2016 21DVCC engine opinions please

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wdhigh

Reaction score
Local dealer and Parker are pushing the Yamaha i4 f200 on the 2100 dv.

I'm not fan of this motor. Mostly due to the 89 octane requirement. Around here on the street only 87 ethanol free is available. If I ran 89 it would be e10. Would rather not run e10. Other issue is I just feel this boat wants more power.

We are considering an f225 since 225 is max hp. Most likely the 4.2l with mech shift. Dealer says they have not rigged one and Robin Parker told me on the phone not to do it. She states the 2100 is "tender" with the extra weight. The extra weight and the notched transom are my biggest fears. I don't want wet feet or to add more risk of being swamped.

So, any comments on the I4 f200? Sure it's plenty for the SE, but I don't know about the dv. F225 be a big deal on this boat?

Their Facebook page had a wildlife 2100 with f300. Seemed to float it very well in the pic.

I ran a 200 HPDI for years on that boat and it was a great match. New owner repowered with the i4 f200 and loved it. I would listen to Robin or look at Suzuki. The wildlife boats are built up to handle the larger outboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Any ideas on what is changed on the wildlife hull? Taller transom maybe??

They said nothing, except for govt ignoring standard ratings. I don't want a 300, just think I would be happier with more than the little 200 with special fuel requirements on a higher dead rise boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 313
octane boosters probably are not approved and uber expensive along with a PIA.
. just thinking outside the box.

If you use the boat regularly then I would use E10 with Ring Free and Yamaha Fuel Conditioner but I dont use my boat often and use e zero

Maybe an call or email to Eric at Paker for his comments but really feel is a Yamaha question but dont know an engineer for you to contact.

Maybe Andy at SIM can help you. He is very knowledgeable

Anyone else got any good advice?

Really concerned with being able to do 40-43 with normal load.

Think the performance bulletin is little optimistic given most are impossible to duplicate.

I hesitate to even offer my opinion but I will but don't hold it against me if you go this route and it doesn't work out. I would get the 4.2L F225. The new generation 4.2's are about 60 lbs less than my 3.3L F225 which I have on my 2120. That said, my F225 is a heavy bastard. In my opinion, my boat is by no means over powered with the 225 though. After I saw my first 21 with the 300 here in Beaufort, I knew I would repower mine with it if I ever got to that point. It weighs the same as the 4.2 225 which are both less than mine, so why not. With the correct prop, you could get good efficiency at higher cruise speed. Load the boat up and no problems. I hate under powered boats. I don't pick engines on boats for fuel economy, consider it, but proper power trumps all else IMO. Here in Beaufort, I just run marina gas and it's all 89. I didn't notice that the new 4.2 225 only required 87 but the 300 requires 89 so that's interesting. One other item that may be worthy of consideration is that the 4.2's have 70 amp Altenators vs 50 amp on the F200's. You will have more torque with a 4.2 v6 also. HP is not the whole store. All this said, if you go with the 200 I think it will get the job done as they have made these boats with 150's on them and they got the job done. Although several folks on here with the 150's have indicated that they would go with more HP on a repower so that should tell you something. Also read your post again and I would go with the modern technology and just put the electronic shift on it. As a bonus, you will shave off a few lbs. I have the old design 2120 (transum same as 21DVCC) and have even removed my splash guard. It's been no problem for me. Good luck either way, I'm sure it will all work out.

i remember reading that at a certain point yamaha did update on the f200xb that fixed the octane issue. You are able to take the cowling off and a number or letter is stamped letting you know if it was done at the factory or not. Im going out today and ill take a pic of the location and number today. Mine was done. My local marina only has Non E 90 so I never have run anything else.

just found this. There is a recall. The issue is with the ECU and its ability to handle lower octane gas. There is a knock sensor that when 87 octane fuel is used and a knock is detected, the timing is changed to accommodate this and the power is derated to about 165hp. The recall replaces the ECU and the new one better handles lower octane fuel with less of a power loss.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-10-01 at 9.29.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-10-01 at 9.29.31 AM.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 239
Truthfully cost is a major issue on the fly by wire. I'm already skeptical paying the price of the boat/motor/trailer with the f200. Being quoted $6k for 4.2 fly by wire 225.

Have not received the cost of the 4.2 mech shift yet. Would have to be swapped at dealer, boat is on their lot. They are saying to just demo the f200 which I will do before signing any purchase papers.

My biggest concern is water on the deck and the notched transom. Otherwise I love the layout with the "v" seating and new console.

Unless you are in a big hurry, why not just order one built the way you want it from the factory. Unless unavoidable, it's always better to have the dealer do as little as possible to your brand new boat. If they want to sell one bad enough, they will negotiate on one the way you want it. I personally think you are worrying to much about water in the transum, JMO. I wouldn't let that make your engine decesion. The extra dollars are obviously understandable though. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

We like the boat on the lot, may just need an engine swap. They claim Parker only ships with 200's, 225's have to be swapped in house. Of course they want to sell what's on the lot vs. ordering one.

Thanks for your input. Do you get water on the deck at all?

Sometimes if I'm backing down hard I'll get some in around the small well at the scuppers but not past the rear edge of the bilge hatch. It's just been a non issue. I don't exactly boat in the calmest waters either. As I mentioned earlier, that's with the splash guard removed also. I guess if you were drift fishing offshore and you let your stern get into the swell and a big wave got you just right, you could get in a bad situation? It's never happened to me though. I don't can't believe that Parker only ships that boat with 200's. Perhaps call another dealer? If I was going to be spending the amount of money that you are about to on a new boat, I would get it with what I wanted down to a pin stripe. That's just me as I'm anal like that. To that point, I drove from NC to Lowell, MA to get my used 2120 because it had the options that I wanted. The most important option being the F225 which not many used ones have because most people let the deals talk them into the smaller motor. The 200 will work but you asked for opinions so there it is. Good luck with your purchase, it will all work out for you and I'm sure you will be happy either way.

Back