Your input is needed for continued access to our waters

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatGirl

Reaction score
ATTENTION!! This has been confirmed. It was sent to us from National Marine Manufacturers Association. This is a real issue that needs your attention. Please see below:

March 9, 2010
American Sportfishing Association Policy Alert

Tell the White House That the New National Policy for the Ocean, Coasts and Great Lakes Must Safeguard Recreational Fishing
For more information, contact Gordon Robertson <mailto> , vice president and Government Affairs lead, 703.519.9691, x237, or Patty Doerr <mailto> , Ocean Resource Policy director, x244.

Your input is needed to ensure that this new national policy does not restrict people from enjoying saltwater and freshwater recreational fishing.

Within the next 30 – 60 days, the Obama Administration is planning to issue a final report, and possibly other management guidance, intended to govern the management of the nation’s oceans, coastal areas and Great Lakes. The plan originated in June 2009, when President Obama created the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. The Task Force, led by the Chair of the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ), was charged with developing a national policy for conserving and managing the United States ocean territory and the Great Lakes. The policy will govern ocean and Great Lakes resource management and coordinate efforts among the many federal, state and local agencies that oversee a significant portion of our nation’s waters.

The White House is in the final stages of developing the final report, which must balance sustainable uses with ocean and Great Lakes conservation. It is important that the administration recognizes and promotes the economic and conservation contributions of outdoor recreation, including recreational fishing and boating. Without such recognition, decisions made under this national oceans and Great Lakes policy could be used to close saltwater and freshwater recreational fishing areas.

Anglers and boaters are the original stewards of our environment. If you take us off the water, this country will lose a vital element in the conservation of our fisheries resources. Outdoor recreation is a part of our way of life and we need to ensure that it remains an option for all Americas.

Click here <http> or visit www.keepamericafishing.org <http> to send a letter to President Obama and other key policy makers urging the Task Force to include recreational fishing and boating in the national policy. When you send this letter to President Obama, it will automatically be sent to your Members of Congress.

Ryan C":3llnazln said:
Bryan 2530":3llnazln said:
Read this first to give you some perspective.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/salt ... id=4975762

Respectfully, I do not believe I owe anyone the consideration of their 'perspective' as it is obvious the Obama administration could care less about our perspective.

Robin, thanks for the link. I will pass it around as much as possible.

Did you read the article?? Just trying to rally some support for BoatGirl.

The Obama administration has ended public input for a federal strategy that could prohibit U.S. citizens from fishing some of the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

On this particular issue recreational and commercial fishermen should stand together as they did in Washington in Febuary. We could be severely restricted as to where and what we can fish for recreationally and the commercial guys could lose everything. Don't think it can't happen. Look at who is backing this legislation. I've been run off a spot I was fishing by a dragger or two and I don't like to see a mess of bycatch floating for the birds, but there will be plenty of time for that old argument later. In fact in a few years if this becomes law we can use the time we used to fish to argue who's fault it is.

Back