2520 hull thickness?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
I'm planning on install in a thru hull pickup. I'm planning on installing a backer plate in the bilge to secure the pumps. How thick is the hull? So I know how long I need the pick up to be when I go through the plate and hull

You will need to cut the threaded stem off some If you do it the way I do. I leave the nut on when cutting it to chase the threads.

I used to build the backing plate out of wood and take a lot of precautions to cover it with fiberglass and make sure no water would ever get to the wood.

Now I just build them solid fiberglass.

You have to mock it all up dry to measure and know how much to cut. The stem of the scoop will screw into a seacock. That seacock will de set at a proper angle so that the handle on the seacock can be easily reached and operated.

This is the old way.

The block is epoxied to the bottom of the boat.

This is the solid fiberglass block...It too is epoxied to the hull.

100_4884_zpsf32def01.jpg

100_4885_zps60558460.jpg

100_4879_zpscda6a035.jpg

100_4880_zps5dd7f737.jpg

100_4959_zps3b610e38.jpg

100_4960_zps43f48f2a.jpg

100_4961_zpsf44a2965.jpg

So you take the wood block and totally glass it then epoxy it then drill it? or do you epoxy the wood then glass it? let me ask you this. do i need to use through bolts or can i screw right into the block?

The way they typically show is thru bolts all the way thru the hull and thru the block and on thru the seacock.

I don't do it that way.....To many thru hull holes. I use lag bolts down threw the seacock and into the the block.

Seacock.gif

I also bore out [this is in wood now] where the holes will be and backfill with epoxy/cabisol. Then the block is covered with glass.

You even bore out the big hole where the thru hull goes? And epoxy that too?

Not usually....I Just triple coat the hole with Epoxy.

But honestly....I wouldn't even use wood anymore....Build it out of solid Fiberglass....That Mold is a Tuperware bowl from the grocery store. :)

I just laminated 15 layers of fiberglass. Let's see how it dries

Ok now I have a sea ok question. The seacock and thru hull I have is 3/4 but the intake for the livewell pump is 1 inch. If I get a 3/4 to 1 inch would that be ok? And can I use a brass fitting in a bronze seacock?

Yes....Or....and what I'd do.... is change the 1in intake to 3/4in.....That is a standard that I've seen in 42gal livewells.

3/4in IN and 1 1/2in OUT is the norm.

Is there a difference if reduce the intake or the through hull?. Or is it 6 of one half dozen of another? Are brass fittings compatible with bronze? I hear crazy stories about dissimilar metals. Just checking

If I go with the fiberglass backer plate and opt for the lag bolt method how thick does the backer plate need to be in order for the lag bolts to get a good enough bite?

What's the strongest adhesive to use to bond the plate to the hull?

Something like West System epoxy or any of the Good epoxies. Draw a line around where the plate will sit. grind the gellcoat off in that area. A light coat of epoxy on the plate and on the hull. Then a mixture of epoxy/Cabisol and set the plate in place..... It will now be one with the hull.

west systems had a few different kinds of epoxy. what do you think will work best?

Dale recommends the sample kit from System 3 and i agree.... It is a item at a super reasonable price.

Any of the "Boat Building " epoxies will be fine. They do need the epoxy Cabisol mix.... This is a thickening agent and makes the product stronger.

Yes...This all sounds overwhelming to the newbe that can't just walk out in the shop and there it is. :) I haven't bought any Cabisol in Years. I have a 10lb bag. LOL It's the size of a 50ln fertilizer bag.

I called westsystems. They recommend their six 10 epoxy

Back