2021 2302 Ride Quality

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miker1234

Reaction score
Hey All!

I keep hearing about Parker's having poor ride quality. Is it really that bad compared to other boats in the same class or a 23ft Striper (or similar)? The factory has the option of purchasing a Seaspension pedestal. Will this help with smoothening the ride IF it's truly rough? I'm considering purchasing a newer 2320 in the near future and any honest feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ride quality is highly subjective and depends upon your past experiences on other boats, your individual tolerance, and specific weather conditions.

Overall, the 23 DV hull from Parker has a very good to excellent ride quality in seas 2ft or less. A 2ft sea typically corresponds to winds 10-14mph over an open sea. There are few 23ft boats that have a better ride quality than the Parker. It's pretty dry and remarkably comfortable as long as you don't expect too much from the hull. If the wind is blowing 12 mph and the seas are 1.5ft or larger, don't expect to be comfortable at 28-32 mph in this hull. You'll most certainly need to slow down to a more reasonable 18-22 mph in order to stay dry and comfortable.

How does a 23 DV Parker compare to the 25 or 28 DV Parker? You'll be surprised that the 23 seems to run better than either the 25 or 28. The 23 is a narrower hull and runs smoother in larger seas.

How does the 23 DV Parker compare to a 26 Regulator, 27 Contender or 26/28 Southport? Well ..... that's where Parker looses the battle with a clear distinction. The Parker simply doesn't have the engineered bottom or weight of these larger vessels. But then again, you can fish all day on a 23 Parker for $100. You'll need almost 1.5-1.75x that same cash to fish one of the larger boats with twin engines.

Because of where the helm is positioned you will feel the impact more than you would on similar hulls on cuddy cabs or CC boats. You learn to pilot according to conditions and knowing the boat. My 2320 is a tank and handles great. I came from a 20’ NR so it’s a Cadillac compared to that

But in all honestly. My 2320 is probably one of the most solid boats I’ve ridden on. Linwood Parker’s way of building boats is proven seaworthy vessel and it is over the top strong.

I use mine offshore in the northwest and it’s never made me feel nervous. It tracks straight and in big following seas never bow steers.

It will take anything your willing to throw at it.

Assuming your title should have read "Parker 2320", I would not let the comfort of the boat underway dissuade you from purchasing this hull. I have a 2320, and she rides like a dream. As noted above, you can't run 36mph in a 3 foot sea at 7 seconds, but when the seas kick up on the way home, just slow down, tab down and point her towards the inlet. She'll get you home every time.
Not the best riding boat I've owned, but certainly my favorite boat I have ever owned. She is the Swiss Army knife of the boating world: she does everything.

No matter what you do, trim tabs, seaspension, etc. a parker pilot house will have a terrible ride compared to many other boats. There is nothing better than the keel on a Downeast boat to cut through chop, make for soft landings and provide stability while drifting. If you like the configuration of a pilothouse (don’t require a center console’s 360 degree fishability) I would seriously look at smaller Downeast boats over a parker pilothouse, your back will thank you.

You ride all the way forward in a SC. You will take a punishing, if running fast in a chop. Seaspension is a must. Nothing compares to the cockpit, if you like big cockpits. They cockpit helm, allows you to run faster in a chop, dither back you are the better the ride. Everyone loves my boat, who sits in the back.

Out of the box a new Parker 23 with a 21 degree deadrise rides on par with most boats in its class. IMO it is definitely the most seaworthy hull in its class.

That said, you add an experienced captain who knows how to "optimize" weight/balance and maximize hull planing surface area at the stern.......the ride can be well above average.

Last edited:
Roccus,

I’m curious what Downeast boat manufacturers and models would have the positive attributes of the 2320 but provide a much better ride. I would love to research them! Thank you,

Kurt

Roccus,

I’m curious what Downeast boat manufacturers and models would have the positive attributes of the 2320 but provide a much better ride. I would love to research them! Thank you,

Kurt

Like any boat there are tradeoffs, and generally a downeast will be slower than a 2320, but not always by much, and will be faster in most kinds of chop or any weather you encounter. My boat is trailerable, though wide at 10'6" but cruises at 23-25kt burning 6gph, my 2120 cruised about the same speed burning quite a bit more fuel (not that gas vs diesel is a fair comparison).

The three that come to mind, kind of in order of what I think someone looking at a 2320 would be interested in, would be a 22' or 26' General Marine, 25' Northern Bay, 26' Webbers Cove (I have one of these on a trailer with a 315hp Yanmar) and a 25' BHM or 23' Crowley Beal (outboard powered).

Thank you Roccus! I will check them out. As to the speed thing, very very seldom can you ever utilize our 300hp and cruise at 40-50 mph in the ocean. 30 mph cruise is fast for a boat our size in anything other than somewhat calm seas. I'm usually plodding along at 22-24 mph.

Last edited:
Hey All!

I keep hearing about Parker's having poor ride quality. Is it really that bad compared to other boats in the same class or a 23ft Striper (or similar)? The factory has the option of purchasing a Seaspension pedestal. Will this help with smoothening the ride IF it's truly rough? I'm considering purchasing a newer 2320 in the near future and any honest feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
They best way to answer these questions is to go out in different boats on a charter or friends (OPB’s) “Other Peoples Boats”. A new boat dealer is not going to sea trial a boat in any rough seas. They will let you buzz around in the flat areas to get you excited to buy. Look for fishing charter boats that you want to try. If you buy any boat without a descent sea trial or have experience on one you’re likely to be disappointed. The seaspension chair is nice to have to reduce your general body fatigue.

