2120 Performance with F150

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshdad

Reaction score
Guys,

I am thinking of buying a 2120 with an F150 engine. I previously owned a 2320 with an F250.

Can anyone tell me if the F150 is adequate power for the 2120. How does the 2120 with the F150 handle offshore conditions?

I fish off the coast in Southern California

Thanx,

I have an 08 2120 w/a 200hp. I think that if you just fish off it you'll be ok,but if you load it up w/dive gear like I do then I would go bigger.
I think the 150 is an excellent motor,but may be a little small for a 2120sc.IMO.
I know folks that have 150's,and love em.
When I told my dealer what I was going to do w/my boat,they suggested a 200,so thats what I went with.Glad I did.
I go out of SB,and dive,and fish the Northern Channel Islands.
Good luck.
MJ.

When I bought my 2007 2120, I talked to Parker and to Yamaha about the 150 vs. the 200. Seemed to me that the Yammie engineer knew the most about performance, speed, torque, etc. Bottom line for me was that 1) Yammie thought the 150 had the latest and best engineering 2) The 200 would add about 50 pounds on the transom for the life of the boat 3) The 200 would only give me 2 MPH more at wide open throttle (WOT) than the 150.

Since I was primarily interested in WOT performance, it was an easy decision for me to go with the 150. Took me awhile to get the right prop on the 150 and it made a huge difference. It is: 68F-45970-00-00. It was designed for the 150 4 stroke. You can check out:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Maybe for your application, torque with a load may be more important than WOT? I'd call Yammie for sure.

...................Pete

I have a '06 2120 with a Yami 150 4-stroke. I fish the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding waters. The 150 has held up real well. Fuel ecconomy is good. If I was to repower I might move up to a 225 4-stroke but I curse at 30-32 with a full load. Never caught a fish going fast anyway!

What is the max hull HP? Multiply that by .75 and don't go any lower. Stay around .85 to .90 and you will be happy.

Underpowering is bad for the motor and will leave you with a desire to repower, and end up costing you a lot more money in the long run.

Better to run a stronger motor at 3/4 throttle, than a weak motor at 7/8 throttle.

Dave

I have an 07 2120 with the 150 FS. The power is adequate and I'm happy with the 150's economy to run.If I fish inshore bluefin my area is 40 miles from the inlet,I fish a good 5-7 hours and the whole trip I usually burn 55 gallons.
The extra $$$ spent on the 200 was not worth it. If you went and maxxed out the boat with 225 you'd have plenty of speed but you have throttle back an re-trim or you will think the boat pounds like heck out of you. Plus that weight of an already transom heavy boat would concern me.With a full tank of fuel my skeg will still remain about 3-4 inches under water until some fuel is burned off,can't imgaine how far down it would sit with a 225.

Here's the numbers from my boat using the F225 and the prop it came with:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=5616

Before getting my boat, I fished with total of 3 guys on a 2120 with a F150. Calm day, 48gal livewell, and no tower. Handled well, except a little long to get out of the hole and up on plane. Not too big deal though unless you're a performance junkie. If that boat had the 3 of us and the extra weight and drag of a tower too, I think the 150 would be a little underpowered though.

I have the 2120sc with the 150. From what I was told the extra weight of the 200 takes away from the benifit it gives. I have no complaints about the package. Although I can feel the difference with the 48gal. bait tank full, but nothing I am bummed with. Handles fine in rough weather, wich I have been through a time or two. Hope this helps, good luck.

For what it's worth I love my '07 2120SC with the 150. Perfect for So Cal/Mexico fishing, reliable, economical, plenty of power. I'm a big guy--6'9", 325#, and I usually have a full bait tank (another 300#), lots of ice, gear and the wife, so the saving in weight was important to me. I have never wanted for more power, but I'm not a speed freak either and running along at 20 - 25 mph is about as fast as you can ever go in our local waters without pounding the heck out of your boat anyway.

My 04 2120SC runs teriffic with the 150 Yam. HPDI and added Permatrim plate. I fish inshore in the Chesapeake and offshore Maryland and North Carolina. I have put my mone into safety gear with a "ACR" 406 EPIRB last year and this year a raft. The 150 HPDI does very good on fuel consumption and gives me plenty of power. Thought about adding a bracket and putting on a 225 like was posted by another member, but no need to spend the cash in this economy, just happy to have a decent boat!

Attachments

• bluefin1.jpg
    bluefin1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Ebay6.jpg
    Ebay6.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,119
"06 2120 SC w/ the 150 4 stroke in So Cal. My fuel numbers are very close to Yamaha's performance bullitens for that boat. I seldom get the throttle up too much past 60% and she'll run around 22 MPH at around 4500 rpms which is, for me anyway, right at the comfort level. In these waters the boat pounds a little at higher speeds in the average sea state.

Initially it took me a little longer to get it up on plane then I wanted so I added a dolefin and she now steps up very nice.

It does bog down a little climbing the back of some of the big rollers we get around here but I dont see that as a real major issue.

I have a friend with the 200 and he can easily catch air under his 2120, but why would you want to, especially as hard as it hits when it comes down?

I would have a hard time saying the 150 is underpowered. It just may not have the power that some would want.

I have the 2120 with the F200 and I am sure the 150 would have been fine but having a little extra power cant hurt.

I have an '04 2120 with the 150 2-stroke. No problem running to the Barnegat Reef off the Jersey shore for fishing. Takes Barnegat Inlet well with power to spare. It's mostly run as fast as conditions allow, but in the bay I can open it up and do close to 40 mph. Load, trim and prop selection do matter.

Latest posts

Back