2003 Parker 2120 Sport Cabin-Modified

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppem45

Reaction score
I purchased this boat from Diamond Marine in East Haven Ct in May of 2008. I loved the boat and the price was unbelievable ($26,000.00) so I grabbed it up. It is powered by a 2003 Yamaha HPDI 200hp and the engine only had 114 hrs and had never been in salt water. The only problem I had with the boat was the transom was low and I would often get a following sea coming over and getting my feet wet and I did not want the small wall that they supply you with from Parker as it took up too much of the cockpit.Secondly I was confined to the cabin to operate the boat as there was no outside station.

The first thing I did was to replace the Rocket Launcher that someone lifted while it was sitting alone somewhere in upstate NY

I added a bulkhead second station so I could be out where the fun is and still have complete control. I Changed the insde helm and added a new helm outside. Changed the controls from single lever to Morse double lever for smooth and easy operation. Works out great because now I can go out alone and have no problem taking it into any tight areas.

My biggest change comes with the closing of the transom and adding an Armstrong engine bracket. Parker does not make a 2120 with an enclosed transom so the only thing I could do was close it up. My fiberglass man and I started talking and soon we were on our way to a dealer to do some measuring and start to figure what changes would have to be made. We also talked to Armstrong about the possibility of building a bracket for the boat. It is not yet complete but will be done very soon.

There is one other problem with this particular model and year and that is that it is designed to be a great fishing boat but there was no livewell. We have designed and built into the transom a 16 gallon livewell. It also is not completed but some paint and the plumbing will finish it off. I am very excited about the project and cannot wait to mount the engine on her and put her in the drink next year and try her out.

I finished building and installing the new box to hold the new Morse controls. I built it out of Starboard and managed to steal some carpet from under the gunnels inside the cabin. It will not be missed as I took it from behind the bench seat. THe box holds the controls and also the ignition switch. Very sturdy and it clears my seat and I can still get at the circuit breakers with no trouble.

The boat is coming home tomorrow and it now has a solid transom. I sure wish it was Spring instead of Fall . I still have to have the engine mounted and that is not getting done until Feb.
The engine is on the boat and all the electric, hydraulics, and controls are done. Here is a couple of new pictures that shows the second station and the engine mounted along with the dash board with the new Fuel Management Guage under the original two Yamaha guages.

I just finished all the work that I wanted to get done this winter and I am going to get the boat wet on Monday. I have just finished a Windlass installation also and do have pictures to post but I want to get some of her in the water and have some good numbers as well. Spring must be around the corner.

She went in the water this morning just for sea trials and I was totally impressed with the entire boat and her performance. She gets up on plane quicker and the ride is incredible, at 4100rpm's she is sitting on 29mph with no cavitation. I have to say that I never expected it to perform so well or to be so quiet, with the cabin door closed you can hardly hear the engine running. There is a slight list to the starboard but that is because there is a little more weight on that side, an easy correction with a tap of the trim tab. We marked the waterline and it has not changed on the boat at all. There was no porpoissing, just a real comfortable ride and I am sure there will be a savings on fuel. I think the biggest differance will be that my feet will stay dry. It was a lot of work and a lot of time but it was worth every cent and the time was a labor of love. Parker should put this style boat in their lineup as it is small but performs like a much larger boat and less docking fees than a bigger boats. I am fortunate that they don't charge for brackets at my marina but they will get you for a pulpit.

Parker makes a very sturdy boat!

I will post more pictures as we progress :roll:

I want to thank the following people for there help in this project

Bob Brodeur North Kingstown, RI
James, parts manager @ Parker Beaufort, NC
Don's Marine Tiverton, RI
Robin Parker, Marketing Parker Boats Beaufort, NC
Eric Denton, Engineering Parker Boats Beaufort, NC
Jack, sales associate at 3Marine Hingam,MA
Ocean House Marina Charlestown, RI
Snug Harbor Marine Service RI
Micheal @Coastal Canvas Beaufort, NC

Attachments

• Retro-Fit 3.jpg
    Retro-Fit 3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14,372
  • Retro-Fit 4.JPG
    Retro-Fit 4.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 14,366
  • Parker 048 (Small).jpg
    Parker 048 (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 13,814
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 8,452
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 8,447
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 8,449
nice work.

