Yamaha F250 on a 2520 DVSC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishinfireman

Reaction score
Thinking about repowering my 2520 DVSC with an F250 and I wanted to ask the people who are running this combination if you are happy with it. I have done the search and read all I can find but would like updated opinions and your experiences so far. My boat is heavily rigged and I fish up to 6 people. The OX66 was adequate power but I have always thought I would go to a 300 when I repower. I am not really confident in the 300 hpdi but I want to stay with Yamaha so the F250 is my best option I think. That F350 is tempting but it is too heavy and a lot of money. Thanks for any help.

Bill - I have the same rig as you Mine is also very heavily rigged and we usually fish six guys. I went from an Ox 66 to a Zuke 250. I did not lose any performance by going to a four stroke. I think you will be very pleased with the Yammy 250. If you do a search I recall someone from CP repowered is DV with a Yammy 250. The reason I went with the Zuke is b/c my mechanic is a Zuke dealer. If I can answer any question let me know. You may want to consider the 300 Zuke. Again, I am not sure if that will be cost prohibitive or if you have access to Zuke service in your area. I belive all curret outboards are reliable, and you should purchase the brand that you can easily get serviced in you location.

Brad

I've got the 25 mod v hull, I don't usually have that kind of weight and I feel the boat is a little underpowered. I wish I had twin 200's .

Parker":3hhs9o6v said:
I believe all current outboards are reliable, and you should purchase the brand that you can easily get serviced in your location.

No truer words spoken!

Thanks for the replies fellas. Today is the day I need to make the decision. I have to be back on the water soon and will have to get the new motor broken in before my next trip. I am very tempted to go with the F350. I have always wished for more power when I have to run in big following seas. I don't like wallowing in the trough. That big prop and the power of the F350 would push me up the hill with ease. It would also be nice to skin-r-back when the gulf is slick. Economy looks pretty good too. The weight and the fact that the F350 is not proven in the real world make me hesitate. I definately want to stay with Yamaha. Big Bend Marine has given great service.

Everywhere I go I've been seeing alot of F350s on the new boats. I think you'll do fine with that motor. I assume that your transom and/or bracket is rated for that? Is that an issue?

The new Parker dealer in St. Pete has got one that will be at the upcoming boat show.

jim

If I had a choice I would get the 300hp Suzuki for my 2520DV. I think I posted this on another thread but Robin Parker told me (via email) that the 350hp Yamaha will be too heavy for a single OB Armstrong bracket.

John

My boat has the notch transom and it's rated for 500 horses ('02). I'm hesitant to add that much weight to the transom but twins are even heavier so I know the boat will handle it.

I know that the F250 is a safe bet but I don't want to settle for a 250 and then still wish I had more power.

The 300 Suzuki sounds great but I want to stay with Yamaha. They are reliable motors with a great network behind them.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming please.

You can go to the Yamaha site, hear the new V-8...AWESOME 8)

Fishinfireman":39caub78 said:
I listened to it and I could feel the hook set right in the corner of my mouth. :lol:

Good one! Me too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I think I'm "gut hooked" :lol:

No wonder. I never saw a Parker there before. I wonder if he picked it up from Family Boating. They said they were not giving up the line but I think they lied.

If you were happy with an OX66 250 you will be thrilled with an F250. You will loose nothing and gain everything (economy, quiet, smooth). Look back and read my posts or PM me. Do not buy into this Suzuki stuff, they show no signs of a complete commitment to the marine market, and Yamaha keeps eating their lunch while building a great product.

Where are the Suzuki performance numbers ?? Nobody, to my knowledge, has made the plunge because the Yamaha numbers and track record are compelling.

The F350 is not too heavy (assuming you have a notch transom). The 2520DVSC benefits in several ways from more weight aft. If you know the boat, you know this to be true. If you need to know why, PM me.

Ever been on a notched transom Parker with twin 150 four strokes ?? They weigh over 800 pounds. A YAMI F300 (V6) would be optimum, if it existed. An F350 V8 would have many green with envy, take the plunge, I'd love to see those numbers.

If you are more timid, buy an F250 and be happy.

Well, I did not repower. My old motor has 6 months left on a 5 year warranty. A few months ago my motor developed a miss on the way in from fishing. I found a plug that was fouled with salt. Turned out the head gasket was leaking and my Yamaha dealer replaced the head and gasket and said to run it. 10 days ago the motor threw a rod. Big Bend Marine/Yamaha replaced the whole power head with a new one from the factory. I took the boat out today to get some hours on it before my next charter. Runs like a new one. :wink:

I still hope to repower before too long but I am going to wait and see how this new F350 works out on other boats like mine. I will also be able to save up more money toward a repower and hopefully avoid having to use the bank's money. I still want more power but my old motor is good to go for now.

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

I have the 2510 Deep V with a Notched Transom. Riverfront strongly suggested that I do NOT put a 4 stroke Yammie on it as it would be a dog.

In the meantime a buddy of mine put a Zuke 250 one on a Moonie Boat, which is much heavier. I fished it and it had all kinds of power. Last fall I spoke with Brad from the above posts and he gave the the specifics so I pulled the trigger on a new zuke.

I have no regrets. It is faster and handles much better with the big prop. I have a buddy with the Pilot house Mod V 25' and a F225, and he wishes like heck his boat had the accelaration and bite of the zuke.

A single 4S on a Parker is an awesome combo. But I would go with the Yammie 350 or the Zuke 250 or 300....not the Yammie 250.

Back