1994 2530 DV volvo penta diesel I/O duoprop

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEWARBABY

Reaction score
I currently have a B6 duoprop installed on the boat. I find it dificult to get the boat on plane. Even at full throttle, it takes awhile to get on plane. I seems to plow through the water for a bit until it finally works its way onto plane. Does anyone recall the original prop for this configuration. Additionally, what duoprops are others happy with currently if they have changed. My mechanic suggested an A4 set. He is well experienced but I would like to hear from others before investing in a new set of props. I do plan on e-mailing the plant as well. I was over there a few weeks ago and spoke with Eric from engineering. I had a bunch of questions and failed to ask this one then. Thanks to all.

I'd also update your trim tabs and would probably put 24", 32" (custom), or 36" span (width) tabs of 12" chord (projection) on the stern.

Dayum, I thought your rig was for sale ... I'd like a diesel boat.

The owner of the house where I keep my boat has a 2002 model 2510 DV with the Diesel/Duoprop set up.
He is running a mercCruiser 4.2 D-Tronic engine mated to a Brave 3 out drive.
The boat is far from a speed demon and does in fact take some time to plane off. This holds true wether or not you throttle up easy or hard., with or without using the tabs. The main thing is that it does plane off and offers a fantastic ride with great fuel useage. Typical running at 1800 RPM"s at 18 knots burning about 4 to 5 GPH is nothing to sneeze at.
He does not seem to mind the slow planing and he along with I, at our ages are in no great rush to get to where we are going.

Tom

My other boat had a 5 liter gas mercruiser mated with a bravo iii outdrive with duo props. The outdrive came stock with 2 Merc Mirage props.

I didn't have a planing issue but I thought you might like to know what props they put on the gas driven duo props...

Thanks guys. I received a reply from Eric with Parker. He provided me with the data sheet for a similiar configuration. It indicated that the A8 was determined to be the desired duo prpo set. I just need to verify that my outdrive has the same gear ratio as that of the test article. If all goes well, I will be able to get on plane in a more reasonable amount of time. I had fished on her, "Mary T", with the original purchaser when she was new and we knew she could do better. He just couldn't remember which prop it came with and the installed prop was an extra he picked up in case of an emergency. I hope to start going offshore here in Eastern North Carolina. I have to say the diesel is good for that. The last time I fished on this boat was off Hatteras in 1998 and we grilled the best tuna that I have ever had. Time will tell. Thanks for the inputs.

Attachments

• 2520 DVEC KAD42 comp.jpg
    2520 DVEC KAD42 comp.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 325
Looks like 'small' performance to me ;)

(Send to me if/as needed ...)

Well, after many months of steadily degrading performance, I had to part the boat at the marina. Based on the fact that performance got worse over time, the prop was rejected as the root cause. Another look by the diesel mechanic (Mel) revealed a cracked exhaust elbow. The problem persisted with no more than approx. 1100 rpm being achieved at full throttle. Mel than took an extra body with him in order to run the boat and examine the engine. They discovered that the casing around the after-cooler had separated. Most of the air was expelled directly into the bilge/engine box. They removed it and I took it to repair. It was held together by four screws. One of the screw heads had corroded and popped of, which allowed the gap to form. When I attempted to remove the remaining screws, two of the heads broke off and one came out intact. After getting the screw remains out, the area was cleaned and reassembled with high temp sealant and new hardware. Yesterday the “Mary T” turned 3800 rpm FOT @ 31 kts and 27 kts at 3500 rpm. Finally! Thanks for all of your inputs.

Good that it was figured out.

Two years ago I was helping a friend move a boat up the coast to Cape Cod and in NJ when air gas supply for the turbo on one CAT inboard come off. Somewhat similar results. No speed from the engine. Was very tight to find, easier to see on one engine than the other.

Dana

Back