2500 SE - Single 300 or Twin 150’s?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laidback1

Reaction score
Needing a versatile hull to handle the different types of fishing that we so.
Ratio:
50% Jetties & Near Shore
25% Offahore
25% Inshore (inshore typically drifting in
3-8’ Depth)

Narrowed down to a 2500 SE and trying to get some input on powering it. I like the idea of twins for offshore but wondering if the extra weight of twins but wondering if I’m giving up anything in performance as compared to a single motor with the same total HP.

2500 SE Single 300 or Twin 150’s?

I have twin 200s on my 2510 deep v. Plenty of power for a day of offshore fishing and a crew of 4.

Needing a versatile hull to handle the different types of fishing that we so.
Ratio:
50% Jetties & Near Shore
25% Offahore
25% Inshore (inshore typically drifting in
3-8’ Depth)

Narrowed down to a 2500 SE and trying to get some input on powering it. I like the idea of twins for offshore but wondering if the extra weight of twins but wondering if I’m giving up anything in performance as compared to a single motor with the same total HP.

2500 SE Single 300 or Twin 150’s?
With the twin 150's option, for the most part you gain a lot more weight, less performance and twice the maintenance. Yes you'd have the redundancy of a second motor, but many (most?) engine problems are fuel-related, and that often negates the redundancy advantage. A well-maintained single engine is pretty reliable. Countless offshore commercial fishing boats have single engines (yes, most or all are Diesels) and a lot of CP'ers run offshore with single's.... We have a single 300 on our 2520. I like it a lot, especially for the easier maintenance but if I were to go with twins I'd prefer twin 250's or at least twin 200's. At least with twin 250's or 200's you gain performance with the extra horsepower compensating for the extra weight.

Twin 200s are the highest HP for the weight. With twin 250s you add a total of four more cylinders.
200=I-4
250=V-6

I'm running twin 225's on my 2510 deep vee which I think is a similar hull as the 2500. Its a good setup, I think anything less is underpowered unless you're talking modified V hull. I usually run at 4500 RPM and about 35 MPH. I fish Lake Erie so most of my trips are < 20 minute runs, so fuel consumption isn't a major concern. Good luck.

Get Twin 200's minimum. We run them on our 2510 DV WA and it moves with ease. Hopefully you have at least a 175 gallon fuel tank.
The comment above is 100% accurate.. the only real problem we endured is bad fuel and cleaning the VST filter (oh Fun). Good Luck.

I have twin 200s on my 2520 XLD and it runs like a champ in the North Atlantic waters I ply. You won’t regret having them.

Back