2120 lists at rest

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect to what the engineer said about how you use your boat and everything else I will say that a list of several inches on a small boat is dangerous. I am a retired Navy guy and I can tell you that a noticable list in any boat or ship contributes to instability on the vessel and significantly increases your risk for rollover. That is why they spend so much time on cargo ships evening out the load. Trim tabs are there to correct list when the boat is loaded unevenly but the general idea is to have the port and starboard sides evenly loaded and the heaviest stuff centerline (e.g.) the gas tank. I would not go out on the water in any ship much less a small boat that lists several degrees to one side for no apparent reason. You definitely need to find the root cause before you go out on your boat again. It may be fine in calm water but if you get into some rough stuff you could have major problems. Sorry if I sound like an alarmist but it is better to be safe than to be sorry.

If you look on the first page of Parker's catalog, they show the box-grid stringer system that seems to compartmentize sections of the hull. Just thinking outside the box (inside the box), what if water were to leak through a fitting, crack, etc. into one of these compartments. Couldn't this collect quite a bit of weight from just one compartment? I would hope they provided some common drainage to keel and bilge, but from the illustration the compartments appear pretty sealed. If drainage holes were indeed provided, but they were aft of the compartment and the water collected forward, then it may not drain until under way. I'm sure Parker can elaborate on their construction methods in far more detail than what can be determined from that illustration. Just something to rule out.

I have an '04 2120. No noticable list when at rest in the slip, nobody on board. But then, I don't have the second station.

Not saying this is the problem, but one thing you might want to try is to just move the starboard battery over to the port side and see if the list improves or stays the same. Also, move any extra gear in the boat on that side closer to the centerline or off the boat completely. Sounds like time to just get down to basics, and figure out where to from there.

JS

My 2120 never list unless everone goes to 1 side
hope your not waterlog somewhere.Does the hull condensate
when on the trailer?

Just to keep up to date. And thanks again for the inputs, everybody. My letter went out to Parker a week ago today, so we'll see what they say. I'm thinking to add ballast to the port side to make it level, and I asked Parker if that would be a perfectly safe solution. (What do you think, sslocum?) Unless my calculation is bad, I've got about 4-5 degrees of list. Ir seems to be about level if I stand next to the port gunnels, so I'm thinking about 200 lbs. behind the bench seat ought to do it. Somebody said get a bunch of sinkers - might as well have something on board that you can use. I checked it out and that's about $1000 of sinkers, or $200 of lead ingots, or about $15 of Quickrete. I think I'll go with the Quickrete if I can get it in there...

The scum line list measurement was with it parked with the F200 (583 lbs.) turned to put it's mass off center to port. Unless my calculation is faulty, the motor would have to be 14" to starboard to take my 210 lb at the port gunnels to offset it. I'd see it if that were the case.

There isn't enough room in the port battery compartment for another battery, and I'd have to add like 250 lbs. of batteries at the offset of the jump seat from the center line to make her level.

I did mention to Parker about the idea of trapped water. Also I brought up the concept that perhaps the list is not due to a load distribution problem, but rather a displacement distribution problem (as in an asymmetrical hull).

Why would you not ask Parker (assuming a factory issue) for a fresh water system which is installed behind the bench seat? 13 gals of water, including a motor and related hardware is over a 100 lbs. Add useful weight, not dead weight.

Good luck with your letter to Parker. My guess would be that you are most likely safe once you get the boat to the point where it doesn't list as long as you make sure the weight won't shift once you are underway. I don't know how you feel about it but for me when I buy something new I expect that it will work correctly as designed and built. While your adding weight solution will probably work it shouldn't be necessary if you haven't made any modifications to the boat that caused a problem. I would push hard for them to find and fix the root cause of the problem rather than offering solutions that fix the symptoms. Maybe you should hire a good marine surveyor and see if they can figure out the cause. I certainly wouldn't go back to the dealer who told you all parkers list and I would pass on that information to Parker when you talk to them.

I second the reporting of the asinine comment from the Parker dealer!!! :?

I would also do anything possible not to live with the problem, such as adding weight! Something is wrong and Parker should be the people to answer that question. It might be easier then you think. I would send the letter, but a phone call would be immediate and meaningful.

I have a 2006 2120 with 150 Yamaha.

It also lists to the starboard when it sits in the slip? I cant figure out why either..... its not something I added for sure.

My 2520 has always listed to starboard.....but all of the rigging as well as the helm are on that side. If you drew a line down the center keel, I think you'll find most of the added equipment after the "bare hull" is on the starboard side, no? I try to keep most of my "accessory" equipment stored on the port side and it helps (though still leans abit starboard at rest).

