23SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24u2nv

Reaction score
what is the difference between a 23se and a regular 23??

23Se probably will perform a little better with less horsepower and have a little shallower draft that will allow you to get to places you might not with the DV.You will give up a little in a head sea but not much with trim tabs.

I have a 21SE and talk of chiropractors and tooth fillings falling out is absolutely absurd. The 21SE with tabs gives a great ride. I traded in a Wellcraft 25 Sportsman with a deep v hull and the 21SE is a drier and more comfortable ride. If my boat is banging my kidneys around, it would probably not be a good day to be out there anyway. I've been out in open ocean waters in a pretty good chop and she handled it without a problem.

I have had a 23 SE for the past 7 seasons. It has taken care of me nicely. The boat will take far more punishment than my body will. I particularly like the single level floor with an incredible amount of square footage for a 23' boat.

With my 200-hp HPDI engine, I average 3 mpg over the entire year -- not bad for a large and heavy hull.

If you are interested in a 23 SE, mine is currently available for quick sale at a great price.

Theibis":3gx3s9fx said:
I have a 21SE and talk of chiropractors and tooth fillings falling out is absolutely absurd. The 21SE with tabs gives a great ride. I traded in a Wellcraft 25 Sportsman with a deep v hull and the 21SE is a drier and more comfortable ride. If my boat is banging my kidneys around, it would probably not be a good day to be out there anyway. I've been out in open ocean waters in a pretty good chop and she handled it without a problem.

I agree. My 21SE rides better than all the DV boats I've had before including a 20 Step-V Wellcraft and a Bertram 25. The Lenco trim tabs make the difference as none of the other boats had them. The 21SE gives me the flexibility to go up in the creeks and to fish 30+ miles offshore and I can fish by myself if there is no one to go with me. At my age I don't do kidney pounding anymore as I'll slow down or stay home.

Full disclosure...I have the 23DVCC.

Just got to ride a 23 SE about a month ago. Sorry, but the ride is totally different. It is clear right away that the SE is a lighter boat with all of the good and bad that comes with that. The good is that is does take less HP to get it moving, is nimbler handling when fishing close to the rocks, is probably a little stabler when drifting due to the shallower deadrise.

However, and this is a big however, it does NOT handle like the DV in any kind of sea. Trim tabs CANNOT make up for this. Depending on where you are, this may not be a big deal (like the Chesapeake). For me, riding 20 miles out to Stellwagen, it is important.

Both boats are built like brick you-know-whats and will take far more punishment than you can take, so I don't think it's a safety difference.

Lastly, my buddy has a 23 Regulator and the 23 DV Parker does not have the ride of the Regulator. The Reg is heavier yet, with a degree or so more deadrise. The Reg is wetter, but even more forgiving than the Parker DV.

My boat before the Parker was an Eastern 22 CC which is, perhaps, the exact opposite of my current boat. Super light, shallow deadrise, etc. It was the perfect tool for fly fishing along the rocks of Mass. Only when I wanted to go offshore did it not make sense as a boat. The point is that the 23 SE and DV are different tools and you first need to define what your needs are. But, the ARE different no matter what anybody says.

I have had the 21SE for 5 years, and am on my third season with my 23SE. I fish off of New Jersey, routinely out to 30-40 miles. Most days I am able to do 20 knots pretty comfortably in my 23SE. Depending on the wind, you may get a little wet sometimes, but overall I am very happy with it. Is it a Regulator - absolutely not, and I will not even pretend to try to compare it. However, it is a solid boat that rides well. The chiropractor and loose filling jokes are ridiculous. Wear a pair of crocs and the ride is even nicer. Obviously we all have budgets we need to work within, and the SE fits nicely in there for some.

PS - Some of the items like the Washdown and the livewell that optimaxfish states are available on the 23DVCC are also available on the 23SE.

Full disclosure...I have the 23DVCC.

Just got to ride a 23 SE about a month ago. Sorry, but the ride is totally different. It is clear right away that the SE is a lighter boat with all of the good and bad that comes with that. The good is that is does take less HP to get it moving, is nimbler handling when fishing close to the rocks, is probably a little stabler when drifting due to the shallower deadrise.
...dave-j

Of course dave-j is completely right here. I have the 23SE, and chose it over the DVCC for very differences that he mentions. It was a tough choice though, because I do like to venture off a bit, and the DVCC gives a better ride in rough seas - it is also deeper, heavier, and with the full transom and higher gunnels, I feel more "inside" that boat when riding in it - a not very meaningful psychological effect, but it was how I felt.

At the end of the day, I chose the SE because I do like to creep into the shallow water, and into the rocks - and as a fly guy that really is my predominant use. I love the SE and do not regret the decision at all. and with tabs it does ride pretty well in a head sea (I am thinking about larger tabs though, so connect the dots there!).

If Stellwagon or offshore was my primary use I absolutely would have chosen the DVCC. They are both great. Decide based upon where and how you intend to use your boat most often.

Very educational thread folks. It reaffirms that I want a 23SE as I am an inshore/near shore guy and only go "out" when it is slick.

Thanks!

Back