2520 Battery Charger mounting

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasperdog

Reaction score
I am planning to attempt some projects on my 2520 over Christmas. The first one is to mount a 2 bank battery charger.

I am thinking it can go under one of the jump seats and run an extension cable to the other battery either through the bilge or out the pipe chase, across the transom below the motor, back down the other chase and hook it up.

As far as plugging it in, I was thinking out the pipe chase and secure under the gunnel in some fashion plugging in as needed. I guess I could buy the fitting and drill a hole but I can't decide if that will be better or worse.

The boat is currently 250 miles away (in a heated building) so I can't look at it and am going from memory.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, tips gladly accepted.

Thanks.....

Great Project !!

I am planning on doing a similiar one on my 2530 but trying to figure a third baterry in somehow. I was going to mount everything in the transom area where the batteries are now. (still thinking about it)

What charger are you going with?

jasperdog":3len6f7b said:
I am planning to attempt some projects on my 2520 over Christmas. The first one is to mount a 2 bank battery charger.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, tips gladly accepted.

Thanks.....

I'm sure there are better ways but here is how I did mine. I mounted the charger in the same box that houses the batteries. The chargers are waterproof. Ran the power cord behind and through the opening under the transom storage boxes and used a one of the square zip things to keep it off the deck. I then just zip tied all the connecting cables together and marked them so I know which bank charges which battery.

When I get off the boat I just toss the power cord into the boat and plug it in. I ocassionally spray the male ends with some Boeshield and I never had any problems. Did it the same way on my old boat and it lasted 5-6 years. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle.

Attachments

• Battery Charger Install (Small).jpg
    Battery Charger Install (Small).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 941
  • Battery Tender Out (Small).jpg
    Battery Tender Out (Small).jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 941
I bought the ProMite 5/5 charger with 2 outputs. I am mostly concerned about keeping the batteries topped up from any stray drains when I am not around. Same company as the one in the picture.

I am not sure if I have those same gaps you are using but my idea is basically the same. Keep it Simple and the less holes the better.

Thanks for the reinforcement and I will post some pictures if it all works out.

Just finished installing a Guest 2622A smart charger. I put it in the bilge access next to batteries and ran power cord under gunnel to panel in cabin. Also here is what I did to all doors for easier access and they don't fall open.

Attachments

• battery charger install 005 (Small).jpg
    battery charger install 005 (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 834
  • battery charger install 004 (Small).jpg
    battery charger install 004 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 834
  • battery charger install 003 (Small).jpg
    battery charger install 003 (Small).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 834
  • battery charger install 002 (Small).jpg
    battery charger install 002 (Small).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 834
  • battery charger install 007 (Small).jpg
    battery charger install 007 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 834
Here is one more picture of wiring going under transom to gunnel.

Attachments

• battery charger install (Small).jpg
    battery charger install (Small).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 831
I used the next smaller version of the ProMariner Charger that Scoops used. Still a 2-Bank model. I wanted to save as much space as possible, so I mounted the unit under the Port Gunnel. All battery wiring heads down into the stern chase and splits off into the two battery boxes which on my 2520 ModV are mounted on deck level in their own boxes.
Here's an upside-down under-gunnel view of the charger.

IMG_1974.jpg

The Stbd battery leads are attached to the cross-transom cabling "backbone" that runs under the deck.
IMG_0717.jpg

Topside the only evidence that the charger is mounted underneath is the four stainless pan-heads. (Two outboard ones are currently covered by my winter cover support)
IMG_1981.jpg

I think it's a perfect spot. The unit is out of the way and high and dry (although it -is- waterproof) It's easy to peek under the gunnel and check the status of the charging lights, there is plenty of ventilation, and the 110V cord is right there.

..John

cbigma":2ras6ggv said:
I wanted to save as much space as possible, so I mounted the unit under the Port Gunnel. I think it's a perfect spot. The unit is out of the way and high and dry (although it -is- waterproof) It's easy to peek under the gunnel and check the status of the charging lights, there is plenty of ventilation, and the 110V cord is right there.

..John

That was a good idea! Wish I had thought of that.

My 2530 had a charger added behind the fridge, accessed by taking the two burner stove out for the install. Had a dealer add it.

Guest 2820, about 5 years or so. May be an obsolete model.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02333 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02333 (Medium).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 791
Phil,

What are those plates by your electronics panel?

Attachments

• battery_charger_install_005_small_134 (Small).jpg
    battery_charger_install_005_small_134 (Small).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 788
They are cable and electric outlets I had installed with the shore power. I also have an electric outlet in the pilothouse.

Attachments

• outlets 002 (Small).jpg
    outlets 002 (Small).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 746
  • outlets (Small).jpg
    outlets (Small).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 746
  • outlets 001 (Small).jpg
    outlets 001 (Small).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 746
Back