2120 vs 2520 dv drift?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay2120

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently own a 2120 and looking to move up to a 2520 soon. I've read just about every thread about the 2520 Mod-V vs 2520 dv. However I'm still undecided whether to go for the 16 degree Mod V or the 21 degree DV. My only experience with the deep V is on my 2120.
Not to beat a dead horse here, but my question is how much of a difference does the 2520 dv drift, troll and anchor compared to my 2120? My 2120 is a bit too tender to my liking (I get motion sickness). Will the 2520 dv with its wider beam be ALOT more stable?
Thanks

My 2530 deep v always drifted stern to sea. How far do u have to run and how fast do u want to go? Thatll be the easiest decision in mod or deep v

I love my MV the guy with the DV blows by me.. but when we get there he's rocking and rolling and my coffee is sitting in my Gunnal..
On my last trip. 80 miles one way my buddies DV beat me home by 10 miles..

BradV":hmujd2ua said:
How far do u have to run and how fast do u want to go?

If you get seasick easily, the differences in "roll" between the dv and mv won't matter much. You are going to get sick in either case.

Brad's assessment is right on. If you only have to run a few miles out and you only go out in calmer waters, the MC would be great. If you have to run far and want to run in higher seas, the DV is a better choice.

It's not that your mv can't run in the same seas a dv can, you just have to work your tabs, trim and you can't go as fast.

Speed isn't nearly as important to me as comfort. On my 2120 with the F200 on calm days 1-2' I can cruise easily at 25+ knots but I rarely do,even on calm days anything above 18 knots I still have drinks and tackle bouncing around. Most of my fishing is within 15 miles, however I'm beginning to venture further out offshore 30+ miles. I guess as long as I can maintain a cruising speed within 15 to 20 knots and with minimal pounding in a head sea on days with 3-4's then I'd be happy with the ModV.

TheOtherLine":fca8idjr said:
It's not that your mv can't run in the same seas a dv can, you just have to work your tabs, trim and you can't go as fast.
So true! When the seas are bad and I can't "stand up on the deck to fish" is when I turn for the barn. But then, no deep-V would be fishing then either.

Jay2120":fca8idjr said:
I guess as long as I can maintain a cruising speed within 15 to 20 knots and with minimal pounding in a head sea on days with 3-4's then I'd be happy with the ModV.
IMHO you won't be turning screws for 20 knots with minimal pounding in honest 3-4s with a mod-V, that much is for sure! Average 2-3s maybe, but not in the confused, short period, wind driven "3-4 foot seas" I typically see whilst venturing offshore for tuna ...

I LOVE my mod-V and once brought her home with steep 8-10 footers breaking OVER my cabin rooftop and she rode really, really, REALLY well :D !

The wave run-off in the cockpit sure me me glad I had > 4,000 GPH of bilge pump capability in the stern alone back there (only the 1200 gph pump on auto ever went on), though my high water alarm was intermittant (more so due to wave action, and hull riding up & down), at least until the pump caught up. I never had to trip the storm pump (2200 gph) or the back-up 'crash' pump (another 1500 gph) on, as most wash blasted down and off the washboards or through those tiny, little scuppers I keep swearing I'll upgrade some day to minimum 2" drain holes (and to be equipped with 'ball' scuppers on the stern).

My Dad almost killed me :shock: when he heard about that trip though ... said he "raised me better than that" ...

Also remember, the MV will require less HP and burn less overall - ultimately less $ to run.

drvan":22cukw5g said:
Also remember, the MV will require less HP and burn less overall - ultimately less $ to run.

I think I'm sold!! Now I got to find a 2520XL within my budget and in the Northeast (NY/NJ/CT)

What is the fuel capacity of the XL? I've heard it varies

Back