21 foot Parker SE Trailer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayscallop

Reaction score
I just got a 21' Parker SE. I need to get a trailer. Any recommendations?

brand? galvanized vs. aluminum? any info is appreciated.

Thanks, George

Well...Let me give you a little education about trailers, as most people don't really have a clue.

First .. Up in the NE area where the tides run extremely High or Low, Roller trailers are preferred.

Toward the South....Bunk Trailers are preferred. I'm going to talk about Buck trailers, because that is all I have a good knowledge of.

You have a 21ft boat..... Your going to want a trailer designed for a 25ft boat.

Why? Because you want a FULL length trailer.

This is a full length trailer. Note that the actual frame of the trailer comes to the transom.

TrailerBunks002.jpg

1stTimewaterpixs008.jpg

That is a 23ft hull.

Now lets look at that boat on a trailer designed for a 21 -23ft hull.

SuzukisMounted005.jpg

Note how the bunks are way cantilevered past the end of the frame. This doesn't give you as solid of a trailer and limits your adjust ability to move the boat around to the Sweet Spot.

I also have the manufacture add 18in over the normal length of the tounge.

Why? This is what keeps the tow vehicle out of the water at different tides.

Axles - Torsion bar w/ Kodiak disc brakes. The spindles will be Posi-Lube. You do NOT want Buddy Bearings. There is a difference.

Frame material. - Alum is the leading material.

I have seen boxed galvanized frames. These are the strongest due to the frame rails being a box...... BUT there is a No- No about that.

How are you going to flush the inside of that frame rail? Answer: Your not and so they rust from the inside out.

Lights - My preference is....and have installed many of these. Optronix brand LED's. I've never had a failure for anyone that I have installed them for or my own.

But let me tell you....New boat trailer wiring SUCK's! and I usually rewire them BEFORE a boat goes on the trailer. There is one manufacture that I know of , that for additional money they will do it like I do it. I'll mention them later.

The 2 inherent problems with wiring are.....A] Using the trailer frame as a ground return path B] Using a electrical component called a Scotchlock.

71259.jpg

These allow water intrusion and thus corrosion into the wiring. Something YOU Do NOT want. Crimp/Shrink with a coat of liquid electric tape waterproofs the wiring. Just like you would do for bilge pump wiring.

Bunks - Specifically Forward Keel Bunks.

This is what you want. It helps guide the boat straight up to the center of the winch stand.

P1011283.jpg

This is what you do NOT want. It's a pain and I have seen many a Stem / keel get screwed up on this setup.

P1011282.jpg

P1011275.jpg

And then after that......It will take some practice and experimenting as to how deep and on what ramp that the trailer should be submerged to get the easiest load and unload.

The tendinsy is to have the trailer to deep. Then the ass end floats sideways and doesn't load properly.

Hi - Tech Marine is who I recommend. They are out of Panama City, Fl. Tell Brad the owner Bobby from Pensacola sent you. They build a nice piece and will work with you anyway they can. But it really makes a difference if you have a clue, Most people don't and a trailer is a after thought.

A Good trailer and set up right makes for a MUCH more enjoyable day. One that is not, makes it a PITA all the time.

http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/contact.html

Thanks guys, Warthog5 very informative, the more i know, the better the choice i can make. Any additional experiences are certainly welcome. Thanks again, George

I have 2 - EZ Loaders.....Stay away from them.

They don't even galvanize the torsion arms. That's Dumb as Hell going on a boat trailer.

100_5532_zpscd4843e4.jpg

Neither one had Posi-Lube Spindles.

The little trailer does now. I changed the whole axle.

Before

100_1649.jpg

After

100_1687.jpg

Stay away from Float - On also. They build a narrow trailer. It's a short trailer and they mount I beams on top of the frame and Cantilever them back.

They also like to use this stupid idea.

trailer2.jpeg

It sounds good on paper. There is a latch on that bar. You cock the latch. When the Bow Eye hits it it latches. Well on paper anyway.

What happens is you hit it slightly wrong and it trips it....Now you have a boat floating all over the place at the ramp.

23SE w 2013 Load Rite Elie Aluminum 6000# trailer. Trailer is 26 feet long, but rollers at stern are cantilevered several feet. Actually had issue w trailer being slightly too big, had to modify the stern roller brackets to shorten them and avoid rollers interfering w trim tabs. Upgraded to stainless disk brakes, brake lines, and stainless hardware. 2002 boat came w load rite galvanized bunk trailer that gave my trouble on local shallow ramps. New trailer works great, but now I have power winch maintenance to deal with. I would recommend bunk style if you have decent ramps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 747
Loadrite uses steel crossmembers, they rust up in no time.

Look for an aluminum trailer with aluminum cross members, all SS hardware and u bolts.

I went with the 6000 lb Load Rite bunk. Can't wait to use it up here in the Northeast.

Warthog, excellent reply. I am in process of upgrading my hardware (aluminum trailer came w/ galvanized hardware?) and adding forward bunks. Question: do I install/ set angle and elevation them while the boat is on the trailer?

I have a 2013 21 ft SE it has a Loadrite Trailer Mod # 5SAC21T5 it has bunks easy to launch and recover...and I'm here in CT...just my 2 centavos :?

Latest posts

Back