You never know...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-j

Reaction score
Who you are going to meet in the oddest of places...

After deciding that the weather didn't favor going skiing, my boys and I went to the local range to sight in a new hunting rifle. Late in the process, a guy sets up on the bench next to us wearing a Classic Parker hat. I comment on the hat and find out it is Dale!

So, beyond fixing up Parkers, he also builds faithful replicas of muzzleloaders from the 17th century. That's right, 1600's design. He sets up a target 25 yards out with two black 1 inch stick-on dots, loads up and takes a shot. The first dot is GONE! The shot went right through it and all that is there is a hole!

To put this into perspective, that is a task I would have found difficult to do with my modern .308 with a scope, much less an un-rifled barrel, no rear sight at all, and a flintlock that looked like it might be a more effective weapon as a club than a firearm!

Pretty impressive! As an aside, we discussed trying to out together a North Shore Boston gathering next summer in Marblehead. Will keep The Board informed of how that comes together.

You forgot the best part, haha :lol: ... as I only shoot offhand! I never shoot from a bench, less load development. And truth be told that was the 1st shot from this new one with it's rather short 48" barrel in 62-caliber (20-gauge bore). But being 20-degrees out, I forgave the load development and just loaded up with the number of grains equal to the caliber (hence I used 60-grains FFFg of black powder) and had at it.

Yeah, she points ... and prints ... pretty darn well ;) ! Let's just say "She's a keepah!"

file.php

Dave, it was great to meet you and Nick (IIRC)! We ought to hook up another time at the range. I think your boys would get a kick out of the muzzleloaders. And yes - we have to plan a local area rendezvous :D ! Cheers!

wow, that is impressive, I would love to get into that, I am suprised that accuracy would be that good

I am embarassed to say but at 30 yards I hit better with my bow than any muzzeloader I have ever owned

Dale does pretty darn well with those muzzle loaders. 8)
He made the local paper up there recently snow shoeing and shooting in period garb.
Those l_o_n_g barrels are pretty impressive for shooting offhand!

I've got to get him down here to shoot something shorter, and from this century. :D

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back