1" hole that needs to be filled

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
I have 8 1" holes in the deck that goes all the way through. Can I get some advice on how to fill them? I was thinking I would somehow block/seal the bottom of the holes and fill with epoxy, but not sure that is the appropriate repair. The holes are from a cooler seat that was bolted down, water got in and I had to drill out the holes to remove rotted wood. Not sure that was the right thing to do but now that it's done...

Thanks

Drill holes larger to clean material
clean with acetone
add tape around the topside holes
coat holes with epoxy. Warthog uses a gun bore swab
allow to dry
Duct tape or Gorilla tape for the hole bottom if you can access
if not
use little piece of fiberglass mat wetted with epoxy and slowly push it to the bottom on the hole
with a coffee stirrer or other item. I would mark it to avoid pushing it out the bottom
allow to setup and inspect
Use thickened epoxy with Cabosil (fused silica) in a big syringe and fill
one way m2cw

see
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck

Thanks Brent, I basically ended up doing what you recommended. I used a small brush to coat the inside of the holes with epoxy and then I managed to get some fiberglass in place to plug the bottom of the holes. I did not finish because I didn't have any Cabosil; would cut up fiberglass work just as well? Also I made a hell of a mess with the epoxy, I guess that will need to be sanded off of the deck?

I am going to redo the epoxy plugs. I need to order the epoxy and cabosil and not sure what brand to get; does it matter. I noticed the Totalboat products from Jamestown Distributors has free shipping and is cheaper than the West System product. Is there any reason to go with the WestSystem? Or is there another affordable product that is recommended?

IMO the only reason to go with West is availability.

I don't like filling large holes with thickened resin. I would lay up some fiberglass backer strips and let them cure. Cut them so they have a width that is a hair smaller than the diameter of the holes. Reach into the holes with a small piece of 80 grit and rough up the backside. Rough up the strips, put some thickened 5 min epoxy on the edges and fish them down into the holes. Use whatever means necessary to hold them tight to the underside of the deck while the epoxy cures. Once cured, lay some glass in the bottom of the hole that matches the thickness of the bottom skin, then epoxy in some wood plugs, glass over those and gelcoat.

Back