new 3420 pics

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email from Robin Parker. She stated that the first 3420 XLD is "going out the door on Monday." Also, for those of you who want the full scoop on this boat, Robin said that she's getting set to take interior shots and then put them on the website as soon as possible. Also, she writes that the standard/optional features have been set and those, as well as performance, will be posted.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this finalized on the Parker site.

It may be different down south...but Parker became popular in the northeast because you didn't NEED twin gas hogs to push a boat with a huge fishing cockpit.

Although it is a beutiful and functional boat, for the money for a non trailerable boat a 34 down east with a single diesel would be the way I would go. Also, the 2nd station on the port side is great, if you are left handed.

Perhaps they are targeting the law enforcment/research crowd.

A drop curtain and single 350.....? that may be cool.

You will never get a GBFT thru that door. Great for diving.

Looks like the ultimate Parker at an ultimate price. I think Parker is getting into a totally different league of boats here and not sure how it will stand up. I am sure allot of Parker lovers will be on board but if priced too high I fear there sales will be short lived. You get too the $200K plus range and you open up a whole new world of comparable boats with possibly allot more to offer. With the economy in the shape it is in and the cost of fuel large boat sales are hurting to begin with. I think only time will tell and in my opinion Parker needs to keep this boat as custom as possible to keep it in the game. This may be enough to attract small charter captains and possibly government applications. The average private boat owner is going to be looking for allot of comfort features in that price range and Parker is not known for that. Just my two cents. I am not trying to be negative just realistic. :wink: I wish them the best of luck in this tough market.

Harpoon":3q0lampe said:
Also, the 2nd station on the port side is great, if you are left handed.

I'm not sure what you are implying. I dont see how being right or left handed is relevant. We all drive cars from that side.

Harpoon":3q0lampe said:

More like cold. And slow. :lol:

I like it. My only question is how do you reach the rocket launchers? In pic#6 it looks like one guy might need do get up on the other fellows shoulders to reach a rod. :shock:

JFP123":2qy6bq6x said:
Harpoon":2qy6bq6x said:
Also, the 2nd station on the port side is great, if you are left handed.

I'm not sure what you are implying. I dont see how being right or left handed is relevant. We all drive cars from that side.

Harpoon":2qy6bq6x said:

More like cold. And slow. :lol:

I like it. My only question is how do you reach the rocket launchers? In pic#6 it looks like one guy might need do get up on the other fellows shoulders to reach a rod. :shock:

I can barely reach them on my 2320! :lol:

JFP123":ppbxuka3 said:
I like it. My only question is how do you reach the rocket launchers?
I was on a smallish 23' Hydra-Sports walk-around the other day and the only way I could 'barely' reach the rocket launches was to step on the side set-up seats that form the back of the bridge deck.

Then the Captain yelled at me ..."Hey, stay off the cushions ..." which meant I'd never use those rod holders at all. I sure ain't tall, but vertically challenged I am not - just average height.

On my 2510, the rocket launchers are a couple of inches off the hard top and I've found that anyone shorter than about 6' can't reach them without assistance.

It looks like the rocket launcher on the 3420 was somewhat gratuitous since there is almost no way someone can reach across the port station and still grab a rod out of the holder.

I'm sure there is a solution for it though - but what is shown doesn't look finished. Just one of those pre-production photo things.

It does look attractive. The price is a little steep, given you can get a new northern bay 38 finished in that price range. It will be about $300k once you add electronics, a top station, and pay taxes on it.

Still very perty. I wonder if they would sell me one. Probably not. I guess they don't want even $250k since I won't buy it from the dealer they want me to.

You know Dale, you're right. I have absolutely no stance on this subject as I can reach my rocket launchers. I just THOUGHT this started out as a 3420 discussion, but it seems it has turned into the subject of one's height. Just wish i was hearing more solid opinions on the actual boat itself. Lots and lots of praise, but I for one see many problems with the layout, and to be honest with the overall lack of constructive criticism. :?

Haha! No worries ... as I was thinking to myself ... "How do I break this post into a new one about the height of the rocket launchers." ... but I couldn't quite firgure out how to do it ;) .

If there was any 'thread drift', I probably started it :) !

alright, because chrisn asked for constructive criticism, heres what ive got: (i am drawing from all picture posts here)

1. obviously, the rocket launchers, as have been mentioned, blah blah blah.