TimC2520":5v4n989s said:
My 2520 has always listed to starboard.....but all of the rigging as well as the helm are on that side. If you drew a line down the center keel, I think you'll find most of the added equipment after the "bare hull" is on the starboard side, no? I try to keep most of my "accessory" equipment stored on the port side and it helps (though still leans abit starboard at rest).

Exactly the same for me, and I use Tims solution.
All of my accessory gear is located to port.

yep i list to starboard too.....hum lemmee see

second station
house battery
all related controls

ALL FACTORY no other add ons by me to cause a list......so imthinking as well as many others that ballast should be addressed at the MFG level...

No live well and no other items are on my starboard side ...

Well here are my thoughts. I have same boat dual station, 150 yammie 4 stroke. At rest about 1/2" to starboard even that I did not like. What I noticed is in the slip motor up and straight boat sits fine. Problem engine creeps it's way to starboard and thus the tilt. I put rubber blocks on steering ram on each side of motor alas no more list.

I also have never seen any water in the cabin drain area. My bilge is dry as a bone. I have re-sealed with life caulk all hatch areas also the 2 round over gas tank. My bilge stays dry. Only water is when I anchor alot no big deal.

If your boat lists 6" to starboard you have something wrong.

Good Luck Keep Us Posted

" BEAN "

I hand built a canoe that listed empty and had a couple of large listing boats too. And I've had a few that sat level. Others sure change when full of fuel and water and sewage and personal gear.

As this thread mentions, there are lots of reasons for the listing. As people and beer move around (huge trim changers), I simply use trim tabs to do my best to keep all level underway. Once stopped there is nothing I can do as guests move around except to use me as movable ballast. When I go out alone, I have to compensate for my 250 pound out of shape body being to starboard as I sit in my comfortable shock absorber seat. Should I ballast for me alone or just use trim?

A few years ago I bought over 100 pounds of five pound lead bars from EBay. I experimented by putting 20 bars in the anchor locker to see if it changed my time to get out of the hole. Then I use 10 bars. Not a significant difference and that helped me make the decision for larger trim tabs which are the cat's meow.

Then I put the weights under the port seat to check handling and finally at the stern both port and starboard. Bottom line is I found the Parker hull satisfactory for me in all the different loading conditions. When I get picky about any listing, I place a few bars to smooth my mind. Then I get less picky and take them out.

So a suggestion would be to try to quantify an issue if you have one. If it lists to starboard at the dock full of fuel, how much weight on the port side does it take to make it level both fore and aft and side to side and where did you locate the weight? Buckets of water are easy to use. Keep in mind that the entire waterline is what you might focus on rather than just a transom line. Can it be trimmed level underway with no ballast buckets? I seldom have my trim light indicators at the same level underway.

Just ramblin thoughts for what they might be worth............Pete

WOW! 6''.
I would think thats a lot!
I have an 08 2120 sc w/a F200 on the back.I dont have a listing problem at all,even after adding an 8hp kicker on it.
The only problem that I have is that the boat IS azzend heavy.
Now I also have a 36gal bait tank that sits right behind the cabin door....sits back just enough so the door can swing open. So I know thats gonna be a huge factor.I usually put my dive gear up front ,and that always evens out the load,but I made an Island run this Sat.after taking out all the dive gear ,and now the boat porpoises like crazy,so it looks like bigger trim tabs for me so I can get that nose down a bit.

I'm with what another poster put up in that when you buy something brand new it should work properly,and w/a 6'' list thats just not right.
Talk to Parker,and see whats up.
Lots of folks are gonna watch this one closely.
Good luck.
MJ.

I removed the galley (starboard side 150-200lbs) and keep most of the storage of heavy weight and cargo on the port side (7 scuba tanks, a big 160qt. cooler, tools, fishing and dive etc) and it sits level without passengers. If the boat is devoid of all port side gear and passengers the starboard list is noticable. I cut the rear deck out last year so I know the foam and wood there is not the problem. How could so many folks have the same lean? How come no reports of Port side Lean? What else could it be beside heavier layup or rigging on starboard? Beside the helm and electronics, the only other weight of significance is the wiring and hydraulic steering lines and steering cylinder. Maybe thats it? I bet if you added all that stuff up it would easily exceed 200 lbs.

GW":km8o6tb7 said:
What else could it be beside heavier layup or rigging on starboard?

On my boat, the port side has a big hole where the v-berth entry is.
That curtain covering the hole doesn't weigh much. :)

Image-0B03138559B911DC.jpg

Also, when I cut the helm to install my electronics, the layup was an easy 3/4" thick. It was so thick we had to make relief cuts for the chart plotter mounting bolts because they weren't long enough.

I'm not surprised that she is a little heavier to starboard.
Doesn't bother me though. It just means most water exits the starboard scupper. :wink:

Back