2510 xl

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piano player

Reaction score
i noticed an old thread from march of 2006. there are pictures of the then new 2510 xl with the 16 degree hull. our boat is an early 2006 model.

i find the throttle position to be just right. probably because i'm used to it. my hull was either number one or number two. i will check this weekend. interestingly our boat has the wing vents. i noticed that the new 2008 version does not have this very nice feature like the boat in the 2006 picture.

i did install some rod holders in the cabin which we find very useful. in addition we had a short three stem bimini made. it is 54 inches leaving room for fishing the stern, has solid supports not straps and folds up just in front of the hardtop rod holders. my nice wife is sun sensitive but an avid fisherman. the bimini is a nice compromise.

we especially like the open cockpit and deck livewell and storage under the seats. i have decided that the boat is fast enough with the single f250 but next season i will pull the boat one or two times during the season and keep the bottom clean. probably would have opted for the twin 150s if i had understood the real world speed. we get 36-37 wot beginning season and 32 as we speak. we like to fly to fishing spots @ 30 or so but have been running @ 27-28.

in reading all of the talk about the deep v hull versus the modified v hull, i have concluded that the current modified v hull is a great real world compromise for our boating needs. we fish eastern bay and local chesapeake bay. we hail from crab alley.

i would like a windlass and might have one installed this winter. in any case i will have the parts installed to keep the anchor out on the bow pulpit as this should save my 60 year old back some.

it's been great reading the various threads on the site which i quietly do most days.

Attachments

• helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,447
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,447
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 2,447
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 2,447
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 2,447
piano player":sg6o3aha said:
we fish eastern bay and local chesapeake bay. we hail from crab alley.

Did not realize you were local PP. Do you winter-over at Tri-State?

I have the 2007 model, and as you can see from the pics, they eliminated the wing vents. My buddy has a Grady 232 that has them and they are a nice addition. I have the deep-V hull which my dealer recommended. Around Cape Cod, deep-Vs are pretty standard. I would recommend a windless. I got the factory model and it works great. About the only thing I would change is the location of the battery / battery switch. I got the folding bench seat and to get to the aft bilge you have to lie flat on the floor.

Attachments

• parker 004 (Medium).jpg
    parker 004 (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,432
  • parker 005 (Medium).jpg
    parker 005 (Medium).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,432
  • parker 021 (Medium).jpg
    parker 021 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,432
piano player":2vsefivc said:
i have worked with tri-state for many years.

It would be cool to make up a big ClassicParker stencil and spray the logo on the shrinkwrap of all the members boats in the Tri-State winter storage lot.

I'll bet we'd all be suprised at how many boats would be sporting the ClassicParker logo! :wink:

nice looking boat and i like the twin 150s. i wonder what the story is on the vents. and i will take your advice and have a factory windlass installed this winter.

on the thought of a classic parker stencil for the shrink wrap, i think that would be a nice touch. and i'm sure there would be alot of members at tri-state. i might be down that way this weekend depending on the weather. (hoping for a good fishing day) will talk to robert, ron, or bill. i frequent the eastern shore branch often since that's where we keep our boat. ed introduced me to the classic parker site and sold us or current boat.

by the way CapeCodFrank. my wife and i and kids spent some great times out on the cape not far from you. a place called popponesset. your water and shore line look similar. there was a spit out front which we used to swim to and an inlet with rushing tidal currents. used to catch scup off the bar.

is it still whaler country? when we were there a few gradys were about. i guess it will soon be 100% parker

Piano Player: How did you attach those rod holders to the carpeting inside the cabin?? I really want to add those to my 2520 but can't figure out how to attach them to the sides.

i cut an opening in the cloth covering over the inside of the hull, cleaned and roughed the inside hull surface, cut a piece of hardwood and used an epoxy paste to bond the wood to the inside of the hull. it's a good idea to cut some notches and rough up the underside of the blocks to allow the epoxy paste to hold. you can hold the blocks in place with some tape while they dry. and if you cut the cloth carpet to the size of the block it should look great. i still haven't trimmed my carpet. i simply cut the carpet and folded it down. it's unfinished because i fish instead of finishing the job!

