2006 Yamaha 150 twins, Water drippped on the tilt switches

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara11

Reaction score
Last week it rained hard, and water dripped on these two switches, I have never used these switches ever, when I turned on my batteries to do something, my port motor started going up and the tilt motor would not stop unless I turned off the battery's, so I took off the black cover, followed the wires and the have slip connections clearly marked , so I unplugged the port and starboard motors, turned on the battery's and all the trim switches and the switches on the motors work fine, only the two switches that are circled are dead, I also taped it so they can not bump anything, anyone know if I can just leave it like this till my next service, like I said, we never use those switches, I only use the trim switch and when I raise the motors I use the switch on the motors.

Attachments

• Yamaha Control 003.jpg
    Yamaha Control 003.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 244
Weird, those switches should be waterproof, I use mine all the time to trim the boat although they are the older model.

Do they look corroded?? I wonder if the shorted from lack of use. :D

You really don't need them I guess if you don't need to trim independently, you could always trim by the motor in an emergency.

If you take apart the control box, they are completely sealed, the water dripped every minute or three right on the crack on the side of one of the two switches, it took me about 5 minutes to locate the drip, it was that intermittent, everything else works perfect, I was just outside checking again, the boat mechanic is closed to after the holidays and we are hoping to head out on the ocean for 5 days on the 26th, so I am not sure what to do, the harnesses are clearly marked and easy to unplug and individally marked, that is why it was so easy to bypass, but have I messed asnything else up in the unplug, it does not seem like it ! But I am not sure, there should be and app for this :)

Mine has done that few times as well with the moisture. Rather annoying. I just push the buttons a few times and it stops. The switches are supposed to be sealed and waterproof but for some reason still do it. Leaving them unplugged doesnt do anything you can leave it like that forever if you wanted to. Just have to decide if youd ever use them. Worse case if you ever needed one of the engines up and not the other you can use the switch on the side of the motor.

I spoke to Parker, they sure are helpful, the engineer told me to dry with a hair dryer and should be fine, I did and it seems to be working perfect ! I am amazed at how helpful they are, or how easy it is to get answers for my sometimes dumb questions !

Mine did it today again. I had a guy pull up to me at the stoplight and say uhh your motors are moving up and down...is that a parker? sweet.

Do you not trailor with your locking mechanisms in place? I thought we were supposed to?

Not trying to be arrogant, just wondering...want to make sure I havent been doing it wrong the entire time...haha

No i dont trailer with the motors all the way up with the locking mechanism. I have asked several different dealers and mechanics and what they said is to just lower the motors until they hit those two silver metal pipes that stick out of where the motor attaches to the bracket that slow down the tilt. My boat is high enough on the trailer that the lower units are no where near the ground. If they needed to be trimmed higher where they couldnt rest on that i would get a piece of wood or if i needed it to be all the way up use the locking mechanism that you are talking about.

I use these things called the wedge, I think it is called that got them a few years ago, the fit over the ram on each motor and make kind of a spongy set up, I was also told not to use the motor lock !

BradV":1gybfri0 said:
No i dont trailer with the motors all the way up with the locking mechanism. I have asked several different dealers and mechanics and what they said is to just lower the motors until they hit those two silver metal pipes that stick out of where the motor attaches to the bracket that slow down the tilt. My boat is high enough on the trailer that the lower units are no where near the ground. If they needed to be trimmed higher where they couldnt rest on that i would get a piece of wood or if i needed it to be all the way up use the locking mechanism that you are talking about.

Yeah thats how I was told to trailor long distances

Ya the motor lock is mainly used for servicing the engines and a block should be placed under them when trailering.

Back