2120 AC/Heat Project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally posted this project along with others in the spring. I thought that I would break it out separately for easy reference when doing a search on this topic. This is my final update as I have now had a chance to evaluate it.
The short of it is that I'm not happy with the performance of these portable units. I originally purchased the unit in a 9000 btu configuration . After using it for several months, I didn't feel that it cooled very well so I returned it hoping it was a defective unit. They made the same basic unit in a 10,000 btu version for just a little more money so I ordered that one since I figured it was worth a try. Unfortunately, this unit didn't work any better. While a Lowes today I got the employee to plug in a display model (8000 btu)of another brand that was AC only to see if it was just the manufacture that I had. It didn't cool very well either. The employee was interested in this little experiment so he and I took a 5000 btu window unit store display and plugged that in. Sure enough, it cooled much better and you could really tell the difference. I've also since checked on Consumer Reports reviews on these portable units and they had nothing good to say about them. It's a shame as I felt that the portable fit the boat well and the instal was not too distructive to the areas involved and it could be reversed if needed. In general, the unit cools to about 10 to maybe 13 degrees lower, if your lucky, than the outside temperature. That's with the unit running full time without the compressor cycling off at all. I'm going to live with it for probably several years at this point. My recommendation to others would be to just install a marine system. That is now my plan. I will make it part of a multi part project of adding 30A shore power and a battery charger. I hope this helps others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 454
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 454
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 453
Shawnee83,

Awesome, review it will save some a lot of money. I'm sure a few guys out there are happy with the portable A/C system.

This is what I did, after asking, reading and researching.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11222

There is another CP member that did a marine A/C as well, going to search for his link. If I find it I'll post it, other members have done different configuration and installs as we'll which may work for you in the future.

Be safe,Stay cool.

Thanks Capt Mike. I do hope it helps others considering this option. By way, I can't seem to follow that link. Would you mind coping it again?

Thanks!

Thanks Mike! I checked out your project and it was very well done. I'm going to keep the unit in basically the same area on my 2120. Depending on the clearances that I need.... I think I'm going to fabricate that whole storage area and the area behind my helm seat into something custom to mount all of it in. Thought about running the duct work basically the same way you did it also. One up and one towards the berth. I hope you don't mind but I would love to reach out for advise/tips/ideas when I finally get around to it. May be in the fall or not until the following fall/winter?? It's kinda all inter connected to me since the shelf/storage area fabrication, shore power and AC/heat unit all need to be incorporated in design and install. I also would like to mount a battery charger while I'm at it. Again, all connected with respect to how I mount that and the AC components in the bilge. I keep my boat on a trailer in storage in Beaufort near a ramp and many times when there I stay on my boat as I live over 4 hrs away. It needs to be a very multi functional machine. Thanks again for the info!

Back