Parker does not put a bracket on the 21 because of the tendency to porpoise. a Permatrim on the A/V plate will negate that. again very nice.

that is what is so cool about Parkers........they are so easy to modify to meet your specific needs.

Looks like the factory 12 inch wide trim tabs are still on the transom? If they are 12 wides, you might look at going to 18 inch wide to help with all the weight you have moved aft. My 2120 with a lighter F150 engine responds much better with the wider tabs that help me overcome a stern heavy boat. The closed transom should look great as will the additional deck area. Be looking forward to your performance numbers when she is completed and trialed. Keep up the good photos too! Thanks................Pete

Hi Dale, I was wondering if you would chime in. I have read many of your posts and apprreciate many of the answers and ideas you present. This site is a great place to learn a lot about Parkers.

I still have a long way to go before she will be the way I want. I fish a lot as I am retired and as you can see I love to work on my boats. I had a 1973 Aquasport 22.2 Classic prior to this one. I completely restored and retro-fitted it to the point where I could not do any more to it. I had wanted a Parker for a long time but did not want to put out the big bucks to get one. I did buy this boat right so here I am. I have enclosed a coulple of pictures of my Aquasport for your viewing.

I will continue to watch for your posts and if you have any ideas feel free to let me know. Thanks again for the good feedback, Peter

Attachments

• New Boat 1 006_Resize_1 (Small).jpg
    New Boat 1 006_Resize_1 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 14,522
  • Passing Thru 2 174 (Small).jpg
    Passing Thru 2 174 (Small).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14,522
Very nice work so far on the 2120 Peter! :wink:

That Aquasport 222 brings back memories too. That was the first "big boat" I ever piloted back when I was a youngster. :)
You did a very nice job on that reatoration, so I have no doubt that the 2120 will be a head turner as well.

I was very lucky when it came to buying the second station, I found a Parker dealer that had one but it had a small defect in the left corner top, but it was miner. I repaired it for nothing. Final cost with shipping was about $226.00. I was very lucky for sure. If you are looking for one just call around and see what you come up with. It dosen't have to be a Parker second station, just paint it Parker colors and it will blend right in. Good Luck! Peter

ppem45":gjkl6dag said:
It dosen't have to be a Parker second station

Very true.
Mine came off a 25 C-Hawk and it matches the Parker gelcoat perfectly. :wink:

Image-C091835C0FE011DC.jpg

If you are interested in the cost of doing this to my boat, look below at the thread titled "Have you ever seen a 2120 Sport Cabin with an engine bracket"? Check it out!

I took my 2120 PH over to have the motor mounted back on the boat. It will be ready sometime next week and I will post new pictures. Getting anxious, can't wait to launch her and see how much of an inprovement the engine bracket will be.

Well the marina I use for all my hydraulics, engine and fine tuning finished mounting my engine today. I could not bring it home because it snowed hard all day. I am enclosing some pictures, check it out

Attachments

• Parker 003.JPG
    Parker 003.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 9,498
  • SANY0167.JPG
    SANY0167.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 9,507
  • SANY0161.JPG
    SANY0161.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 9,495
I just realized that your Morse controls are the direct opposite of mine.
My throttle lever (red) is on the right, and my transmission lever (black) is on the left.

Yours

parker_003_129.jpg

Mine

Image-0B02B4E859B911DC.jpg

I think it is preferance Kevin cuz when we installed them I decided because of my bad arthritis in my hands that it would be best on the right so I could rest my hand on it as I accelerated.
I look at Dale's and your boat all the time to make sure I have things in order, nice boats, good ideas. I am going to install a Swivel-Eze removable seat at the second station this weekend. I was a truck driver for 32 years and it took its toll on my hands and knees so it will also be my fishing seat.

ppem45":1f8p9w0y said:
I am going to install a Swivel-Eze removable seat at the second station this weekend. I was a truck driver for 32 years and it took its toll on my hands and knees so it will also be my fishing seat.

I have RA too, so I know what you mean. :(

Looking forward to photos of that Swivel-Eze seat. :wink:

Back