• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2002 2520 MV for sale

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott-MD":29eubje8 said:
OK, so to get over there to the fish reef off TI I need two things: (1) a free afternoon at Tyler's for some tackle, and (2) the answer to another important question.

What's with the "restricted zone" on the charts that extends out from the naval radar installation just south of Chesapeake Beach? It's basically a huge cone projected out into the Bay right between Chesapeake Beach and my house (in the Camp Roosevelt neighborhood, just south of the installation--right where there's a pier on the charts). The notation on my chart basically says to consult the Department of Defense. I can't believe an area that big and inconvenient is really closed to traffic, but I don't want to run afoul of the Navy either.

For tackle, I went easy, and low-tech. 1/0 or 2/0 Circle hooks fished on the bottom using ordinary (cooked) cocktail shrimp as bait. The croaker love shrimp. :)

As for the restricted zones...

The area between that point on Chesapeake Beach and Black Walnut Point on TI is a Naval radar testing area. It is not active all the time, but when it is, you might not want to be in that cone. I believe that there is a number posted on the sign on shore that you can call to verify their testing schedule.

There are lots of areas in the Bay that are restricted because of Naval testing. Aberdeen Proving Ground (Army) has such areas, as does the target ship ( http://www.thespacereview.com/article/863/1 ) and Naval Air Station Pax River.

All of those areas are marked on your charts and patrol vessels are sent out on picket detail when the ranges are active.
I'll bet if you ask at Tylers, they can tell you how to verify that testing isn't going on so you can fish those areas. :wink:

Back