Yamaha Black Steel Prop Polishing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpg1969

Reaction score
I was tired of having having to repaint my Yamaha Black Steel Series propeller every spring only to have it wear off after a few trips and see it start to rust. I spoke to a company called Murphy's Prop Shop at the Atlantic City Boat Show and they recommended polishing it. Said I will still get some surface rust but not nearly as bad since the small crevices and grooves have been polished out. Time will tell. I mailed it on a Monday and had it back by Friday afternoon (including rebalancing it to within specs):

In case anyone else is interested here's their info:
http://www.murphyspropellers.com/

Pix of the finished product below:

Attachments

• IMG_0519 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0519 (Medium).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 7,877
  • IMG_0520 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0520 (Medium).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,877
I've used murphy's many times and have always experienced a job well done, a quick turn-around and a reasonable price.
Don't know if they still do, but they used to send a nice beverage coozie with the finished prop!!!

I'm sending mine out tomorrow. 8)

Do you guys think it'll rust just as fast as before, or will the polishing slow it down a bit?

96TL":1vqq9g3d said:
Do you guys think it'll rust just as fast as before, or will the polishing slow it down a bit?

I was always under the impression that the Yamaha 'black props' were actually stainless... but painting, rather than polishing them saved money.

I was also told that thefts in boatyards were diminished because theives target the shiny wheels, and bypassed the painted ones because they looked too much like aluminum.

Mr Murphy does nice work!
I like! :)

Pretty Spiffy lookin'. Would a shiny prop look like a spinning spoon to a HUGE Fish? :shock:

Jim's post inspired me, so while I was at the Boat Show on Sunday I tried to talk my local Propeller shop (H&H Propeller in Salem, MA) to do the polishing thing. He didn't want any part of it. He said it would still rust as much as before because of the composition of the stainless steel.

He claimed that the run-of-the-mill OEM Yamaha SS props have a high carbon content, and are prone to rust for this reason. Other "racing props" have a higher Nickel alloy and less carbon, and will hold the polishing better with no rust.

Maybe he just figured there wasn't enough money in it for him. Or he is too busy. Or was just burnt out after a week of Boat Show Booth-sitting. 8)

I know that higher carbon content is good for knives to help them hold a sharp edge.. do you think holding an edge is the reason that Yamaha props would have a higher-carbon content? Or is it just cheaper to produce? Or maybe the H&H prop guy just didn't know what he was talking about.

Maybe the "cracks and crevices" explanation is the key. Less surface area in the cracks and crevices when they get buffed smooth? Makes sense I guess... Keep us posted Jim..... Sure looks cool!

Cheaper to produce, for sure. But emminently rebuildable, according to my prop guy. I'd leave them black. Less chance of thievery.

We have seen and heard comments for years about Yamaha "black props" being somehow inferior to others. The Yamahas are "low grade stainless", "rust easily", "not top self", etc.

I have a Merc Rev IV (app. $550.00). It was covered in surface rust the first time out. So bad, I used some metal polish to clean it up.

It's a great prop, by the way. Raised motor 1 hole installed Rev IV and picked up a little mpg, hole shot, planeing speed, etc.

I agree with "bajadude" about the "thievery" comment, and would paint mine black if the paint would stay on.

I'll let you guys know the progress on this experiment. I agree about the concerns with theft and would have left it black as well, but I just couldn't find a paint that would stick for more than a few weeks...

I thought powder coating might be an interesting solution but the heat used in the process would have ruined the hub so not really a cheap option.

I got my prop back tonight. It came out great. I didn't think it was gonna be this shiny! It looks chrome dipped! These guys did a really good job. They engraved my last name in it for some reason, I guess to keep track. I cant believe this is the same prop. I also got my skeg guard today. Thanks for the hookup jpg1969! 8)

BEFORE:

DSCN0759_Small_.jpg

AFTER:

Pics_034_Small_.jpg

Pics_035_Small_.jpg

Pics_036_Small_.jpg

Pics_037_Small_.jpg

SKEG GUARD:
Pics_047_Small_.jpg

WOW!

In the first -after- photo, it is so reflective, that it looked absolutley Black! 8)

They must have dipped it in a cleanning tank or something to get the "inside" so clean, maybe that's why they stamped your name in it.. so it wouldn't come off in the cleaning bath.

What's with the Babe on the package of your skeg guard? "How do you protect your lower unit?"

YIKES! :shock: :shock: :shock:

cbigma":2o2h8ssj said:
What's with the Babe on the package of your skeg guard? "How do you protect your lower unit?"

I was thinking the same thing! :)

Hey, that SKEGGUARD company sure knows how to package their products! It makes me want to go out and buy one right now,, just to get a good look at the ,,,um,,,errr,,,, installation manual that is printed on the front of the package! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Porkchunker":2oyf3lq0 said:
Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

All that work on a prop...I just polish mine on a sand/mud bar once or twice a season. :D :D :D

So did I, hence the "BEFORE" picture. I guess I didn't do it often enough. :lol:

Back