2. i hope that the 2nd station is an option, or at least something you can have the boat rigged without. i am in the minority here, but i dont WANT a 2nd cockpit station. in my opinion, its wasted space, as i am never going to run a 34 foot boat single handed, and the visibility past the bow from the cockpit is virtually nil, making it unsafe for any navigational operation. i would much prefer either a settee, or a full-blown bait rigging station with cooler/freezer, or even one big-a$$ livewell.

3. Unless the scale in the picture of the dash seen here http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... 85&start=0 is off, ITS STILL NOT BIG ENOUGH!!! there should be room for at the very least 2 12" screens, plus an autopilot display and warning light panel. doesnt look like there is here.

4. whats up with the fiberglass insert on either side of the v-berth? looks kinda like wasted space to me, guess it could serve as a mounting surface, but why not just mount to the inside of the hull like we all do now? if anything, i would like to see them larger, with divided lockers inside, if theyre going to use the space at all.

5. unless im missing something with the dinette seen here, http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=4886 theres no storage underneath!! am i somehow mistaken?? looks like alot of space under the seats that could very easily provide a bunch of storage. if i had it, that thing would be sprouting hatches like the Bowmar factory.

6. while on the topic of the dinette, heres my other complaint. as a 2530 owner, i love my dinette. but the new 34 has the same problem we had, and modified: no companion seat. the way the benches are designed in the 34, there is no way that anyone else could sit facing forward and have a decent view out the windshield. that means no extra pairs of eyes on the water to help out the captain, and no other "captain" style chairs, which i for one preferr to bench seats for facing forward. also, unlike my 2530 dinette seats which were fairly easy to add a second chair to, this design looks like it would require pretty major surgery to add a second seat. by sacrificing the area that one person could sit, two if they squeezed, Parker could add a perfectly functional companion chair to this boat with minimal loss of function.

7. also on the note of seating- while the dinette offers lots of it, its all aligned with the cernterline of the boat, except for the little part forward (the part that should be a companion seat). it is my personal opinion, reinforced by many, um, "experienced" boaters that a seat that faces forward is much more comfortable in a heavy sea than one that faces the side of the boat. here's why: the human spine is designed to bend forward and backward, less so side to side. with the forward, pseudo-slamming motion that could be expected of this boat, indeed any boat when the conditions get too rough, forward facing seats allow the spine to bend naturally, instead of hours and hours of sideways bending. this in turn, means fewer sore backs back at the dock. by reconfiguring the table and benches slightly, a seat could easily be installed along the aft wall of the pilothouse, offering at least some forward facing seating.

8. as with the 2nd station, i hope the galley is an option. i for one have no need nor desire for a galley, and frankly would never use it in 99.9% of the boating that i do. unfortunatly, the position of the door rules out my beloved starboard side bench seat with its cavernous storage beneath, arguably my favorite feature of my 2530. perhaps, if the baot was offered with a canvas rear curtain, the bench would work, as well as creating that really cool "open" feel, like the new Ocean 37 Billfish. the more i think about it, the more i like that idea; it would be pretty easy to implement too. Parker should consider it :wink: .

9. Back outside. the first thing i notice is that abominable bench seat!!!! Grrrrrr. i would HATE to try to fight a fish around that thing. im sure thats an option, but it still makes my blood boil. but to each his own.

10. the 34, like all newer parkers, has transom fishboxes that not only take up all the transom space, but make it considerably thicker. again, Grrrrr. that completly eliminates the ability to properly sink transom rodholders, which personally i could not live without. if you dont add a chair to this boat, it would be virtually impossible to run shotgun rods down the middle. forget running them from the rocket launcher, thats almost impossible from MY launcher, let alone the ones on this rig, which are mounted on top of the Sears tower.

11. as some have mentioned, i dont like the tuna door that parker installed. the thin, inset door has never turned me on in any boat. i was hoping to see the kind of door that is the thickness of the transom itsself, with the same covering board area, and when closed "fills" is own hole in the transom. this allows a rod holder to be mounted in the door itself (i love rodholders) and just LOOKS better. also, it needs to be wider; i was hoping for something that you could winch a big shark or a big BFT through. this does not cut it.

