23 SE repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahare

Reaction score
I plan to re-power my 23 SE for next season and would like to hear from other 23 SE owners as to what power they have and what their experiences have been.

I have owned my 23 from new for the last thirty years. This will be the third engine, the first was a 1988 Johnson 200 v6, the second a 2002 Johnson 150 two stroke. Both engines seemed to provide adequate power, however I'm a bit concerned that a 150 four stroke may disappoint.

Part of the re-power will be to preemptively replace the fuel tank and also convert the boat from a center console to a dual console. I'm also seriously considering raising the transom height from 25" to 30", in which case I will need to go with a 225 or 250 hp engine. Going to a 250 four stroke that might weigh over 625 pounds concerns me a bit in terms of maintaining the boat's self-bailing capability. Does anyone have a large heavy engine on their 23 SE. There is a new Jones Brother's 23 at a marina near me that has a 250 Yamaha on it and it looks fine. And the Jones 23 is not as wide and big as the Parker 23 SE.

All responses to my post will be appreciated.

Thanks

I never owned a 23 SE but had a 21 SE with a 2S 150 HP for a few years. I don't think I'd consider a 4S 150 on a 23 SE but one of the light weight 4 cyl 200 HP four strokes may be ideal for you.

I have a 23se with the 250 Yamaha 4-stroke with fly-by-wire controls. I think it’s perfect motor on this boat. With full fuel, I get 3.5 miles per gallon at 3500 rpm/30mph. At 4100rpm/34mph I get about 3mpg. I like your idea to raise the transom up to 30” also.

Has anyone ever raised the transom on a Parker from 25 to 30 inches?

Or seen or heard of it?

I have the 4.2L F225 XCA on my 2014 SE. Been on 23se's with the I4 200 and the 150. The 200 is adequate. I love having the extra power, boat is incredibly responsive. Big difference in the I4 200 and the V6 225. Do a lot of fishing in the nearshore ocean and it definitely makes me feel more confident in and out of the inlet. I am a big guy and often fish 4 on the boat as well.

The 200 will be more fuel efficient, and adequate near shore, esp with a light crew. I would only get the 150 if I planned on using it as a back bay type vessel foremost and was worried about fuel use ie light tackle guiding.

Hope that help

Latest posts

Back