2003 Parker 2120 Gel Coat polishing.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhyser2120

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Parker 2120 new to me its the off white. I am getting ready to polish and wax for the first time. Is the gel coat on these boats ever high gloss or are they always a daul milky color? Just trying to figure out how bad mine is. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2003 Parker 2120 new to me its the off white. I am getting ready to polish and wax for the first time. Is the gel coat on these boats ever high gloss or are they always a daul milky color? Just trying to figure out how bad mine is. Thanks in advance.
When new, Parker has/had? one of the best-quality, high-gloss, and durable gel coats available. Regular, twice-yearly standard polishing/waxing will help to retain that high-gloss. Our 2013/2014 2520 (the same 'Parker off-white as your boat) looks just about like a new one. We use Colonite products/Fleet Wax, but there are many ClassicParker members here with better advice as to what to use, and what to do to bring back the shine from the dull milky color you mentioned. I'm sure they will come to the rescue!
EDIT: We don't know if Correct Craft will still be using the same gelcoat on new Parkers.... Correct Craft spent a LOT of $$$ installing a new gel-coating room/booth/area in the Parker factory. (Is it an improvement? I hope so)... or is it a cost-saver, and they are not using the original, high-quality gel-coat that Mr. Parker insisted on?) I've posted here on CP a number of times, with the Parker 'formula' of their high-quality gel-coat that Parker was known for using. I wanted to 're-post' it here. But, for the life of me I cannot 're-find' it... when/if I do I will re-post it. I hope Correct Craft is still using it. And NOT using what they used on Correct Crafts...

Last edited:
If your boat is in need of oxidation, which it sounds like, I would use Wizards Turbo Cut and then wax with Meguiar's Flagship Cleaner/wax. I then apply a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Paste Wax. A bit overkill with two waxings, but once restored you can just wax it twice per season. It will shine like glass.

I bought a 2013 2320 last year with some light oxidation/chalkiness on it...I used the same process to fix it as I did on my old boat. First, I pressure washed the whole boat with a 40 degree delicate nozzle and light pressure. I had a lot of green algae and mildew to remove. I used a driveway disk in the cockpit, it worked really well. I used Magic Erasers carefully to remove big black marks since I knew I would be waxing anyways.

Once the boat was dry, I used a Dewalt power buffer with wool pads, 3M Perfect-It compound. I was able to go with the light cutting formula (old boat required medium), but the results are incredible. The hull still gleams 6 months later. That being said, the off white will never be quite as shiny and bright as a pure white hull, but I believe that's actually for the best as it cuts down on glare. The power buffer is a must; I was a bit worried about it the first time I used it, but just take your time and use light pressure and the right RPMs, and it's not that bad. Once the wax heats, it is easier. And watch the cord carefully!

For the gunwales and pilot house, I waxed/buffed by hand...real pain in the butt, but worth it. I sprayed all of the non-skid with Starbrite non-skid wax. My regular wash is with Starbrite blueberry boat soap and the PTFE deck cleaner (a MUST). We have a lot of gory battles with sea creatures on the boat that make a big bloody mess; that initial waxing is key, it makes regular clean-up much faster. If you want to get really fancy, you can use Cape Cod cloths to polish the brightwork.

Good luck!

Back