23se ride question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flukenewsty

Reaction score
My buddy came down and took a ride with me on the 1801. He loved the boat but wants to look into a little bigger model. Is the 23se capable of running 20-30 out for bluefin and light trolling? Being the shallower v i know it will pound a bit more but is it out of the questions on a less than 3 feet day? The deep v looks good but out of the price range. Any suggestions?

I'm very happy with my 23SE ride. The SE is 14 degree deadrise and the offshore 23 is 21 degrees. The SE drafts 10" the offshore drafts 15".

I use mine my 23se for sharking/bluefin 5+ times per season. I run anywhere from 35-65 miles to do so, 1 way.

The correct deadrise on the 2300 is 21 degrees. You also gain the transom fishbox and full transom with bracket. There is also additional weight, requiring more power for equal performance.

I have a 23SE and love it. I have taken it 40 miles out and I regularly go 15 miles. The boat is capable, but make no mistake it does pound. Trimming it right helps, but it’s still a 14 degree deadrise. I bought the SE because most of my fishing is inshore or near shore and because of the fuel efficiency. I only go far out when the weather is right.

If your buddy is like me and fishes mostly near/inshore with occasional trips out in good weather than the SE is a great choice. If the majority of his fishing is offshore than IMO he should go with the DV (21 degree as mentioned above). If price is an issue he should look for used or older if he is already looking at used.

Gary

I think GaryM summed it up.

I am 25 - I can take the pounding. Do I got far in 2-4's...depends on the wave period and wind....whether it is going to chop or rollers....I check out noaa, fishweather, buoyweather before preparing for a long run - on any boat.

The worst that I have had happend was coming back from Nantucket. We absolutely got slammed as we were trying to make our way to Cuttyhunk to meet up with the "mother boat." Got into some real nasty stuff....5-8s, legit (not the ones most people think are 5-8s). Without an auto pilot it was a real problem but besides worried about my buddy falling over board, I did not once worry about the boat...it took us 2.5 hours halfway from NKT to Minemsha to get into Minemsha...then it cleared up and we made it to Cuttyhunk.

There are only 2 "dissapointments' of the 23 se which I view as positives.... lack of storage and pounding in chop. Depending on the level of chop, you can trim it out to be better, but you'll get wet. However, that pounding translates into excellent range/burn and great stability on the drift. The boat is perfect for my evening runs to the Race for stripers/blues, or for drift fishing. The lack of storage is a different issue...items you would like to permanently stay on the boat - cannot. However, the amount of room you get for a 23 foot boat is ridiculous....the dance floor up front can fit anything you want. I have a small boner box I put up there for offshore. All the gear stays on top of the ice on the run out, then comes out while trolling and/or sharking...then we put it back away for the run in.

For the needs, the 23se is perfect. The price is right and the fuel economy cannot be beaten. Don't get me wrong - I think I will get a DV for my next boat, but that's just because I would like my girlfriend to step foot on it more often.

Back