12. this is probably my biggest complaint with this boat, and with the direction that the marine industry seems to be moving as a whole. please direct you attention to the back of the boat, where if you look closely you will see two GIANT-a$$ engines monted on a huge bracket. i have nothing against outboards. i have 2 on one boat. but mine stick off my transom maybe 3, four feet when in the down or running position. there is NO WAY that the engines on this boat stick out any less than 6 feet, i know that a comprable setup on the Regulator 30 express sticks out 8 feet. looking at my own personal tackle arsenal, i notice that all of my offshore trolling rods hover at about the 6-6 1/2' range. now, i leave it to you, fellow CP'ers, to figure out how im going to manuevre a 100+ lb tuna that has decided to dive down and under the boat around an 8' bracket, using a 6' rod. there is simply no way that i can find, other than using a pushpole (give me a break) or jumping up onto the transom and out on the bracket, which seems like a really safe thing to do when youre on the hook at night, or in heavy seas, with wet and slippery decks, or any combination of the above. this is a poor design on the entire industry's part, folks. there is no reason to have outboards on this type of boat in this size rantge when a single large or even double smaller inboards will be much more economical, and much more fishable. i realize that some may be bound to their outboard power, but at some point, principle needs to take a backseat to practicality.

13, and this one is personal prefference (like most of the above, i guess): there is no way in HELL that i am going to pay nearly $300,000 all told for a 34' boat with twin outboards, no tower, no flying bridge, nothing like that. not gonna happen, and it would take someone who REALLY sees a perfect fit for their application in this boat to do so i would imagine. not to say that person isnt out there, but that person is definately not me.

whew. now that ive finished ripping into this boat, let me state the positives that i see:

Most of what ive stated is pretty petty, and could be easily remedied. it would just be a matter of tweaking a few things, and maybe offering some things that actually might be offered right now. i dont have access to that information, so im making assumptions. they may or may not be correct; as they say, when you assume, you make an "a**" out of "u" and "me". :wink: the boat is most certainly a looker, like all boats that roll off the Parker line, and im sure its built like a tank. Overall, i would say that the boat is one of the best built in its class, but needs to be tweaked before it can truly take its place. im not sure it would be the boat for me, but it could easily be the boat for somebody. and boy, is it fun to talk about.

well guys and girls, i guess its past my bedtime and im getting cranky. at the end of the day (or the beginning of a new one at 1:05 am :shock: ) Parker is still one of, if not the, best boatbuilder in its size class, with outstanding quality and customer service, which i recently had an extremely positive experience with. and so long as we continue to enjoy the products they make, have made and will make in the future, were all winners here on CP. Now its REALLY time to hit the hay. goodnight, all.

Good Post (pelagic2530) I agree with most of your criticisms except the rear station. I would never own another fishing boat without one regardless of the size. Under way I can see where it would hard to navigate but at troll or drift it is priceless. Maybe it just doesn’t fit your style...but none the less a larger bait rigging station would be nice as well. Storage, Storage, Storage...Never Enough. Dinette is a joke (granite couter on a plain Jane Parker looks ridiculous) give me a seamless sink in the cockpit instead. I couldn't agree more about the bracket and think it is a pain in the A!! That’s why I bought a notched transom. My previous boat had a large swim platform similar to a bracket and I hated fighting fish around it. I don't mind the big outboards for simplicity but put them on the transom and move the fish boxes into the floor (where they should be) looks like you could park a car under that deck why not use it for large recessed deck mounted ice boxes??? A boat this caliber should have an ice maker to fill them. Hell looks like you could make them 8' long!! SWEEET! Hey Parker are you listening??? Look at other boats in this class (there are many) and take some pointers. Good job on a nice boat but needs some serious tweaking. Seems like Parker was trying to please a different class of people with some of there decisions on this boat and overlooked what most real fisherman want. (this is only my opinion)

PS- Glad to see this post back on topic. Beginning to wonder a bit.. :wink:

optimaxfish":3hcpz3ml said:
NO, NO, NO fishbox in the floor!!! :D never

One of Parker's best features is the transom fish box. Floor fish box has weak lid, requires a macerator that never works, won't hold ice (seawater melts), hard to clean, and dangerous with lid often left open. No thanks. .

Have you never fished a "Real" sport fisherman like Viking or Ocean Yacht? They have all fish boxes the floor. For good reasons

-Try lifting a 200# plus fish into a transom box? Compared to a Floor box. Through the tuna door into the box...makes sense don't ya think.

- No coolers on the deck = more fishing room.

- If Parker builds the floor box lid it will not be weak :wink:

- How is a transom box easier to clean? :?

- Macerators are as dependable as any other marine electronics and why do you need one in the floor and not in transom box? :?

