10 hour break in of Yamaha 200XB

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
Taking delivery of 23 SE w/200F XB with @ 8 hours left on the 10 hour break in period. From what I have read at this point all I have to do is vary speed and don't go full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm bringing the boat by water to the slip which is about a 50 mile run. I'll stop along the way and do some drift fishing at a few spots to break up the trip. As far as varying speed every 15-20 minutes changing speed should be OK? I'm probably over thinking this but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks. Non ethanol gas is not available in Connecticut or I surely would use it.

I have addressed this question on a previous thread to no avail so I will try again here. The operating manual for the 200XB specifies an 89 octane fuel requirement. I heard that there were some damages and failures on some of the earlier 200XBs from detonation and pre-ignition when operators used 87 octane fuel. At one time I did inadvertently fuel my boat with 87 octane and after realizing it I added an octane booster. I did notice however a slight performance and mpg decrease on that tank.
Is there a real Yamaha Tech or Engineer out there that can answer this fuel requirement question once and for all since there are many areas where it is difficult or impossible to get 89 octane marine fuel. My 200XB was manufactured 7/2014 and I would just like to know if it and others are vulnerable. Most modern engines have knock sensors to prevent damage from detonation and pre-ignition and I am hoping such is the case with the 200XB.

When I repowered last year, I remember reading about how the Yamaha inline4 200HP engine computer would reduce power if it detected 87 octane to prevent problems w/ detonation, etc.

I'm assuming using 87 won't cause any damage, but will just reduce performance/MPG.

-- Tom

I have the 300, I put the 87 in it "once" because I was not pay attention, noticeable drop in overall performance. You might want to PM Brad Moore regarding breakin, he's had some issues and spent a lot of time on the phone with Yamaha, what he has heard is interesting.

One thing I discovered, is don't run "WOT for longer than xx", does not mean don't WOT at all, you should.

D

Let me explain varring the throttle a little to you.

The idea is to Load the piston rings.......Buy doing low throttle to high throttle quickly it will load the rings best...Especially while in gear, so it loads the motor.

Now...To give you a example of this in actual use.

Lets say your cruising at 20MPH....A slow speed cruise. About every 5min. Reach over there and nail the throttle hard for a Nano Second......IE: Like you were doing a quick Rev of the motor......That is how you load the rings and this what a major part of the break in is about........

Do that same thing as the clock ticks up at the next cruise speed.....Loading the rings is how you get them to seal properly.

warthog5":1y2r4scj said:
Let me explain varring the throttle a little to you.

The idea is to Load the piston rings.......Buy doing low throttle to high throttle quickly it will load the rings best...Especially while in gear, so it loads the motor.

Now...To give you a example of this in actual use.

Lets say your cruising at 20MPH....A slow speed cruise. About every 5min. Reach over there and nail the throttle hard for a Nano Second......IE: Like you were doing a quick Rev of the motor......That is how you load the rings and this what a major part of the break in is about........

Do that same thing as the clock ticks up at the next cruise speed.....Loading the rings is how you get them to seal properly.
Thanks Warthog. The loading of the rings explanation is one I haven't heard before.

Loading the rings is what wears them to seat them......Seating them gets the ring seal right.....When that right no oil consumption and proper power.

Back