Yamaha unveils a 350 hp 5.3 litre V8 at the Miami Boat Show

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
"Borrowed" from another web site... :D
-------------------------

MIAMI, 1pm Feb.15, 2007 — In a dramatic cloke and dagger/dog and pony show, Yamaha Marine unveiled the boating industry’s first V8 5.3-liter, four-stroke outboard motor today at the Miami Boat Show. The Yamaha F350. produces 350 prop-shaft rated horsepower, and it is designed to provide massive thrust for the heaviest off-shore outboard-powered boats and outboard-powered boats the industry.

The rumor around the Yamaha booth was that at 5.4 ltrs, there are enough cubic inches in this engine to put out as much as 500 hp (some said more) in the coming years.

The Yamaha F350 provides up to 45 percent more thrust than 250-hp class outboards. The company’s first V8 outboard powerhead was designed specifically for the marine market and features more than 600 new parts. The design is a 60-degree V8 with 32 valves (four valves per cylinder) and double overhead cams. It uses variable camshaft timing to optimize the engine’s torque at low and mid-range rpm. With sequential, multi-point fuel injection, it has eight long intake tracks in the induction system to optimize power. In addition, it features In-Bank Exhaust with Dual Power Surge Chambers, a system that relieves pressure in the exhaust ports.

The F350 was designed from the beginning to power off-shore boats. However, it employs a number of new features designed to even further enhance its capabilities. A component of the UCP-II Ultimate Corrosion Protection System is an industry exclusive paint process for the proprietary Yamaha aluminum alloy engine block. It combats corrosion both inside and out, protecting the cooling passages and other key components. In addition, the outboard uses an “Ultra-Tough” gear case with dual water inlets for improved cooling. Inside the lower unit are hardened gears and enhanced bearings and surfaces for greater off-shore durability. Forged motor mounts and an oversized mounting bracket (with 6 transom thru bolts) also add to the F350’s portfolio of toughness.

The 3 blade SS prop looked to be about 16 inches in diameter, remenescent of the big Suzuki 3 blade (I thought it would be bigger).

Yamaha plans to begin deliveries to boat builder and dealer partners by summer 2007.

- - - -

Yamaha also unveiled a new electronic shifter capable of handling up to 3 engines. This shifter has a kinky, ie. "neat" trolling feature that with each push of a button on the new electronic tach, allows trolling speeds to be increased from 600 rpms by 50 rpms with each push of the button, up to 1000 rpms without touching the throttle.

- - - -

Yamaha had a working model of the new 350 on display in their booth, and it did not look that much bigger than the Suzuki 300.

f350_Std-1-Side-View.jpg
Cutaway_White.jpg

Yea, me too...

BUT! With the introduction of that motor, the F250's and F300's are looking a lot more attractive pricewise. :)

That is a beast. I eluded to rumors of this new Yami during my 2520DV repower thread some time ago. That engine will be hard to come by until late this year.

As I have said, I'm going with the F250 which is tried and true at this point.

The weight shouldn't shock too much, what does a pair of 175s weigh ??

What remains to be seen is if that lower unit can reliably harness all those ponies. Yami seems to adress the lower unit issues in their press release.

It's an exciting time in the outboard world, expect a V8 ETEC soon, possibly 400 HP !

Well, get ready for the naysayers...

"It weighs more than my SeaHorse!" :shock:
"It's got 600 NEW parts!" :shock:
"No supercharger made by Porshe.!" :shock:
"No power steering, my arms'll hurt after long run!" :shock:
"Really only has (you choose) 158, 236 or 318 HP!" :shock:
"Makes power only at (you choose) idle, mid-range, top rpm!" :shock:

I say "Life is great-when you drive a V-8" :wink: :lol: 8)

B-Faithful":18wp2w9v said:
26 grand :shock: (that's 3 grand more than twin 175 Optis which way about the same)

FF... you missed one! :D 8) :D 8)

need I point out that twin etec 200's weigh less than the 175 Opti's and will sell for the same price as that single f350.. Plus you only service every 300 hours 8) :lol:

Porkchunker":1x8s97q9 said:
Missed another one: Needs to run on 100 octane avgas. :shock:

Oh great... Now I need to find a seaplane dock so I can fill-up the boat! :lol:

Megabyte":3bsx9rws said:
B-Faithful":3bsx9rws said:
26 grand :shock: (that's 3 grand more than twin 175 Optis which way about the same)

FF... you missed one! :D 8) :D 8)

:oops: Yeah, I see that. Knowing that "B-Faithful" would be "smarting" from his last Classic Parker/Merc/FF exchange, I used the example "SeaHorse" for the weight whiners. You can substitute "Opti" for "SeaHorse" if you like. :wink:

I also missed the Aviation Fuel Requirement. :lol: I heard without "AFR", the new 350 Yamahas really only have about 261 hp.

Oh, and the crack about 2 Optis costing $3,000 less than a Yamaha...well, Americans have been paying a premium for Yamaha quality for about 25 years now.

If anyone knows of anyone with an Opti that wants a helm upgrade...I've still got a Yamaha Multi-Function Guage (another Yamaha first :wink: ) for sale here. I'll throw in some Yamaha blue paint for free! :lol:

Porkchunker":2ju0on5g said:
TimC2520":2ju0on5g said:
804 lbs !!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scratch my idea of re-powering my 2520 :lol:

Why? I have twin F-115s and they weigh 402 lbs apiece. My MV does well with them. Replacing them with a single F-350 would be awsome.

The capacity plate on the transom says Max HP is 325 :(

Porkchunker":24bud6go said:
TimC2520":24bud6go said:
804 lbs !!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scratch my idea of re-powering my 2520 :lol:

Why? I have twin F-115s and they weigh 402 lbs apiece. My MV does well with them. Replacing them with a single F-350 would be awsome.

The capacity plate on the transom says Max HP is 325 :(

I guess the new Parker 32 SC will sport two of those babies.

50 grand for two engines is to rich for my blood, but there's plenty of people that will buy them.

I have to say how civilized this site is. I love watching the friendly jabs exchanged by BF and FF. Fun. You should see the Merc / Etec debates on continouswave (another cilvilized site that I also enjoy a lot; civilized save for the Etec / Merc debates) :lol:

Even if your boat can handle this 800# gorrilla and you are still willing to pay more than the cost of twins for it, You are still gonna need a merc prop to get it to perform well. :lol:

Besides, my bet is manufacturers like parker who use brackets wont be able to support these monsters on a single outboard bracket. (not enough weight distribution across the transom--too much weight for the single support surface area) My bet is that Yam will not recommend them for repower purposes in short order as boats will have to be designed to support the weight.

Nothing wrong with a small block Chevy (just ask Tony Stewart, Dale JR, or Kevin Harvick) UNLESS it's right in the middle of a small boat. Besides that motor weighs 930# bobtail, add what 150# trans, 75# shaft, prop and rudder, more for coolers, motor covers, blah blah. Still got no trim and tilt, draws more water than 350 Yamaha.

Y'all right, new 350 Yamaha won't fit 32 Regulators, Grady Whites or the new 32 Parkers coming out. :roll:

Maybe this move will bankrupt Yamaha, they'll file bankruptcy, and be bought out by a french-Canadian jet ski company. The'll call 'em Y-Techs. :lol:

Back