1994 Parker 2320 extended cabin open back project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mheltunen":2w2p8qsc said:
I’m ordering gelcoat for my roof repair and touchups in various areas. What would be best; interior or exterior gel coat . From what I’ve read it’s just the absence of wax in the gelcoat that is the difference. This results in less work time. Tips are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you buying a transducer and electronics? If you have existing transducer, check it is located properly.

B2

Brent":2mc1bdpa said:
mheltunen":2mc1bdpa said:
I’m ordering gelcoat for my roof repair and touchups in various areas. What would be best; interior or exterior gel coat . From what I’ve read it’s just the absence of wax in the gelcoat that is the difference. This results in less work time. Tips are appreciated

Are you buying a transducer and electronics? If you have existing transducer, check it is located properly.

B2

The ex transducer was installed improperly so I removed it. In order to remove it I had to resort to cutting it out ,effectively rendering it useless. It will be a month or so but plan on ordering a new one then. In the mean time I’m going to focus on the gelcoat and roof repairs.

mheltunen":2nmni5tb said:
Brent":2nmni5tb said:
mheltunen":2nmni5tb said:

B2

The ex transducer was installed improperly so I removed it. In order to remove it I had to resort to cutting it out ,effectively rendering it useless. It will be a month or so but plan on ordering a new one then. In the mean time I’m going to focus on the gelcoat and roof repairs.

I would ask Warthog for recommendations

B2

Well, I’m all in now. “Buy a boat, it will be fun” they said ........

Another reason why it’s so important to properly bed roof penetrations.
80c30fae6a6d5a0e94c941296e67ee05.jpg

Nice work and looks like you have a great place to be able to work inside on your project.

Thank you. Yes I am fortunate I have access to a heated shop. If not I would have been working on repairs all summer

All the rotted balsa is stripped off the roof. I wetted out and filled some bad areas in the fiberglass below the old balsa. The rear portion of the roof I patched an area where I removed the fiberglass below the old balsa. It was cracked, now I need to build it up to height to accommodate new core material.

Looking forward I’m realizing that my 1 gallon of West system epoxy will not be enough to finish the roof. Does anyone have an estimate of approximately how much epoxy is needed? And I’m looking for recommendations on the type of fiberglass cloth to use for the top skin over the new core.

I sat down and ran some calculations on the weight difference between balsa and marine plywood for the repairs. It appears if I use marine plywood it will add about 20# to the roof. In my my mind this a negligible difference and would not affect stability but perhaps someone else has an opinion.

For what it's worth, Okoume plywood is probably one of the best quality marine plywoods you can get and is pretty light (compared to others). A 4x8 1/2" sheet is roughly 40lbs.

MEranti plywood is also a great product but a little bit heavier (very high quality), I don't think you could go wrong with either. I have purchased quite a bit of products from bateau.com while I was building one of their boats (canoes).

Their house epoxy is outstanding and much cheaper than West Systems (which I have also used). You might want to check out their site for products. Also, great support pages in their forums for some of what you ar edoing.

https://plywood.boatbuildercentral.com/

Hope it helps you.

MadGar":5p706xz2 said:
For what it's worth, Okoume plywood is probably one of the best quality marine plywoods you can get and is pretty light (compared to others). A 4x8 1/2" sheet is roughly 40lbs.

MEranti plywood is also a great product but a little bit heavier (very high quality), I don't think you could go wrong with either. I have purchased quite a bit of products from bateau.com while I was building one of their boats (canoes).

Their house epoxy is outstanding and much cheaper than West Systems (which I have also used). You might want to check out their site for products. Also, great support pages in their forums for some of what you ar edoing.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks, they have a very informative site. With their house epoxy do they incorporate the pumps or is a volume mix (visually)?

MadGar":1q7ngmn0 said:

Hope it helps you.

MadGar if you have experience with this I’m going to need help replacing a section of my roof soon. You’re in SOMD right?

mheltunen - you can order the pumps when you buy the epoxy. It's a separate item but only $5bucks more.
https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... E_plu_each

Fannin - I do live in SoMD however I do not have experience repairing a pilot house roof. I do have experience with epoxy though, in fact just finished making a fiberglass canoe in the fall
and am sure we could figure it out. :shock:

Where are you located Fannin? I think you're in the Clements area based on the area of water you mentioned in other posts. I would be more than happy to swing by and give my opinion and a hand.

Back