• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

YAMAHA ENGINE CORROSION & BALANCER PROBLEMS 2006-2009

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have had any problems due to corrosion & balancers on any Yamaha 4 stroke years 2006-2009 and if so exactly what? The reason I am asking is that I was looking at the new 2016 Parker 2320 & the new 2120 at a dealership just 3 weeks ago and noticed that there were two certified Yamaha mechanics repairing/servicing two Yamaha engines. One was a 2009 f150. I asked exactly what was the problem and he said that there was some corrosion but no balancer problem. He said that he has seen some corrosion in years 2006-2009 and to steer clear away from those years. Does anyone know what the end result was with the Yamaha class action lawsuit for engines made up to 2005 and did anyone here have any corrosion issues with your 2006-2009 f150 engines?
Thank you so very much!
Bob

The balancer issue on the f150 affected some engines made in 2004-2006 I believe. The gear material would fail,pieces would block the oil flow and engine would be destroyed. They reluctantly replaced some under warrantee with a new version but they dragged their feet and the issue was a sore subject for some owners. I bought a f150 that was out of warrantee and changed it myself for about $300. just for piece of mind. If you give the vin to a good dealer he should be able to tell you if it was in the years affected and if it has been replaced.

I'm not awaire of corrosion issues on f150's but I believe some 225's and 250's had issues.

Yamahas are my favorite engines and the f150 is my favorite model.

I know two people who have had their 2007 Yamaha f150 balancers replaced by certified Yamaha mechanics. They were told by both mechanics to replace them as a precaution even though there was nothing wrong with them. I asked both of them if they had any corrosion issues with their 2007 F150 and both said the mechanics said "no corrosion issue". So it seems at least with these two people that both had balancers replaced but didn't have any corrosion issues BUT on the other hand the Certified Yamaha mechanic who I spoke to just 3 weeks ago said that there are "definitely corrosion issues" on many that he has seen between the years 2006-2009 and to avoid those years. I am looking to buy a 2007-2008 Parker 2320 or maybe a 2120 and will have it checked out by a certified Yamaha mechanic. I need to stay at a price point so those years fit my budget.

I have 02 225 and had corrosion issue repaired. boatus had an article on it and emailed them. Yamaha in Atlanta called me sometime later and said it was out of warranty and I said OK. I already accepted and just helping out the magazine and hoping to see some numbers of affected motors. There was 2 law firms asking owners with corrosion issues to contact them for a class action suit. I thought it was a waste of time and didn't pursue it and considering there was no smoking gun from Yamaha to hang your hat on during the discovery phase. Good luck. I think sim Yamaha has a good price on repair kits and would contact Andy. he is aware of it and sells alot of parts. I can't imagine a Yamaha dealer would say anything on the record and risk some type of response and possibility of losing a lucrative license

I had the F 150 on my 07 2120 which I traded in for my 2015 2520.
In 2012 I had the balancer done under in my last year of warranty. I had been hearing the noise for 2 seasons and my mechanic was able to do it while still under warranty.
In 2013 I had a lot of work done, water pump,timing belt, internal zincs, belt etc. While doing this work he noticed a small leak in power head gasket and had that done as well. While doing all this work I was also told that they saw the start of some corrosion issues and patched it up.
I never had one issue with the engine and it ran perfectly for the 8 seasons I had it.

On your 2007 f150 was the balancer originally composite plastic and did he replace it with the metal balancer? How many hours did you have on your engine when he replaced the balancer?
Thanks
Bob

All the more reason Parker (and other mfgr's ) should offer a choice of outboards for your new boat.

i haven't been on here a while and am posting this as an apology, especially to Dale. my yammy 225 just turned 800 hours and welcome the event by giving me a hole in the power head that filled my engine cowling with water. Done.
shopping for a new engine. Now looking very seriously at a zuki 300. i will try to post some pics of the new one and the old yammy.

Back