21SE Engel Issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgro808

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have the newer 21se with the Engel cooler up front and notice it not performing well?

I've noticed it going through ice faster than I'd expect....and no this isn't a yeti vs Engel vs whoever argument. I have several brands of rotomolds and they all do well.

I'm thinking that maybe the snaps screwed into the lid for the cushion compromised the vacuum up top and it may be sweating through the lid. Not a huge issue, but I'm considering putting an RTIC 110 up there with sea del for padding instead and relegating the Engel to a fish box on fishing trips. Just curious if anyone else may have noticed this as well?

I have an Engel 240 on my 2320. No problems holding ice for 12 hrs. I’ve noticed that not all rotomolded coolers are the same even apples to apples.
I have two yeti small coolers: a 35 and a 45.
That 45 doesn’t hold ice for 4 hours before it starts to melt significantly. Where the 35 holds ice until we’re back at the dock.
You may just have one that sucks.

I think he is referring to the process of drilling holes in coolers, that are built 'doubled-skinned,' but that have no foam injected between the skins when they were manufactured. You can drill holes in the coolers (particularly in the lids) and foam-fill the voids with over-the-counter spray foams. These foams have good 'expandability' ('Great-Stuff, Certain-Seal' etc.)... If you do this, I recommend that you do not use the 'white-type' spray foams; they are useless, weak, and will eventually disintegrate into a powder. Use the closed-cell urethane foam spray foams. Like I mentioned, Great-Stuff. Certain-Seal. I have not used these in years so I hope they are still available.

Thanks Andy, exacly what i we referring to. I've done this with many igloo coolers with great results (and some bad results). I could never justify the high cost of these highend coolers for my boating life style. Evertime someone buys a Yeti I inherit another igloo.
If the OP's cooler isnt foam filled but vacuum sealed then yes the screws compromised the seal and the void needs to be filled.

Thanks Andy, exacly what i we referring to. I've done this with many igloo coolers with great results (and some bad results). I could never justify the high cost of these highend coolers for my boating life style. Evertime someone buys a Yeti I inherit another igloo.
If the OP's cooler isnt foam filled but vacuum sealed then yes the screws compromised the seal and the void needs to be filled.
Great minds think alike! ☺ I've foam-filled the lids on a lot of Igloos and other coolers, and also have foam-fill the sides and bottoms on some of them that needed it..... The foams used to be available in a variety of 'expandabilities'.
I'd use the high-expansion foam. Drill the holes in a uniform pattern. Coat the cooler with Vasoline or WD40. Fill the voids with foam. Make a mess, as the foam expands and oozes out of the holes. Wait until the foam cures. Scrape off the excess foam. Clean off the Vasoline and/or WD 40...
If I had been smarter, I might have bought better coolers! (but not the 'new-fangled' coolers... an average size Yeti and other 'premium' coolers, once filled with ice, fish (beer!☺), are too heavy for this old dude to lift!

Last edited:

The OP said he has an Engel. They are rotomolded. You can't pour or inject into a rotomolded cooler. There is no void to fill.

"Engel's Rotomolded High Performance Hard Coolers are designed to retain ice for up to 10 days. Built with a rotomolded construction, two full inches of insulation in the lid, the sides and the bottom, along with high-quality silicone gaskets create a nearly airtight seal."
Direct sun could be the issue or maybe his cooler or Ice is defective

The OP said he has an Engel. They are rotomolded. You can't pour or inject into a rotomolded cooler. There is no void to fill.
Thank you. I am not familiar with Engel coolers. I didn't know they already had foam-filled cores, (as you and Tomc585 mentioned) and/or are not after-market fillable.

Last edited:
"Engel's Rotomolded High Performance Hard Coolers are designed to retain ice for up to 10 days. Built with a rotomolded construction, two full inches of insulation in the lid, the sides and the bottom, along with high-quality silicone gaskets create a nearly airtight seal."
Direct sun could be the issue or maybe his cooler or Ice is defective
Defective ice 😂😂

Back