then i simply attached a store bought rod holder to the pieces of wood.

the paste allows some play in the angle of positioning the wood. if i did it again i would form the wood with enough wedge to make the two surfaces on each vertical, flat in relation to each other. the epoxy paste would have been very thick on one side if i made the unwedged blocks perfectly flat in relation to each other. but then i'm just a dumb piano player and not much of a carpenter.

it's worked just fine!

if it did it again i probably would have bought a six rod holder as i believe it would have fit.

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I always though the sides of the gunnels were wasted space and your idea makes it useable. Right now I have a bunch of rods laying around the cabin taking up space.

Would you happen to remember the type of glue/epoxy you used?

Pompanesset is on Vineyard sound, on the south side of the Cape. I am actually on Buzzards Bay in Bourne. But that scene is repeated over and over on the Cape. I feel very fortunate to be able to live here. On the windless, as I said, I do have the one that the factory installed. It is a Lewmar Horizon 500. I am happy with it, but some folks here prefer a free-fall type. I guess it depends on where you tend to drop the hook... water depth, if you are trying to anchor directly over a wreck or structure, etc. I'm sure you can get lots of information searching the archives here. But do get a windless... it was the only option my wife insisted on when we got this boat.

I forgot to comment on your Whaler question. Where I am, it is Grady country. The local dealer has quite a presence here and in fact has several slips at the marina. The dealer used to sell Parker until a couple of years ago. Then, they dropped Parker (or was it the other way around... I don't know) and picked up Southport and Cris Craft, in addition to the Carolina Classic that they have always carried. Another dealer in East Falmouth picked up the Parker line. So, lots of Gradys and Parkers here, with the occasional Whaler.

i'm pretty sure i used PC-7 heavy duty epoxy paste. got it at the local hardware store where an old timer explained its use and strength. it literally hardens like rock once mixed and dried. it comes in two small cans sold together. and it allows plenty of time to work before hardening.

thanks cape cod. i will check the options at our local dealer and get what's best. enjoy your fishing. my inlaws neighbor had an old 30 bertram and we did some great fishing in the area long ago. back then there were small whalers everywhere, a few gradys and as you might guess no parkers.

of course dinosaurs also roamed!

one other thing cape cod. when the local canvas fellow built the bimini he suggested cutting the side curtains and inserting a zipper. this is really nifty! you can roll up half the side curtain or all of it. i can unzip and roll up the back side while seated inside. i will take some pictures this weekend.

of course the weather is cooler up your way.

Great tip about cutting the canvas and installing a zipper. I will look into that next spring. Do you have a winter cover? After digesting the $900 bill for shrinkwrap this year, I am definitely going to get a winter cover next year. The one that looks good is from Fisher Canvas. Last year they quoted me a price of around $1500. That will pay for itself in the second year. Plus, better than shrinkwrap in several ways. After writing this, I am now not sure if you are in the Maryland area or Florida, so a winter cover may be something you don't need....

i am in maryland. and we are still fishing. will take the boat out first week of december.

i will look into the shrink wrap/canvas cover options this weekend. in past years we have used shrink wrap. but i don't know what the cost will be this year. however, i don't remember it being quite so high.

PP...who made your sunshade? Can it be easily removed like the Parker shades?

As for shrink wrapping, I just paid Tri State $344 to shrink wrap my 2520 XL.

piano player":2m26c54y said:
i am in maryland. and we are still fishing. will take the boat out first week of december.

i will look into the shrink wrap/canvas cover options this weekend. in past years we have used shrink wrap. but i don't know what the cost will be this year. however, i don't remember it being quite so high.

Oh...oh...oh...too early!!!! Have you been to the CBBT in Dec yet? If not, once you go, you will be hooked and won't want to winterize until the first week of Jan. Don't ask me how I discovered that. :D :D :D

Back