- Seawater does not get in floor box with lipped/lid design? Besides you need an ice maker to replenish ice built in or a refrigerated box either suitable for a boat this caliber.

- The lid is not dangerous the operator of it can be. Quality ones have shocks to hold them up.

- The weight of your fish (if you catch any) is better down low to improve your rides stability verses elevated in a transom box.

You must have fished an inferior boat with a weak lid; broken macerator and poor cockpit design that allows lots of seawater lay on the deck and intrude the fish box. My experience (on a 60' Viking for several summers) was that the floor ice box is by far the best for fishing and beverages. Out of the way, extremely functional, HUGE (packed 1000#s of tuna and mahi in them and a must have!! (for me)

To start off:

1- Rocket launchers need a library ladder to access them. I dont have a solution, but there's gotta be something better. Maybe a nice fighting chair with a 6 rod launcher on the back of it? :D

2- Remove transom fish box, its a waste of space, does anyone use them? We added a 162qt Igloo Marine cooler on the swim deck b/c its insulated! Unlike the transom box, which has become crappy storage for us.

3- I have no compliants really for the tuna door, although it could be improved. Hey, its better than none, what we are all used to. Just keep a few more gaffs and be optimistic, we vacuum packed our cum-a-long for use if we ever need it and so it wont rust.

4- In floor refrigeration is a must! There is more than enough room down below! I will settle for in floor boxes. I can always throw our canyon freezer bag down in it.

5. The second station is very nice. Lets the captain get in on the action when a big fish is spooling you and you need to back down on it. This way, the captain has a better view of the angler, crew, rod, line, fish, ect. Not all the way up inside the cabin.

6. Throw a tower on this bad boy. Its screaming for one!

7. Different power options! I am not talking about different yammies, I am talking about straight inboard diesels! I have to run a minimum of 60 miles to get to the canyons, and I want two of them, I have a single now and that makes us put way too much trust in the engine.

8. IPS drives!!! IPS drives!!!! IPS drives!!!! However the bow thruster is a nice touch, but the IPS drives on Pentas are AWESOME. That would bump up the price quite a bit, but who cares, this boat would be unbelievable!

9. Get rid of the granite, thats lame. For that matter, give me a nice storage cabniet there instead. I fish on a boat, and cook at home.

The boat we are passing all this ideas on should be 215k or less.

Oh, Praise the Lord we are on track! :p Finally I see the true and constructive criticism from Parker owners. I have already posted my opinions on the 3420, but I would say that a little pipework from the roof down to the gunnel to the rear side of the wheelhouse with rocket launchers. I don't know, but it might work. You hvae all pointed out some very strong weaknesses in this model that should be addressed.

stacked rod holders on the ladder going up to the tower would work nicely....and just get rid of the rocket launcher all together

optimaxfish":1fcy6cf1 said:
as far as the "shotgun lines", if this is what we call flat lines, simply run a release clip off transom with mono or wire high enough to clear motors and fish on. Lots of guys have their transom rod holders outside of transom mounted beside of and if theres room in front of motors.

I am suprised no one has mentioned the transom door. its outswing, IMO a dangerous design.

not really talking about flatlines, i run my flatlines off of my corner holders. what im talking about is 1) a wwwwwwb line, which there is no place for on this boat, and 2) rods that are not clipped, but just run straight from the rod tip back mid-length in the middle of the spread. and im confused as to how youre running lines straight back over the engines from rodholders that are not mounted on the transom? :? i hate those rocketlauncher-esque racks that some guys mount on their sterns in front of the engines, not only do i not want my $1000 a shot rods riding in some rack thats thrubolted outside of the cockpit, but theyre also straight up and down, which makes it very difficult to remove a rod from the holder, even if you didnt have to reach over the transom. plus, i dont think you should have to resort to adding racks such as that on this class of boat. without a chair, theres very little place to mount rodholders that face directly over the transom.

also, how is the outswing door a dangerous design? i'd think that an inward swinging door would not only get in the way when open, but if not latched in heavy seas could swing inward and smash knees, as well as potentially opening the transom to water intrusion. plus, that tuna door isnt wide enough for anyone to stumble through if it DID swing open outward :wink:

i agree with Maxout about the in deck boxes, in fact i meant to say that in my original post. if Parker built them they would be huge and not flimsy like some manufacturers, if they gasketed them they could even just be dry storage. plus, i HATE having a bunch of big coolers flying around the pit.

on the note of not fighting a fish from the transom, thats all well and good, but when Mr. Big Tuna decides that hed rather be on the starboard side rather than port, how you have to get him around the boat somehow. neither the transom nor the bow nor actually swimming under the boat offer good options in this case :roll:

optimaxfish":1p0vbwuj said:
maxout":1p0vbwuj said:
optimaxfish":1p0vbwuj said:
NO, NO, NO fishbox in the floor!!! :D never

One of Parker's best features is the transom fish box. Floor fish box has weak lid, requires a macerator that never works, won't hold ice (seawater melts), hard to clean, and dangerous with lid often left open. No thanks. .

