25' DV depth maesurment

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
My boat is about 150 miles away from me and I cant get to it for about a week. I am looking for a little help from some one who may have a DV 25' on a trailer or out of the water.
I need a measurement amidships from the top of the gunnel to the bottom of the hull, A bank I am working with is requireing this to determine gross tonnage to see if they will require me to get USCG documentation.
If someone can answer this I would appreciate it
Thanks

CaptainJim":vyjdemlq said:
the vessel is under 5gt displacement, and therefore does not need to be documented
Not quite true as it turns out. 7 net tons according to USCG formula, but thanks for your input.

hardhead":15d2at4z said:
I think 5 gross tons is less than 7 net tons :roll:

actually, there's no real relation in either of these measurements to the actual weight of the vessel. as defined by traditional shipping terms, Gross tons is actually a measurement of the total space of a vessel minus areas designated for the safety of the ship or the comfort of the crew as a whole. Net tons is a measurement that consists of Gross tons minus engine spaces, private crew quarters, the bridge, etc; basically, the space that is left for wage-earning cargo. Net tonnage is the unit used to compare the capacities of vessels, but gross tonnage is often used for port fees, commercial registrations, etc.

i have NO CLUE how a bank might decide to apply these measurements to a recreational vessel, seeing as there is no wage earning capacity. but, if in some wierd way they are doing so, by definition the vessel's Gross tonnage will be greater than its Net tonnage.

well what i gather is they are deciding if the vessel needs to be documented, and the USCG and NMC rules are that a vessel over 5 GROSS tons should be documented, not net tonnage.

net tonnage has no bearing on whether to document a vessel or not

Accually Off the coast gaurd form we used and measurements that Parker supplied the boat qualified for documentation. Now that is according to the USCG. Not me, not the bank but the coast gaurd. Go tell them that they dont have it right. By the way Capt Jim have you taken these measurements to be so sure the coasties dont know what they are talking about?

mark":2sqqa7p5 said:
Accually Off the coast gaurd form we used and measurements that Parker supplied the boat qualified for documentation. Now that is according to the USCG. Not me, not the bank but the coast gaurd. Go tell them that they dont have it right. By the way Capt Jim have you taken these measurements to be so sure the coasties dont know what they are talking about?

qualified does not equal required in my definition booklet my mommy gave me

no one accused anyone of not knowing what they are talking about, this was an amicable discussion.

also discussion does not equal argument

ok so i did a little more digging... as it seems the net tonnage is the standard for documentation, not gross as I was led to believe.

Coast Guard Documentation - Coast Guard documentation is a national form of vessel registration which is administered by the U.S. Coast Guard's National Vessel Documentation Center. It is one of the oldest functions of our Government, dating back to the 11th Act of the First Congress. Vessels that meet the required qualifications are issued a Certificate of Documentation that serves as evidence of ownership and entitles the vessel to engage in certain commercial activities. Although vessel documentation is optional for vessels that operate exclusively for recreational purposes, it is required for vessels that will engage in commercial activities within U.S. waters. Certificates of documentation for commercial vessels must be endorsed for the respective types of usage.

Reasons for Vessel Documentation - Coast Guard documentation is not required for pleasure or recreational usage, which includes bareboat charters. However, there are several reasons for which vessels are placed into Coast Guard documentation. First, a vessel can not engage in commercial activities within the United States unless it becomes documented and attains the respective trade endorsements. Second, marine lenders usually require vessel documentation in order to acquire a Preferred Mortgage which grants the ultimate contractual lien against any vessel. Third, owners who venture into international waters usually elect to document their vessels in order to attain certain protections afforded by the US flag. A certificate of documentation makes it easier for passage into foreign ports and is widely accepted by customs officials. Finally, some owners elect to document their vessel just for the prestige of owning a vessel which is said to carry the U.S. flag. From a visual perspective, Coast Guard documentation also precludes vessels from having to display state registration numbers. In summary, vessel documentation provides a more universally recognized certificate of ownership that is recognized worldwide and is supported by a detailed abstract reflecting all vessel ownership and lien transactions.

it would make sense that they would elect to require you to document the vessel, i was always told the general rule was 26 foot and over, and 5 gross tons or greater should be (and generally are) documented.

Vessel Qualifications for Documentation - In basic terms, a vessel must measure in volume at a minimum of five net tons. Depending the length beam, and overall depth, most vessels will need to be at least approximately twenty five feet in length to qualify. Vessel tonnage is determined by a measurement process rather than by calculating the vessel's weight or displacement. Depending on a vessel's length, the Coast Guard will require either a simple declaration from the owner, or a formal detailed measurement by an approved agency. Although the place of build is not an issue for recreational vessels, evidence that a vessel was built in the United States is required for a vessel which is to be used in a fisheries or coastwise trade. This is usually provided by the builder who will issue a Builder's Certificate, which also serves as the vessel's first evidence of title.

ultimately i'm just a guy on a website... the onus is on YOU to make the right calls

Well not trying to argue but if you read these posts I asked for a measurement. Instead of helping with the MEASUREMENT I was told the boat did not qualify for documentation as it was under 5 ton and that I should find another bank.
While I guess you would like to make me out as argumentitive, read the posts again. I believe you were only trying to make me out to be incorrect. usually not to hard but not this time.
Its all good, have a good nite
Mark

read again, sir.

I wasn't the one who told you to find a new bank, i merely stated I didn't think it was required that you document the boat because of its size. I was incorrect - and then produced proof that i WAS incorrect.

You proved me wrong and managed to misread the thread at the same time.

Back