2003 Yamaha F225

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfbushjr

Reaction score
Just curious, about how many hours do you think I can put on this engine before it would be time to re-power it. Its got 800 right now, was used in saltwater for 2 seasons then freshwater ever since? I suppose it comes down to when it starts losing compression. Just looking for a rough estimate so I can start saving up.

No it hasn't been inspected for that but I am aware of the issue. I usually troll for a couple of hours then shut the engine off to stow gear before I make the run back to port. When I restart I do notice something that looks like oil on the water's surface, I think that is a sign of the corrosion issue so I think I have the problem. My plan was to inspect for it during the next off season when its time for another water impeller kit.

You lost me with "damage to the powerhead". What can happen to the powerhead? Do you mean damage caused by running the engine with a low oil level in the crankcase? I'm not really sure what problem with corrosion causes.

I was lucky and only mid section and oil pan was bad , and needed a Speedy sleeve in the oil,pan.

Pull both thermostats, replace and check housing for corrosion.

I also checked all anodes including ones in the head and only the trim one was replaced

Buy the Yamaha manual either hard copy or digital

Search CP - “corrosion”

Google
yamaha f225 exhaust corrosion power head

Many articles with pics

Still burns my biscuits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnfbushjr":23y02pe3 said:
Just curious, about how many hours do you think I can put on this engine before it would be time to re-power it. Its got 800 right now, was used in saltwater for 2 seasons then freshwater ever since? I suppose it comes down to when it starts losing compression. Just looking for a rough estimate so I can start saving up.

I got 1862 hours out of my 2005 Yamaha F225. I ran the engine pretty hard most of it’s life, stayed current on oil changes and such. Midsection was replaced at 700 hours. I think corrosion ultimately killed it with water intrusion into the oil resulting in a dropped valve....

Back