2320 Battery Location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Where do they put the batteries in the 2320's ? Do they come with single or dual battery setups ? If they only come with the single battery is the switch a single or dual position one, so you can add another battery ? Anybody got any pics of the location/setup ?

Mine came with two batteries in the bilge accessible through a hatch in the back center of the cockpit with a switch with Off, 1, 2 and Both.

No pictures handy. Hope that helps.

Jawbreaker":2tv24vqt said:
Mine came with two batteries in the bilge accessible through a hatch in the back center of the cockpit with a switch with Off, 1, 2 and Both.

Mine is a 2520, but the batteries are in the same area.
You can't see the batteries in this photo, but you can see the cables going to them. :)

Image-D11A0EF9182711DB.jpg

Did you get a notched transom or full transom?

I have a full transom (2002 2320DVSC) and my batteries are located in the aft corners of the transom, underneath the storage boxes. You pull the liner out of the box to access the battery. Switch is on the port side. I believe mine was stock with two Group 24, however I went up one size (largest that would fit) to Group 27 (?).

I wired mine so that one is starting and one is house. They can be combined if necessary. It has not ever been necessary, even after running the bait tank, anchor light, stereo, and depth finder for ~ 8 hours-that dedicated starting battery is there ready and waiting to fire us up and move to the next spot.

JW

The boat would be with a full transom w /bracket. Thanks for the pic. I was just curious as to where they were located and how easy they were to access. Just in case I needed to run more wires for power/accessories. I searched but couldn't find any pictures or location indications in any threads and so I thought I would just ask.

Megabyte":2o01e8ut said:
Jawbreaker":2o01e8ut said:

Mine is a 2520, but the batteries are in the same area.
You can't see the batteries in this photo, but you can see the cables going to them. :)

Image-D11A0EF9182711DB.jpg

1st how the heck do you keep your bilge so clean? :roll: You must have prepped it for this picture. :wink: I am going to clean mine ASAP!

2nd I am not sure I like the batteries in the bilge? The lack of ventilation and in the event of water getting in the bilge could be a problem? Is that you battery switch mounted to the hull, to the starboard? 2" water and by, by power. :shock: I know you mentioned in other threads having problems with the battery switch (I can see why) I like the weight down low but not sure about moisture issue? If you didn't just wash it is really wet in there.

To clarify. On my full transom 2320 the batteries are well above waterline. I would have an entirely different world of problems if my batteries were anywhere near water-like 12" of water in the cockpit.

There may be different locations for different years of production. I believe that boats newer than mine have a different transom configuration and the batteries may be placed differently.

JW

maxout":9pqvw75w said:
1st how the heck do you keep your bilge so clean? :roll: You must have prepped it for this picture. :wink: I am going to clean mine ASAP!

If I deem the bilge 'dirty', I toss my excess wash water in there after I'm done scrubbing the boat down. Orpine boat soap, Zep orange cleaner, and bleach makes a great combo. Give it a quick swipe with the sponge, and let the bilge pump get rid of the excess. Anything that remains leaves the boat the first time I get up on plane.

maxout":9pqvw75w said:
2nd I am not sure I like the batteries in the bilge? The lack of ventilation and in the event of water getting in the bilge could be a problem? Is that you battery switch mounted to the hull, to the starboard? 2" water and by, by power. :shock: I know you mentioned in other threads having problems with the battery switch (I can see why) I like the weight down low but not sure about moisture issue? If you didn't just wash it is really wet in there.

Here are the batteries. They are sealed AGM's and don't require ventillation like flooded cell batteries do.

Image-5C4BC7DA4F5411DB.jpg

Notice that they sit up on a 'step' (seen in the photo below) and are not down where water would be an issue. If I had enough water down there to cause problems with the terminals, it would mean that my two 2000 gph bilge pumps had failed, and I'd have a lot more serious trouble to contend with.

Image-DD7DC9660D5C11DC.jpg

For what it is worth, my battery switch is located well up on the transom wall and I have never ever had an issue with it. It is a factory OEM switch.

Image-5C4C28044F5411DB.jpg

Image-5C4CDF244F5411DB.jpg

Yes, the bilge was wet in that photo because i'd just finished cleaning. When I'm done for the day, I prop that hatch open with a piece of wood to promote ventilation. Everything is dry by the next day. :wink:

I think the location of the batteries depends on the model, and possibly even the year. I've been running this setup for 5 seasons now and have had zero issues, tho I am a little anal about maintenance (and photographing my projects). :D

Good battery choice, is that the factory location for the batteries? I noticed a small white fuse holder at the battery on what looks like 10gage orange wire. What is this to? The bilge pump? I have had problems with that style fuse holder allot in the past. I would recommend a rubber sealed fuse holder for that location. If it is the style I suspect the contacts are spring loaded and corrosion is likely between the contact area and fuse. I recommend the rubber style that the fuse pushes into as the contact surface is much greater and less likely to corrode. Just a thought.

Your clean bilge is an inspiration for me to clean mine... :wink:

maxout":13cv2ibd said:
Good battery choice, is that the factory location for the batteries? I noticed a small white fuse holder at the battery on what looks like 10gage orange wire. What is this to? The bilge pump?

Yes, that is the factory battery location.

That wire was used for some other device that was removed a couple of years back. I believe that it now powers my LED cockpit lighting.

FWIW - I'm one of those folks that does not believe in fusing bilge pumps. I'd rather not introduce a point of failure into a safety system. My feeling that the probability of a short in a bilge pump is much, much less than the probability of a failure of a fuse.

This is a topic that has been hotly and endlessly debated online (especially on THT) with people on both sides of the issue holding strong views. My feeling is... Do whatever makes you feel the most secure.

We have the 2310WA with full transom. Two group 29 batteries sit in the transom. The group 29s were Parker std equipment. Not sure if they changed to group 24 or 27, but the group 29s fit OK.

Paul

Back