1991 parker 25 what do you think?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmhunts

Reaction score
Hello out there parker fans. Im wes I am currently a classic mako fan and my ride is a 77 mako 20 with an Yamaha 175 sweet boat but not big enough to spend time offshore. I have heard many good things about Parker boats and there is one I found on craigslist which is also posted on this site. Its a 1991 parker 25 with a Yamaha 225 rebuilt and a Yamaha 9.9kicker. Can anyone tell me about this model boat the owner says it is pre 2520 and not a deep V. I don't mind shallow deadrise being they are more stable when anchored and drifting which is what I would do with this boat 10 of the 12hrs in a day of fishing. I have not been to see the boat yet. He is asking 15 does that seem like a fair price? And any input on the quality, ride, general pros and cons of this model would be greatly appreciated
thanks Wes

I have a 1990 25 CC that I'm in love with, but I'm not an off-shore fisherman, pretty much stay in the Pamlico Sound, and sometimes in close to the beach when in the ocean. I believe the 1991 model is still before Parker came out with the SE hulls, and is a 14 degree deadrise, vs the 16 degrees of the 25 SE. It is a fast, fuel efficient hull that does great with a 200 hp Honda, and is a wonderfully stable fishing platform. But I'm guessing its not the hull you want for off shore. Perhaps some of the guys on this board can weigh in on how the 16 degree 25 SEs do out there. Good Luck.

Peter Boettger
Greenville, NC

wmhunts":2879r1ba said:
I'm Wes ...currently a classic mako fan ... sweet boat but not big enough to spend time offshore. I have heard many good things about Parker boats and there is one I found on craigslist ...
Welcome aboard Classic Parker!

Wes, you came to the right place!

wmhunts":2879r1ba said:
Can anyone tell me about this model boat the owner says it is pre 2520 and not a deep V. He is asking 15 does that seem like a fair price? And any input on the quality, ride, general pros and cons of this model would be greatly appreciated
Wes, that must be the same as I have ('92 vintage 2520). It is a 14-degree deadrise boat. Does that one have a full transom and OB bracket or is it a cut-out?

Specs:
Length 25' transom to bow ... a TRUE 25' boat, I get billed for 32' when docking at foreign docks! As the OB bracket and pulpit add length overall.

14-degree deadrise

Weight 'empty' listed at 3600 pound, but I feel that is light and doesn't include any of the systems, cables, hydraulics, or wiring. Read up on mine, she weighs in at 3-tons fully loaded in the water!

Fuel capacity - probably the same 126gallons mine has, you should be able to read the tank label.

Issues:
Boats of these year were not glassed on the underneath of the deck. Best advice I can give is to vent the bilge. Use the search feature on my name for the terms 'dry bilge vent' and you'll be reading for a while.

My boat has had ZERO structural issues and I am only now starting to see some stress cracks in some glass areas, but minimal!

Ride:
She is what she is ... a heavy, beamy-for-its-length boat. She will pound in a head sea and needs trim tabs. If an OB bracketed boat, install Bennett 9" chord (depth off hull) by 30" wide (span) tabs and don't look back!

Use the search feature for the terms '14 offshore ride' and you'll be reading for an even longer while! Bottom line, yeah it is NOT a go-fast and I need to slow down in a heads sea, but when I can't even stand on my deck to fish, the other boats had left a long time ago ..

Value:
IMHO asking $15K sounds like a fair starting price, but know having done an OB rebuild myself, I put ZERO value in the life of a rebuilt OB. It is only a matter of time before something else goes or she just lacks power. Other systems may need repairs or all out replacement.

If you could get it for well less than that - (beware, SIGHT UNSEEN by me, could be a dog or could be a bargain!) - then you just might have something! But I still would have a survey. The boats were built extremely well built, but that doesn't mean that subsequent owners didn't install something correctly and the wood core has been sacrificed or compromised. Email or PM me as needed ...

You also need to consider you are really, in effect, just buying an OLD hull, again due to rebuilt motor ...

thank you very much, the guy is firm on his price he doesn't want to lose money, I guess he doesn't understand he has a boat. I agree about the rebuild you cant make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Nada values boat and equipment at 8500. In that range I WOULD JUMP ON IT and repower. I figured The boat would bang a bit but that 9'6" beam and 14degree deadrise is very appealing to me. Thanks again this boat is in the For sale section on this site maybe you guys could help me get him down to realistic value by posting. Im dreaming about posting pics of my new boat

I would be careful in using Nada, I find they actually under value Parkers. Do some research to find the good market price. Not sure why Parkers "book" values are so low compare to dealership prices, my finance guy mentioned the dealership's profit margins are very high on new parkers.

jutah09":2nh36cei said:
I would be careful in using Nada, I find they actually under value Parkers.
From my experience buying and selling boats for well over 30-years, NADA under-values all boats, as compared to the avg actual retail price, by a good 30 to 40%.