Have you never fished a "Real" sport fisherman like Viking or Ocean Yacht? They have all fish boxes the floor. For good reasons

no i haven't. I did rent a 3bdr/2ba condo once. it was near the water. about the same thing?

Not Quite.

-Try lifting a 200# plus fish into a transom box? Compared to a Floor box. Through the tuna door into the box...makes sense don't ya think.

ill give you that one. personally, i could care less about tuna fishing.

- No coolers on the deck = more fishing room.

no coolers on my deck, i use the transom box. btw, center console = more fishing room (leave out the 3bdr/2ba)

CC = Cold & Wet with lots of room. No Thanks, most of our fishing here is during the fall and spring. Got to have a cabin its cold & windy. I never fish off the bow and prefer the extra room in the cockpit.

- If Parker builds the floor box lid it will not be weak :wink:

I have never seen a fishing boat w/lids that didnt flex admittedly, I have not been on your floating condo Viking either.

Have faith in Parker...If they build it the lid would not flex. The lid is built like the floor with 3/4" Marine grade plywood glassed like a shoe box lid.

- How is a transom box easier to clean? :?

it drains overboard naturally (something called gravity) and dont have to be on hands and knees to clean, an important feature especially if you fish in sanfrancisco :D

You must have never seen a deck box plummed as they drain below the water line and use that same mysterious force you speak of "gravity". Gravity & suction from a moving vessle. Better design than no macerator and a transom box.

-Macerators are as dependable as any other marine electronics and why do you need one in the floor and not in transom box? :?

part a, really? and part b, look above, the part about gravity.

You really think so?

- Seawater does not get in floor box with lipped/lid design? Besides you need an ice maker to replenish ice built in or a refrigerated box either suitable for a boat this caliber.

I have not seen a small boat w/floor fishbox that wouldnt fill w/seawater, especially when the macerator froze up /fishscales. I didn't know scales would clog a macerator? Buy a better one mine chews up bait fish whole![/color]. perhaps your inflooricemaker whatever is helpful to replentish ice while on your 20knot viking. I hope to be back before dark.

Now I know for sure you have never been on a 60' Viking as they are known for there impressive top speeds (like Bently - luxury and performance). TRY 45knots! I will be home before you in 12' seas besides a 60' Viking is a home!!

- The lid is not dangerous the operator of it can be. Quality ones have shocks to hold them up.

reread my comment. the danger comes when your quality shock holds the door up and someone slips and falls in.

You don't ride around with the box open? I have never seen anyone come close to falling in. You may need to watch your beer consumption :lol: )

- The weight of your fish (if you catch any) is better down low to improve your rides stability verses elevated in a transom box.

I would hope your vikings balance would not be upset hauling a few fish. I was refering to your boat remember Vikings have deck boxes and a 1000#'s in your transom box and you will not plane well if at all. I dont seem to suffer hauling fish in my little parker. you probably catch better fish than me. Nice fish!! impressive do you have a problem throwing a cast net off the bow or working 6' surf for bait in yer sportfishing viking? I buy my bait fish or hook & line it (besides I will launch the dingy if I want to cast a net) Do you ever tow it to the keys for a week or so? Nope I drive it. :wink: I tow my 2520SL.

You must have fished an inferior boat with a weak lid; broken macerator and poor cockpit design that allows lots of seawater lay on the deck and intrude the fish box. My experience (on a 60' Viking for several summers) was that the floor ice box is by far the best for fishing and beverages. Out of the way, extremely functional, & HUGE packed 1000#s of tuna and mahi in them and a must have!! (for me)

gotta go now, gonna get a sawzall and make me a floor ice box just like the REAL sportfishers have. :roll:
Sweet! Don't get offended because I disagree with you. We all fish with our own style and prefer the boat that fits our style. I do not own the Viking only the 2520SL I will get another Viking some day when I move further south like Key West!!

Back