What Roccus said in many respects is true but other things to consider in regards to the hull and performance. Some of the smaller Downeast hulls don’t really have a keel. The 22 general marine drafts 12”—no real keel so no keel advantage. The 26 drafts 30”—yes keel. If you want to fish shoal areas the keel can become an issue. Also it depends on the seas you expect to be in most. I fish up to 60 miles offshore but also in the bay. The Parker is great for flying around the bay at 35-40 mph but definitely not as comfortable running offshore in a sea compared to a Downeast hull at comparable speed. The Parker ride is most uncomfortable going into it and in a sea where you’re coming on and of plane. The ride is nice side to and with it. So you’re not pounding all the time. The Downeast without an outboard let’s you fish off the stern. At the same time you also usually loose space to an engine box. Maybe gain space in width. Like just about everything there’s pros and cons to consider. I’m in the process of going from a 28 Parker to a 38 northern bay because the bulk of my fishing has been moving offshore. That being said I’m definitely going to miss the Parker for my inshore fishing, wouldn’t diminish its offshore ability and have appreciated it’s versatility. And I probably only hit on a few of many considerations —gas vs diesel—economy, fuel price, maintenance, longevity of the engine.

Out of the box a new Parker 23 with a 21 degree deadrise rides on par with most boats in its class. IMO it is definitely the most seaworthy hull in its class.

That said, you add an experienced captain who knows how to "optimize" weight/balance and maximize hull planing surface area at the stern.......the ride can be well above average.
I have a 23DVCC my friend had a 25 foot 17 degree dead rise walkaround. I liked his boat, especially for the aft room, but my Parker handled the chop much better.

What Roccus said in many respects is true but other things to consider in regards to the hull and performance. Some of the smaller Downeast hulls don’t really have a keel. The 22 general marine drafts 12”—no real keel so no keel advantage. The 26 drafts 30”—yes keel. If you want to fish shoal areas the keel can become an issue. Also it depends on the seas you expect to be in most. I fish up to 60 miles offshore but also in the bay. The Parker is great for flying around the bay at 35-40 mph but definitely not as comfortable running offshore in a sea compared to a Downeast hull at comparable speed. The Parker ride is most uncomfortable going into it and in a sea where you’re coming on and of plane. The ride is nice side to and with it. So you’re not pounding all the time. The Downeast without an outboard let’s you fish off the stern. At the same time you also usually loose space to an engine box. Maybe gain space in width. Like just about everything there’s pros and cons to consider. I’m in the process of going from a 28 Parker to a 38 northern bay because the bulk of my fishing has been moving offshore. That being said I’m definitely going to miss the Parker for my inshore fishing, wouldn’t diminish its offshore ability and have appreciated it’s versatility. And I probably only hit on a few of many considerations —gas vs diesel—economy, fuel price, maintenance, longevity of the engine.

Wow nice! A 38 northern bay is about the holy grail for Downeast boats that make for nice sport fishers and aren’t just for hauling gear. And very true what you said about the trade offs and the lack of keel on smaller outboard “downeast” (if you can call them that without a keel) boats.

Like any boat there are tradeoffs, and generally a downeast will be slower than a 2320, but not always by much, and will be faster in most kinds of chop or any weather you encounter. My boat is trailerable, though wide at 10'6" but cruises at 23-25kt burning 6gph, my 2120 cruised about the same speed burning quite a bit more fuel (not that gas vs diesel is a fair comparison).

The three that come to mind, kind of in order of what I think someone looking at a 2320 would be interested in, would be a 22' or 26' General Marine, 25' Northern Bay, 26' Webbers Cove (I have one of these on a trailer with a 315hp Yanmar) and a 25' BHM or 23' Crowley Beal (outboard powered).

WOW! 4mpg is very impressive for a boat with a 10'6" beam.

Hey All!

You got a lot great responses!
Riding in the rear, sitting at the stern bench, or bean bags, the ride is GREAT, for this size boat. I'm not sure you will find anything much better than a 2320 Parker as far as sea worthiness.
BUT
Riding inside the PH - you have to contend with two issues, both diminishing comfort.
For one, you are sitting in the bow. Try that in the best of CCs - sitting in front, even just the front of the CC seat, the ride "quality" is very different than in the back.
The other thing with Parkers, and this one is a bit of an idiosyncrasy of lack of better word, is the presence of the front bilge under the floor of the PH. With the outer hull being solid fiberglass, not cored, and the empty space below the cabin can get really loud when riding hard in chop - it can be discomforting, at first. I personally believe that is where the "Parkers pound" notion comes from - the unsettling sound coming from the empty boom-box that seems to reverberate under your feet. Frankly, it becomes "white noise" after first 15 minutes. But it is a design feature that, to me, is a bit puzzling.

I tended to look beyond that, obviously, hence we purchased a 2021 2320, and never looked back. It is a GREAT boat, really hard to beat in the trailerable size class, offshore-capable category, if you will.

--

Back