2004 Yamaha 225 4s won’t throttle past 4K

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5514matt

Reaction score
2004 Yamaha 225 4s. Won’t throttle past 4 k. Changed all filters from external water separator to injector filters. Changed VST and pickup pumps. Idle is fine and throttle is good up to about 3800. Tank has been run near dry and fresh fuel. Been happening for several months intermittently. Boat sat unused for approximately 1 year. Been on the water for about 50 hours this past 3 months and problem won’t go away. Any suggestions?

Bulbs not replaced, it’s on the list to try. They are mostly vertical. Never considered the hull vent. Tried portable tank. However, that was before replacing most of the engine pumps an filters. Haven’t tried it since. No idea is a bad one at this point. Thanks.

2004 Yamaha 225 4s. Won’t throttle past 4 k. Changed all filters from external water separator to injector filters. Changed VST and pickup pumps. Idle is fine and throttle is good up to about 3800. Tank has been run near dry and fresh fuel. Been happening for several months intermittently. Boat sat unused for approximately 1 year. Been on the water for about 50 hours this past 3 months and problem won’t go away. Any suggestions?
There were many published issues with the '04 225 4s Yamaha. My two were no exception. After years of frustration and spending thousands of dollars to fix problems, including what you are encountering, I gave up the ghost and purchased a new Yamaha 250 4s. My suggestion would be is to bite the bullet and get the engines into a reputable Yamaha service center and have them take a very close look at them. Even then, after hooking them up to their computers to isolate the probllem and paying for a fix, the engines could raise their ugly heads at any time. I'm a licensed Captain and couldn't afford to an operate engine I couldn't depend on. Your engines may not be included in the batch of problem 2004's. However, I'm smelling a similar rat based on issues you're having that mirrored mine. Get it to a certified Yamaha Mechanic and best of luck from there.

I had a 2002 Yamaha 250 2 stroke on my 2520 that was doing the same thing. In my case it was the plastic screen/filter on the pump inside the vapor separator tank. Put a new one on and problem solved. I held the old one up to the sun and compared it to the new one and there was a big difference between the two.
By the way, don’t try to reuse the gasket on the VST tank cover, it expands once removed and won’t go back in the groove. Could cause an improper seal.

Check the fuel line to be sure it’s not partially pinched or the fuel line isn’t collapsing inside due to ethanol fuel. I have had this problem before with pinched fuel line. Would run good then start starving for fuel. The line was kinked in the bilge area. Also check Your thru hull gas vent. If the screen is clogged with salt deposits , it won’t vent properly and create too much pressure inside tank for fuel pump to over come at higher demands

plugs all replaced
But did you look at the plugs when you pulled them out? Were any of the plugs bright grayish white, dark black or even wet? It sounds like you may have an ignition coil that is going or went bad and you're running a cylinder down. You may not notice it at lower power settings because all of the mass is still spinning. When you try to get to 225 hp you're only getting 169 hp which will only spin the prop 4000-4500 RPM.

My 200 had fine aluminum corrosion in the tank. It appears as a white powder in the fuel filter and VST tank. In addition to clogging the filters and the screen in the VST it clogged two fuel injectors. It ran fine for a while after we replaced everything, but then the trouble started again. In the end I changed the fuel tank.

Latest posts

Back