground issue, software issue or maybe too many output sentences or something. Just seems like more people would be having a similar issue if it was a software glitch and can barely find any feedback online where people are advising to turn off certain nema output sentences. I’ve reviewed all of the nema portcsettings with Garmin and It’s all correct.The manual you sent seems more complete then the little one I got so Ill review. I’m just hoping someone will come along and say... I had same issue... do this and magically go away [emoji23]

Garmin wants me to run GPS off the 7610’s for a while and see if issue continues so we can rule out the external GPS 19x. Sounds like a plan.

Yes.....That's a good idea.....In fact.... You don't even need the 19X.

I do on my 4212 and 6208 as they are older and have no internal GPS. But I've installed plenty of units with it internal.

Under my RV shelter with trees above it....They will still read to within 12ft accuracy. That's pretty Damn good!

Back