Yammie Power Problems

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After buying the O2 density sensor socket and torque wrench, I couldn't get them to work together the right way, so I just tighten by hand. I didn't put too much additional research into buying more stuff to make it work, I was more frustrated that the stuff I had already purchased didn't work.

-- Tom

Thanks for the info....
I guess I wont wory about torqueing it then, just making sure I do not over tighten it with the wrench and break something. This post is giving me good info on what to expect when I do this...I'm hoping to swap out the 3 low pressure fuel pumps and clean the O2 sensor this weekend..I have all the parts needed. I doubt I'll be able to get to the VST screen this weekend because the new gasket I need to replace on the tank will probably not be here before then.

I've used just a plain paper towel and the leftover gasoline in the VST tank before. I've also used q-tips to the same effect.

You aren't really cleaning anything, so I don't think it matters too much what type of cleaner you use. What I mean is that you are just trying to remove a fine powdery substance that has been sucked onto the surface of the filter.

Last time I had the best results yet by spraying carb cleaner (with the little red straw) into the hole of the VST filter, blowing the crud out the other side. I did this one 'pie piece' of the filter at a time, moving the straw around inside the hole to make sure I got everything. If you look close, there is a small amount of stuff that I couldn't reach around the innermost section of the filter in the 'after' picture.

I think I would have had similar results with plain compressed/canned air, and wouldn't have had half the mess. I plan to try that next time.

-- Tom

I just use the channel locks. Just go easy and don't force anything.

-- Tom

Thanks for the replies, will try cleaning instead of spending $100 for a part that cost yamahaha 75 cents to make.

Tim,

Yes, remove the black cap on the top (its the same type of valve as on a car tire), wrap a shop rag around it and you can 'deflate' it with your fingernail or the tip of a screwdriver. The rag is to catch the fuel that drips out and to prevent it from spraying into your eyes, etc. It sounds worse than it is.

-- Tom

Hmmm, I don't recall every reading about a Yamaha pulser coil going bad. Hope he fixes everything and you're good to go. Keep us up to date.

Well, she is FIXED! And guess who ended up fixing it????
Forget about that pulser coil non-sense.....I've known this mechanic for almost 30 years and I guess his head is no longer in the game. Here is how it all played out.....
I wanted to get down there on Friday before he left so I could talk to him.
I knew right away he wasn't sure what the problem was. I told him "Did you check the vst screen"? He said yes. Then he starts mentioning some computer problem which could run $1200-1400. He said that he put a pressure guage on it and it is starving for fuel for some reason. (I said that to him last week, and he said it sounded electrical to him). I said, "Let me look at it for a day or two..." This was late Fri afternoon. So I took all the good info you guys gave me and went to work.
Well, I had with me 3 new low pressure fuel pumps, a new vst screen and the equipment to service the O2 (none of which had ever been serviced since new in 1999 (my fault, but every time I looked under that cowling, I was intimidated).....no longer. I popped the cowling and found about a 1/4" of gas floating around in the bottom of the block area.....(yo buddy, no rag or bowl to catch the gas?) Good thing I didnt try starting it, huh?
The top low press pump was easy to get to, an easy swap to a new one for $35+-...the middle pump is almost behind the vst tank so I had to remove that. I figured, let me check that screen ......Well, the screen he checked wasnt loooking to good to me AND it was disconnected from the fuel pump.....bouncing around in the bottom of the vst tank. In addition, the o-ring that seals the bottom of the tank to the top apparently was pinched and a piece of it broke off and was also floating around the bottom of the vst tank. I also noticed the new screen Yammie sent me looks different than the original, a photo is attached. It looks like the new one could filter more debris before she clogs. I get the new one on and replace the vst tank and low pressure fuel pump behind it....One more low pressure fuel pump at the bottom and set for a test ride.....
BINGO.....ran like a champ!
Also, she has smoked excessively (I thought) for a few years and had a rough low rpm idle (in gear and out) ..Saturday I cleaned the O2 and also replaced the exhaust tube with a new one (which was HEAVILY carbed up). The repair manual said to throw out the old exhaust tube because the new part has been redesigned...looked the same to me but I did it anyway. The sensor had some carbon, but I thought it looked ok, before and after I cleaned it....
Well, she runs just as good as the day I bought her almost 9 seasons ago.
THANK YOU to all CP'ers who helped and saved me from a trouble shooting mechanic!

Attachments

• P9090017.JPG
    P9090017.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 84
Is that filter from yamaha? And if so where did you get it from, would like to get one not the old type. Thanks

Just as a side note, my mechanic asked me to take apart and inspect those 3 low press fuel pumps...he was curious to know if I saw anything bad in them. I know nothing about them, but I just pulled apart all 3 and one had a tear in it, something the other two did not. Below is a photo, I used a small screw driver to spread the "tear" in a plastic like membrane to make it more visible to you, but I did not make the tear any worse. What do you think?...I found this when I popped it open. Could this have contributed to my problem or been the only cause?

Attachments

• P9090018.JPG
    P9090018.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 73
Back