IMHO NADA is good for a buyer, but a horrible obstacle to overcome as a seller!

As far as boats go, given that a Parker is an extremely well made boat, I'd rather buy a well-cared for 20-year old hull than a newer abused 10-year old hull ...

well the guy has winterized it for the season and is headed to florida. I cant say how the boat has been treated but if filth is a sign of general care it has been treated poorly looks good outside, but filthy inside

wmhunts":2ihgu8h3 said:
well the guy has winterized it for the season and is headed to florida. I cant say how the boat has been treated but if filth is a sign of general care it has been treated poorly looks good outside, but filthy inside

Filth can be cleaned. Poor maintenance is... poor maintenance.

My boat is a 1996 MVSC (14 degree deadrise) and when I went to see it, it was horribly filthy and the bilge was full of water and oil.
Discovered the oil was from a leaking HPU from the trim tabs and it was full of water because the previous owner left a box of trolling weights on top of the bilge pump float switch.

If you can see through the dirt, you might be able to negotiate a deal.
I did.

Filth is easy to fix. The 'deferred maintenance' items, might take a little longer.
Good luck!

BTW - I posted frequently, and was a daily visitor to ClassicMako before CP evolved.
You may still be able to find my project posts in the archives. :)

When ClassicParker was taking shape, I lobbied for the name to be what it is today.
ClassicMako and ClassicSeacraft came first, but ClassicParker has been here for the Parker faithful ever since.

Yes Filth is easily taken care of. I was hoping I could use the dirt for bargaining power, but this guy won't budge. i really like the boat It is all set up for Tuna wishing with lee holders and second steering station. I was just hoping to get him down so I could Zuki fourstroke repower,but I may have to bite the bullet with another used 2stroke yamaha. This boat will spend 90% of the time bobbing in the waves any way

i have a1991 25Parker SE/cc.The two main things i would check for would be rotted flooring and a leaking fuel tank.I had those two issues with mine since buying mine in 1993.A great fishing platform but not for open ocean/gulf fishing.

fish46 why do you think this boat is not a good choice for open ocean fishing?

I use my boat often in bays with 1-18 ft of water that produces waves and chop. It rides well enough with tabs up to around 3-footers.

When I go further out in deeper waters and a swell starts to develop then the ride goes down hill fast. The hull has a tendency to ride up and down with the swells and the hull will slam down on the back side, even with motor and tabs down a lot. It is not very comfortable.

fish46":1l3egpta said:
When I go further out in deeper waters and a swell starts to develop then the ride goes down hill fast. The hull has a tendency to ride up and down with the swells and the hull will slam down on the back side, even with motor and tabs down a lot. It is not very comfortable.
I cannot disagree with that ...

If I had had the choice when I found my empty and 'abandoned' hull, me thinks I would have been better off with the deep-V, now that I go offshore further.

well thanks for the input. Glad I didn't buy the boat yet. The main reason I want a bigger boat is to fish rougher seas so maybe I should be going deep V. Maybe back to mako I know where there is a nice 258 for sale cheap and I just saw a pair of optis I could power it with. Would still like a parker but the deepVs are expensive! and not many used for sale (I wonder why) Ill keep shopping thanks guys

wmhunts":2slx5p55 said:
well thanks for the input. Glad I didn't buy the boat yet. The main reason I want a bigger boat is to fish rougher seas so maybe I should be going deep V. Maybe back to mako I know where there is a nice 258 for sale cheap and I just saw a pair of optis I could power it with. Would still like a parker but the deepVs are expensive! and not many used for sale (I wonder why) Ill keep shopping thanks guys
You need a Downeast inboard diesel boat ...

youre right I do need a downeast diesel, that's the stuff dreams are made of. someday for now I need something to get me out there and fish safer than my 20ft mako

I'm also a fan of the DownEasters. A Holland 32 appeared in my harbor this year, what a beautiful boat bot underway and at rest. I thought I'd look them up to see what they get for them. I found two used online, at different levels of yacht-finish, both Gas-powered. The prices $350,000 and $440,000. Yikes! I guess I'll stick with my 2520 DV inboard for a few more years...

Back