2120 owners please help re notched transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo sabe

Reaction score
Hi again - I spent a few hours recently going over a 2013, 2120. Due to concerns about a notched transom, I had previously ruled this boat out in my search. After a lot of time looking at this boat, I REALLY liked it. Nice visibility seated, no canvass, easy and safe to get to the bow for on and off my mooring, nice layout and because it seems to sit lower than some PH boats, at 5' 8", I can reach everything !
The hull looks like a very nice compromise for the fishing that I do and the size makes a lot of sense for me due to usual POB of 1-3 people fishing.
I have spent hours reading comments about the +/- of notched vs full transom on this great site and it seems that owners who have a 2120 find the boat to be safe in moderate sea conditions.
Generally most of my fishing is drifting 10-20 miles off the beach out of Gloucester for cod, haddock and occasional school tuna. I need a boat that can handle a 2-3 foot sea as I rarely want to fish in rougher conditions (been there done that).
It looks to me as though this boat should work well for me and also be able to get me home when it gets too sloppy to enjoy fishing.
It also looks as though the splash guard on the newer models may hinder water trying to drain from the deck but also help to keep water from reaching the deck from the splash well.

I will greatly appreciate hearing from 2120 owners about their experience and also from anyone who may know about any differences between older and late model 2120 boats.......if there are any differences re water on deck ?

Many thanks guys !
sarge

Hi there kemo sabe. The 2120 DVSC is a great choice, particularly if you like to trailer to different waters. The dealer that did my re-power was impressed enough to say he'd like to own one as he felt it was a well made, heavy boat. He commented on how well you can see over the bow from the helm.

My splash guard runs straight across the rear of the cockpit from the forward edges of the battery lockers and is removable. I've had water come into the cockpit over the roof of the pilothouse, but never thru the notch. My boat likes to turn beam to the wind so it rolls a bit in windy conditions if I let it.

Look closer at the 2320 if no notch is a must. I believe it is the same cabin layout and 2' longer cockpit with enclosed transom.

If I could sell my 2520 for a decent price ... I'd buy a 2120 in a heartbeat!!

They are indeed a pocket battleship!

Love mine 2003 200HPDI
Sometimes I wish I had the 2320 but hey we all would like more room I guess
But as far as getting there and getting back she is a great boat and light on gas
I fish stellwagon Bank and all over the south shore
Scuba dive mostly North shore 2-4 people
Never ever had a feeling of instability or not confident in her performance
I have had her in mostly ever condition in the last 11 years and she is a rock
I run GPS and Radar

Like Mokee said if you want a full transom and a little more room and don't mind the price difference and burning a drop more gas the 2320 is the same boat forward of the cockpit

Attachments

• Yeti Back.JPG
    Yeti Back.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 760
I am a new 2120SC owner. Took delivery in June. Love the boat. Thus far I have been only off shore in moderate weather when a sudden Florida thunder storm with 40 knot winds surprised me. As stated in an earlier post the boat is a little battleship.

Only problem with water drainage is after washing the boat, there is always a little puddle left on one side of the cockpit because water drains under the splash guard which is in the center of the boat not on the edges where scuppers would normally be

Mokee":24rxus67 said:
Hi there kemo sabe. The 2120 DVSC is a great choice, particularly if you like to trailer to different waters. The dealer that did my re-power was impressed enough to say he'd like to own one as he felt it was a well made, heavy boat. He commented on how well you can see over the bow from the helm.

My splash guard runs straight across the rear of the cockpit from the forward edges of the battery lockers and is removable. I've had water come into the cockpit over the roof of the pilothouse, but never thru the notch. My boat likes to turn beam to the wind so it rolls a bit in windy conditions if I let it.

Look closer at the 2320 if no notch is a must. I believe it is the same cabin layout and 2' longer cockpit with enclosed transom.

Hi Mokee - thanks for your info and experience. I am just trying to insure that, in moderate seas, the notched transom is not a safety issue. Every boat I have owned (seacraft, hydrasport, aquasport, privateer) have had a notch and well, except for a fortier that I ran for 6 seasons.

Many thanks for your info.
sarge

markman03":1fybfxyl said:
Good morning, I have a 2110 which is a 2120 hull without the enclosed cabin. I don't have any issues with water on the deck.

Thanks for your help - appreciated.
sarge

DaleH":29belbi3 said:
If I could sell my 2520 for a decent price ... I'd buy a 2120 in a heartbeat!!

They are indeed a pocket battleship!

That's what I found myself thinking. Plan to do a sea trial later this week and hope to be able to see how it drifts in moderate seas.

The hull looks like it has plenty of buoyancy and I expect it will lift as seas run under etc.

