2820 FM Antenna Options

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2820 with factory installed MB Quart stereo. The FM radio reception is very poor - both at the dock and offshore here in Mass. Bay. Behind the dash, found a cable connected to the control box antenna socket that becomes a thin flat two wire running back aft between the dash and the starboard side of the pilothouse bundled in with all the other wires & cables leading that way. Wondering if anyone had similar issue and found a better antenna option to improve the FM radio reception. Thanks. Mike.

I have the same problem, was going to try a vhf antenna splitter because I have 2 radios but I installed a stereo with ipod dock this year and have not wanted to use the FM, so we'll see.

FYI, West Marine used to sell a foil FM antenna to simply peeled&stick'd to the front widnshild. I added one and it is perfect & foolproof! I don't see it in their on-line store, but see ones like these:

h12044UA200-fp.jpg

I used a plastic one from Pep Boys and it works perfect almost anywhere we go, and it was less than $20.00

was going to try a vhf antenna splitter

I've never liked doing that.

I've seen factory installed units with that ribbon cable antenna also. The ones I've seen there was not any complaints where I live.

But I personally install the 12in "Rubber Ducky" antenna's on boat that that I work on.

I have installed them laying down on top of E-Box's, but still under the canvas of the T-top. No one even knows it's there.

On my Flounder boat [a custom SeaArk 1860] it is installed on the side of the console.

Note that when I have installed these....Sometimes the thickness of the panel is larger than the screw that comes with it will allow. I solve this by getting a longer screw, but note that it is a metric thread.

These antennas could be mounted on the side of the pilothouse or on top of it.

But be careful about mounting on the side where someone will try and use it as a hand hold. :(

I buy them thru BOE, but can't find it on their website. Just call Jim and ask for a 12in "Rubber Ducky" AM/FM antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/AM-FM-Antenna-72- ... _pr_sims_t

100_2949.jpg

Back