25.20 Mod V In a hard Head Sea

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod

Reaction score
This is my 3rd year with the Parker. Yesterday I was in the bay with a Hard SW blow. On the ride home I was dead on a 2-3 Foot @ 2 seconds head sea.

I had the motor trimmed all the way down and the trim tabs @ probably 50%.

The ride wasn't that bad, but I was wondering what you guys with the Mod-V do..

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQzsze5ya4[/url]

Wow, I have to get me some tabs! I have the same hull and could never
do that speed in that sea without stuff coming loose. What year is the hull? What exactly was your GPS speed? Is your hull a 14 or 16 degree?
At least you were dry and warm.

I'd go 100% on the tab function and see what it would do.

I have a 2004 2520XL hull (16 degrees) and I was not satisfied with the stock tabs.... so I supersized them!

4506665854_92912285e1_b.jpg

4506665674_2d9363b726_b.jpg

With my boat with the large tabs I could keep the bow stuck in the water at that speed although it would take more throttle and hence consume more fuel.

They are the Bennet 30 X 9.

WARNING: In a following sea with tabs this big there is a much greater danger of stuffing the bow than the stock tabs. If you turn fast from a head sea with tabs deployed and don't work those tabs you will remember this warning.

Richard

Good to know. I knew I was going to have to put trim tabs on my 2520 14 degree with a 250 on the transome. Sooner the better.

With a 14 deg MV hull, I've actually learned to do a contrarian thing. I trim the motor up, and the tabs up and slow down. When I pull the motor in and the tabs down, I get so much spray over the bow that I need to have curtains on three sides. If I trim up and slow down, I go slow, but not wet or pound.

I know it sounds back-asswards, but that is what I do.

Dave

aka

Barnegat, huh? Me too. I say speed up and skim over that stuff! Just kidding. Our bay gets nasty and all we can do is slow down, trim down and deal. I run a 2520 XL and it's always a slog to get home when the wind kicks up.

I too went with larger tabs, but only went to 24" wide, also Bennetts. I leave my motor trimmed to where she usually is for cruising.

One tip when the seas are on a ~45-degree angle to the bow. Trim to put the seaward side to run higher, in fact sometimes I just use the one tab to put the leeward or less seaward down. Using one tab and keep the weather side out of the seas improves fuel efficiency tremendously, as per my fuel computer readout in mpg.

We all have learned that the Parker is not a Contender. Each hull rides differently and each owner has different conditions in which he runs. We have learned that the inferior stock trim tab is insufficient. Go with as large a tab as your set up will allow... single engine setups typically can run with a larger tab than a twin setup. Slow down, trim your tabs accordingly, and enjoy the ride as best you can. Just remember you may be getting the sheat beat out of you... but you are dry. "There is always someone bigger, faster, and makes more money than you!

samj":17bhohrh said:
We all have learned that the Parker is not a Contender. Each hull rides differently and each owner has different conditions in which he runs. We have learned that the inferior stock trim tab is insufficient. Go with as large a tab as your set up will allow... single engine setups typically can run with a larger tab than a twin setup. Slow down, trim your tabs accordingly, and enjoy the ride as best you can. Just remember you may be getting the sheat beat out of you... but you are dry. "There is always someone bigger, faster, and makes more money than you!

Well stated. :wink:

It's not just the lack of deadrise in the semi-vee and mod-vee Parker pilothouses...it's the far forward control station inside the cabin.

I had a 2003 2520XL for a couple of years. Great boat, 16 degrees of deadrise...and in any sort of chop, I drove from the optional rear station, where the hull was more "connected," as it were, with the water. Far less bounce.

My 2100CC deep vee rides the chop better than my 2520XL and it weighs less than half as much.

If I were to buy another pilothouse Parker, I wouldn't consider anything less than a deep vee model. And I have a feeling it would be the 23' footer...I think the 25 pilothouse deep vees are too wide for the length of the hull to ride smoothly in the chop.

I have the 14 modV with Bennet 24x9's.....when headed dead into or quartering the snotty chop I trim the motor all the way down and then trim the tabs as much as needed to get the bow down and stable......may be a wet ride but we have squeezed 5 grown men and a large dog in the cabin before......can usually make 18-20 knots when trimmed good.

I have a '91 25' MVSC and do most of my boating either on LI Sound in CT, or off Cape Cod -- neither area known for calm seas. I have Bennett 24X9 tabs, and adjust them and the motor trim according to conditions. I also slow down... a lot if it's nasty. My buddies will sometimes blow by me in their deep-v center consoles and I can swear I see a look of envy on their wet faces...

Ok I have quietly watched and listened many conservations on ride quality and tab's......so i have a few questions my self

My 2006 2820 has what appear to be large(long) factory tabs , my guess since she is in water and has not been an issue and more of a question is the ride relative to conditions.

The tabs i have (SEE PICTURE) seem to work fine , i would say they are 24"long and 9-10" wide....

They seem to work well but since been reading i have some ?'s

In calm seas boat is barely in need of tabs....but in Montauk its usually plenty rough so i'd say i deploy the tabs most every run.

It seems in rough "CHOP" not big rollers that even with tabs i have to slow down to 18 21 mph to get a "SMOOTHER" lol ride

Yes if you run at a 45 degree angle its better but i cannot always do that due to heading out south of MTK PT

For those of you who have 2820's or 2520 with twin 225's what is your average speed in heavy 2-3/3-5 short interval chop???? and how trimmed out are you ???

Attachments

• 0403000943.jpg
    0403000943.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,006
Back