0, 2, or 4 degree Wedge for Seaview Radar Mount?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpg1969

Reaction score
Guys,
We are adding radar to our 2520 and was wondering if anyone has recommendation from their personal experience on either a 2 or 4 degree wedge (or none needed) for application with a Seaview 5" mount.
Thanks.

jpg1969":2622bo1w said:
Guys,
We are adding radar to our 2520 and was wondering if anyone has recommendation from their personal experience on either a 2 or 4 degree wedge (or none needed) for application with a Seaview 5" mount.
Thanks.

The guy that I bought the radar from also does installs and recommended the 4 degree. I bought that and it seems to work well for my application. There is a way to determine exactly what works best for your boat and the way you operate most of the time. I understand there is an iPhone app that you can download and run your boat and it will tell you the pitch your boat is most often running at and what would be best. I didn't go through all that.

Steve

jpg1969":1rizxgvf said:
Guys,
Thanks.

I dont have radar but what is the angle with the boat in the water?

I didnt think a wedge is needed for objects 2 to 3 miles out

Brent,
I think the idea for a wedge is that it is installed under the dome such it angles the bow side down to negate the bow attitude when running. But the compromise is to make sure it still operates properly at rest too.

Luv2fish,
The iPhone app is called U-clinometer. You first calibrate it on a level surface and it does show display angle. Pretty cool. I'm planning for the 4 degree but will confirm against the app.

Thanks.

I didn't think you need a wedge for short distance but is useful for further out
I don't know, I believe that to be quite the foolish option ... as a radar is a SAFETY :shock: item!

In heavy seas, rain, night, and any combination of inclement weather/running conditions, your radar might be fooled by the rain or seas to where your sea/rain clutter buttons mask a true signal or return ... because one had to turn them up so high to 'clear the screen'. Collision avoidance is a real danger and should be a concern.

Look, most of us have already done the math, 4-degrees works for the 'typical' Parker boat. The app is free, and if one doesn't have an iPhone, one must know someone who does. A quick app install, setup, and ride would provide the real answer.

Maybe it's just me ... but I don't fool around with SAFETY items.

Back