1801 live well thru hull- need advice.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldnavyjim

Reaction score
My 2000, 1801 is leaking around the live well thru hull. I need to take it out, inspect, and re-install it. Has anybody had one out, and how did you do it. Thanks for any help.

are you talking about the bronze live-well pickup, the pump that is attached to it or the live-well drain? If it is the pickup or the pump, there are a couple of things that can cause leaking. It could very well be the livewell pump housing that is leaking. It is plastic and can easily crack if water gets into it and it freezes. Unscrew it and check for cracks, then examine the bronze fitting. It might be that the pump has to be replaced. It is dangerous to have a leaking or broken pump housing because it can break and allow water to flood the bilge when the switch is open, which usually is the case when you are using it.

john

It is the bronze llve well pickup. I have water in the bilge every time I use the boat,and i have ruled out all other posibilities. The thru hull has a ball valve made into it, and I keep it closed all the time as I dont use the live well. It looks like it will be a two person job to get the fitting out. The scoop on the bottom of the boat has two screws in it, and the fitting in the bilge has three bolt holes in it, but no bolts. I guess it screws together to hold it tight. I wonder if heating the thru hull will mess up the ball valve seats?

jim

I have a 2007 1801 and get water in the bilge everytime I go out and use the livewell. I have looked at all my livewell connections and determined nothing is leaking including my bronze pickup. I usually collect at least a gallon or more everytime, almost enough to activate the bilge pump. I feel if I start messing with the pickup I'll probably open a can of worms and wish I hadn't started that project. I just make sure I drain and rinse the bilge good after use.

I have a 2007 1801 and get water in the bilge everytime I go out and use the livewell. I have looked at all my livewell connections and determined nothing is leaking including my bronze pickup. I usually collect at least a gallon or more everytime, almost enough to activate the bilge pump. I feel if I start messing with the pickup I'll probably open a can of worms and wish I hadn't started that project. I just make sure I drain and rinse the bilge good after use.

First of all, thank you all for replying. I was beginning to think no one was, but knew Classic Parker is better than that.

My thru hull has a ball valve made into the casting. It has a flange with three empty bolt holes inside the bilge. The pump mounts on the top of the thru hull. Outside the hull is a bronze scoop with two screws. I think they screw together to make a seal. It will not leak when filled with water(on the trailer) It is like yours, Keauhou, it only leaks under pressure.

I tried turning the fitting in the boat with a pipe wrench(with less than killer pressure), but it did not move. I am thinking one outside the boat and one in the boat, both with wrenches. Any ideas?

jim

We had the same problem on our 2310 a few years back. Every time we would take the boat out, we came back to the dock with about two gallons of water in the bilge. Couldn’t figure out where this water was coming from so I tested all the thru hulls at the water line and bellow. Then turned on the live well pump and found a small trickle of water shooting out when the pump was running. So it might be hard for you to test it while it out of the water. But if you have the time you might want to remove the pump and go over it for cracks. I found mine on the fitting that the hose connected to. hope this helps.
Steve

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 785
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 784
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 784
Thanks Fishfactory. I think what I am going to do is wait a couple of weeks until I launch it for the season in a nearby lake. Then I can rule out the pump being cracked, and can watch it at speed. If That does not work, I will take it apart, inspect, and reinstall so it wont leak. At least that will rule out another possibility. thanks for all the advice. tight Lines.

jim

like this

If it is, and it is the culprit then use a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut nut off and it will come out in a second or too, if its not leaking then ????

Attachments

• 1009091455a.jpg
    1009091455a.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 766
FishFactory":33ct5sqr said:
Keauhou, you sure yer wash-down is not leaking ? Do you sometimes hear wash-down pump cycle on-off ? Do you have a "Parker" factory installed livewell ? Can you have a slow leak in drain ?

OldNavyJim, that's a bronze or brass high speed pickup and sea cock. They have common tapered pipe fittings. Should come apart.

I don't believe it's my washdown pump. I did have to replace the factory tube that runs from the pump to the chrome outlet as the factory screws were rubbing the tube which eventually caused it to leak. I replaced and made the tube shorter so no issue there. I do have a factory livewell installed at Parker and none of the 3 connections are wet while in use. I have thought there may be leaking water coming from under the rubrail as the bow goes thru swells originating by the anchor locker???

Keauhou, I taped and sealed my rub rail and inside deck -hull seam with silicone and it did not affect it at all. If the rub rail leaks aft of the anchor locker bulkhead, it would run down the deck and out the scuppers. The search continues.

Here are a few pics of the suspected problem area.

Attachments

• DSCN3005.JPG
    DSCN3005.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCN3009.JPG
    DSCN3009.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCN3006.JPG
    DSCN3006.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 741
Funny, I also get about 2 gallons of water in the bilge when running. I also can't figure out where it is coming from. It happens even if the livewell valve is turned off. Perhaps if could be the rubrails. I thought at first it was dripping in from the deck hatch but that didn't fix it. So far I'm just living with it till I eventually find the leak.

Back