Dale with all of your knowledge and experience...........very helpful, much appreciated.

sarge

Sully":9vy8g41o said:
Love mine 2003 200HPDI
Sometimes I wish I had the 2320 but hey we all would like more room I guess
But as far as getting there and getting back she is a great boat and light on gas
I fish stellwagon Bank and all over the south shore
Scuba dive mostly North shore 2-4 people
Never ever had a feeling of instability or not confident in her performance
I have had her in mostly ever condition in the last 11 years and she is a rock
I run GPS and Radar

Like Mokee said if you want a full transom and a little more room and don't mind the price difference and burning a drop more gas the 2320 is the same boat forward of the cockpit

Sully - that says a lot and is very helpful - thanks !
sarge

John Burns":3pjlhxuy said:
I am a new 2120SC owner. Took delivery in June. Love the boat. Thus far I have been only off shore in moderate weather when a sudden Florida thunder storm with 40 knot winds surprised me. As stated in an earlier post the boat is a little battleship.

Only problem with water drainage is after washing the boat, there is always a little puddle left on one side of the cockpit because water drains under the splash guard which is in the center of the boat not on the edges where scuppers would normally be

Hi John - I noticed that spot where water might collect at rest, but assume, if underway the deck should drain pretty well. I guess the battery box location rules out standard scuppers. I liked the way the batteries were up out of the bilge.

thanks for your help !
sarge

I have had my 2008 2120 since new, one of the first things I did was remove the splash well, gives me 2' more fishing room. Only time I have ever taken water over the transom was when drift fishing and another jerk goes by on plane and throws a large wake at the stern when we are standing back there. (Long Island's south shore happens on occasion) Water has never made it to the cabin door, that is not at all a concern at all.

All your other outboard boats have been a notched transom, why are you making this harder on your self? If your a drift fisherman you can imagine what a pain working around a bracked outboard will be. Go for the sea trial, like it by it, I would not trade mine for anything in this size range.

I had a 2520 before I bought my 2120. The 2520 was a MV and it drifted much straighter and with less rolling than my 2120 does. My 2120DV rides better. My 2120 seems to want to drift sideways most of the time. But I wouldn't trade the 21DV for the 2520MV. The 2120 is a great boat for fishing and performance. No problems with the cut transom at all.

mrfunandson":14td5lko said:
I have had my 2008 2120 since new, one of the first things I did was remove the splash well, gives me 2' more fishing room. Only time I have ever taken water over the transom was when drift fishing and another jerk goes by on plane and throws a large wake at the stern when we are standing back there. (Long Island's south shore happens on occasion) Water has never made it to the cabin door, that is not at all a concern at all.

All your other outboard boats have been a notched transom, why are you making this harder on your self? If your a drift fisherman you can imagine what a pain working around a bracked outboard will be. Go for the sea trial, like it by it, I would not trade mine for anything in this size range.

Hi - Thanks for your report re the splash well and your experience in general..........Very helpful. I have a ride set up for tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing first hand how these boats handle and drift.

You are right that I am making a big deal out of this. I think it's a visual thing, the notch in the transom just looks very deep but I suspect it is well above the water line and I found out that the stern of these boats has a LOT of buoyancy due to added foam.

thanks for taking the time to chime in - appreciated !
sarge

mildew2":152n1khn said:
I had a 2520 before I bought my 2120. The 2520 was a MV and it drifted much straighter and with less rolling than my 2120 does. My 2120DV rides better. My 2120 seems to want to drift sideways most of the time. But I wouldn't trade the 21DV for the 2520MV. The 2120 is a great boat for fishing and performance. No problems with the cut transom at all.

Hi - Makes sense re the drift and says a lot for the ride of the 2120. Seems like the perfect size for me fishing solo about half the time and never more than 2-3 on a trip.

No More Canvas.........I'll miss canvas about as much as I miss the teak on the Fortier........NOT.

thanks too for the transom report !
sarge

I just bought a 2012 2120 earlier this year. I was a little nervous about the notch as well, but it's been no problem for me. I'm on Lake Champlain where you can get some really weird wave action because the lake is 125 miles long (north/south) and only 5ish wide. I've had no issues at all with it. I've even tried to back down into stuff to see what happens and rarely got anything over a little slush in the splashwell. It was good enough that I ended up taking the splash guard out.

And I freakin LOVE this boat. The house is bigger than it looks, and for a bout it's size, it's got great storage.

Best feature: Definitely get the second helm. I love that thing too.

N

2120 SC Open Transom
Purchased my first Parker in 2011...a 2120 Sc...love the boat. I fish primarily in the pacific northwest for salmon, hali and tuna...run 20 -40 miles offshore without issues. Needless to say pick the conditions you are comfortable with.
Lots of rough water..no problem for my 2120...as Dale mentioned a mini battle ship that can be trailered to wherever...I do a lot of trailering.
Regarding the notched transom....easy to fight a fish around the boat/motor with motor in tight; I feel if I ever did take in a large quantity of blue water I would rather have a notched transom instead of a closed one..easy out.
I kept my splash well but raised it one inch via small sections of pvc pipe around longer screws...really helps with wash down...
I also mounted two vertical rod holders on the inboard side outside my 30 gal bait tank.
I have posted a lot of mods I did on my 2120 so take a peek...Best boat I have ever owned.

Back