2520XL Usable Fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktomlinson

Reaction score
I have a 2007 2520XL with a 175 gallon fuel tank. Does anyone know how much fuel I can actually use? On plane? Off plane?

Thank you for the suggestion, I took you up on it and called Parker. They emailed with the following information:
Kevin,

We like to count on 10 percent of the fuel being unusable to be on the safe side. The actual usable amount will vary depending on running angle and sea conditions. 10 percent is a good number that you should be safe no matter what the conditions are.

Parker Marine Enterprises
2570 NC HWY 101, BEAUFORT, NC 28516
252-728-5621
www.parkerboats.net

Not sure that this is related, but worth knowing if you're using the same sending unit.

I have a 2003 2520XL with the factory installed fuel sending unit. The sending unit is at least 3 inches above the bottom of the 173 gallon tank.

Long story short: I use the E-Tec fuel monitoring to keep track of tank level, but had the dealer calibrate the fuel sender to the E-Tec system for a backup level gauge. He informed me about the 3" of space (fuel) below the sender.
Right now my gauge is reading empty, since the level isn't up to the sender yet. Next time I add fuel, I'm going to add in gallon increments until I get a reading on the gauge. Then I will fill it, subtract the amount to fill from 173, and will know how much "reserve" is in the bottom of tank.

Then I'm going to use the information that you just got from Parker, and will reduce my programmed tank size by the 10%. That way the fuel monitoring system should more accurately report the available fuel that I can burn.

Thanks for that!

That is good information. I usually keep my tank topped off, I wish there was a way other than running it almost dry to figure this out. I mainly use the fuel flow meter on the Yamaha gauges to figure how much fuel I've used. It's usually accurate to within 5-10%. I did burn around 60 gallons a month or so ago and the fuel gauge only went down to around 3/4 tank. You'd think in this day and time that knowing how much fuel is on board to a pretty good degree of accuracy would be easy.

Brent":2ksyed2s said:
Why cant the dip tube be longer say 1/2 or one inch from the bottom of the tank?
I removed the ball in the anti siphon valve on top of the tank and run a 2 micron Racor with water separator filter that I change twice a year

Why did you remove the ball in the ASV? I'm not following the connection to useable fuel?

Thanks, I replaced my ASV last year chasing a problem. Turned out not to be ASV but put a good Muller ASV back on. Kept the old one for emergency spare. I still don't get how getting rid of it increases capacity? I do get the plugging up or freezing up part as far as not letting the fuel flow to the filter.

Back