2015 Spring Commissioning Project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Well, spring has finally begun to emerge here on the Chesapeake (almost a month late) which allowed me to finally get to work on the Megabyte.

If you followed last springs project post, you may remember that I spent about 70 hours with the Makita high-speed buffer and massaged every square inch of this boat from the top of the cabin, down to the waterline.
Because I had no date that I needed the boat to be ready to splash (and because I am retired), I took the opportunity to make it perfect before splashing her last year, which made the work this year a bit easier.

Unfortunately, 70 hours working a 6.5# buffer on the hull and topsides took its toll on my rotator cuffs last year, and I have been experiencing shoulder(s) pain(s) ever since.
I waited almost a year to mention the pain to my Rheumatologist and recently discovered that rotator damage due to 'poking the RA bear' is not uncommon. :roll:
A new treatment plan has been implemented. We'll see how that works...

So... This year I elected to hire a local company (owned by a neighbor) to do the initial 'heavy lifting' for me.
Williams Yacht Management of Annapolis came in and (on my instructions) did a complete compound and wax of the entire boat from the cabin top to the waterline.
My instructions were to cover every square inch... and they did a very good job that most owners would be happy with.

But... those who know me, know that 'very good' is not my style. My standards are a little higher than that. :)
In the first photo below of the starboard side, you can see my starting point. Pretty darn good, but I can do better.

I began with the port side hull massaging on, and buffing off, a coat of Collinite Fleetwax paste wax.
It was applied as directed, then buffed to a mirror shine.

Notice the reflections in the 19 year-old gelcoat in photo #2. 8)
Progress was carefully measured over the past week as I was trying not to stress the rotators too much.
I took breaks, and went on to other projects during my break periods, none of which are photo worthy. :)

Yesterday I finished the hull by doing the transom, motor bracket, and the outboard (photo #3) in the first coat of Fleetwax.
Once this rain leaves us, I'll be starting on the topsides. If a photo-op presents itself, I'll be adding to this thread as I go along.

Bottom paint of Petit Hydrocoat will probably be the next major project, the rest will (hopefully) be relatively minor.

Attachments

• 01 stbd.JPG
    01 stbd.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 471
  • 02 port side shine.JPG
    02 port side shine.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 472
  • 03 motor.JPG
    03 motor.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 471
Interesting. The photo I uploaded of the motor shows it as vertical and if you click on that photo, it opens properly.
Strange.

shawnee83":1r3ld0qp said:
She sure looks good Kevin! I hope to get mine close to that someday.

Thanks, but she didn't get that way overnight. :wink:

When I bought the boat in 2004, the gelcoat was about a shiny and smooth as a sheet of printer paper. Dull, rough, and no shine.
You could tell that in her 8 previous years, this boat had never been waxed.

I've been getting her incrementally better every year, but last year was 'the big push' that got her to her present state.
Talked to a guy in the boat yard who was working on his 03 Grady Sailfish, and he thought my boat was new. :)

That's what I like to hear. It makes all that work worthwhile. :wink:

TWOBOATER":26g67vmf said:
What the heck does "poking the RA bear" mean?!

When you have rheumatoid arthritis and you place undue stress on your joints like you did when you were a 30 year-old, that is 'poking the bear'.
RA will let you know in a hurry that you 'shouldn't have done that' and will reward you with a lot of pain and inflammation.

Most of the pilothouse was completed yesterday.
I took some 'mirror shine' photos, but I liked this one better. :)

Attachments

• 04 hat.JPG
    04 hat.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 382
Megabyte can you share that previous post? Looking at trying to do the same to our 2520 xl. Huge fan of the Collinite product, but it's time to get compounded and waxed

Hmmmmmmm..... For some reason, the search feature won't allow me to enter any text .
I'll do a manual search later to look for it.

If the search feature is working for you, search the Projects forum for my 2014 spring commissioning post.
All of the details are there.

I'll also post a few 'shine' photos from the past two days. Raining today, so I can catch up on this thread later today.

Some photos from the last two days.

The pilothouse was waxed with Mothers "California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax", and then giving a top coat of Colonite Fleetwax.
Even though this was a partly cloudy day when these photos were taken (notice the high thin clouds in the photos), you can clearly see the mirror reflections off the fiberglass.

One tip:

Before applying the Fleetwax, the finish must be absolutely clean and devoid of any haze, oxidation, dirt, or contaminants.
Colonite Fleetwax is a pure carnauba wax and it has absolutely no cleaners in it whatsoever.
If the finish is not absolutely perfect, all you will be doing is covering up and sealing in the imperfections.

During a break to rest my shoulders, I replaced the fuel/water separator and drained and refilled the gearcase on the motor.
Exciting stuff. :)

Finally, a neighbor who was getting ready to splash his boat...
Here fishy fishy... :D

Attachments

• 05 port side cabin.jpg
    05 port side cabin.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 353
  • 06 front of trunk cabin.jpg
    06 front of trunk cabin.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 353
  • 07 stbd side cabin.jpg
    07 stbd side cabin.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 353
  • 08 gearcase lube.jpg
    08 gearcase lube.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 353
  • 09 here fishy.jpg
    09 here fishy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 353
I use a combo of Orpine boat soap and Zep 'heavy duty orange citrus' (from home depot).
If the cockpit floor is funky, I'll even toss in some Clorox bleach.
That combo has never hurt the wax yet. Just don't use Simple Green. It can remove the wax.

While I have been patiently waiting for the yard to get to my bottom paint, I have busied myself with waxing everything on the boat (and I mean everything!).
Last evening I sent the manager an email asking where I was in the bottom painting queue, as I'm there everyday and I've seen little to no work being done in the yard.

Surprisingly enough, I got a snarky reply from the co-owner. saying they had "11 people working 6 days a week"... they are swamped... weather has been bad... bla, bla, bla...
Uh... I know about the weather. I've been working on my boat for weeks.
I don't want to hear excuses, all I need to know is when you intend to get to me.
I'm a patient person, but even I have my limits. :roll:

I show up at the boat today about noon and the bottom is done. Imagine that.
Of course, the boat is also covered in bottom paint dust because the crappy sander/vacuum they have spews the dust everywhere. :evil:

Now I need to wait until the 2 boats in front of me are moved before I can splash. <sigh>

Attachments

• 10 paint.jpg
    10 paint.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 275
  • 11 bottom done.jpg
    11 bottom done.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 274
  • 12 in line.jpg
    12 in line.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 274
Back