150 Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kport

Reaction score
Hi Al, I have just purchased a 2017 Parker 2120. It has a Yamaha 150 with approximately 170 hours on it.

Being a new owner I’m hoping someone could help me. It seems to bog down when taking off.

I had it spring service is done completely.

It does not seem like it is enough engine to get it out of the water. I’m thinking maybe change the pitch of the propeller? Any recommendations?

It seems like it would be better to have a 250 on it, but maybe changing the propeller would be

Attachments

• AA0C87A1-CA45-4C8A-9A94-A75E12A917E0.jpeg
    AA0C87A1-CA45-4C8A-9A94-A75E12A917E0.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 26
When you say "it seems to bog down when taking off", are you referring to the RPM's are bogging down and the engine is not making power? OR are you saying, the yamaha 150 is spinning up on RPM's, but it takes a long time to plane the hull?

I would assume you are referring to the latter: But, w/ that 150 motor on that hull, your time to plane can be up to 8 seconds. I know it seems like forever. I truly believe that 150 motor is underpowered for that 2120 hull: Especially when you add a full fuel tank, livewell, 3 guys, gear, ice, fish,etc... She really turns into a dog out of the hole.

My experience w/ that hull has been once she is on plane, super. She loves it. Built like a tank with a nice low center of gravity. But, getting on plane w/ that 150 motor can be painfully slow.... Does this help:?

Maybe a new prop would help get her backend out of the hole. Maybe a permatrim would help. Maybe a nice 300 hp on the transom would be curative for your concerns.

When you say "it seems to bog down when taking off", are you referring to the RPM's are bogging down and the engine is not making power? OR are you saying, the yamaha 150 is spinning up on RPM's, but it takes a long time to plane the hull?

I would assume you are referring to the latter: But, w/ that 150 motor on that hull, your time to plane can be up to 8 seconds. I know it seems like forever. I truly believe that 150 motor is underpowered for that 2120 hull: Especially when you add a full fuel tank, livewell, 3 guys, gear, ice, fish,etc... She really turns into a dog out of the hole.

My experience w/ that hull has been once she is on plane, super. She loves it. Built like a tank with a nice low center of gravity. But, getting on plane w/ that 150 motor can be painfully slow.... Does this help:?

Maybe a new prop would help get her backend out of the hole. Maybe a permatrim would help. Maybe a nice 300 hp on the transom would be curative for your concerns.
Thank you so much, incredibly helpful! I have done some research and I found the same thing. I like your idea of a nice new 300, my wife not so much. She’ll wait the eight seconds!

Thank you so much, incredibly helpful! I have done some research and I found the same thing. I like your idea of a nice new 300, my wife not so much. She’ll wait the eight seconds!

LOL. When I get resistance from my better half about boating purchases... I just mention "it's a safety issue, honey"....and that tends to get my foot at least in the door. Enjoy your boat. It was one of my favorite boats, that 2120.. only to be surpassed by my new 2320.

Hi Kport, I just read your post. Small world, this was my boat. If you would like to ask me any questions, just call me. I would be happy to know how she is doing.
Ron. 914-682-4193

my 150 had a stainless 17 pitch prop and had the same issue,I went with a cheap 15 pitch aluminum prop and its a completly diffrent animal hops right up ,you may loose a tiny bit of top speed but its well worth it.
I promise this is your solution, I have 2800 hours on my 150

Back