2820 XL Transducer Location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All, this is my first post after the obligatory New Member post.

I have a 2007 2820 XL and am upgrading the Transducer. I have a B175HW (20 degree) on order, which is the general choice for San Diego Offshore fishing. Here is my dilemma:

The boat came with 2 transducers installed. Both are in the front bilge in the cabin just behind the helm. Photos attached. Port side is most likely a B744 thru hull transducer. Starboard side is a M260 in hull unit. The M260 is old and tired. It kinda works in shallow water but stays completely blank in anything deeper than 50 feet. Gas is too expensive to be offshore without a working fish finder! I can't even find the plug end for the B744 to test it, but it is the wrong unit anyway. My Garmin GPSMAP 7612 XSV has1k chip capabilities, so I would like to go that route.

The general consensus is to install the B175HW in the rear bilge, starboard side (I installed my last one there). However, my rear bilge is very crowded due to the 4 batteries and bait tank drain. It looks like the transducer will barely fit in the area marked 20 degree on the attached photo. I'll check it when it comes in. It is difficult to tell from the photo, but there is a glassed in flat spot for the batteries. It is flush with the battery closest to the transom. I would have to have the transducer right at the edge of the center flat spot and the transom.

My question is, has anyone run one of these transducers in the front bilge? It seems like it would be in the water most of the time but may occasionally lose contact with clean water. It would sure be cool to remove the B744 and widen the hole in order to install the new transducer. I like the idea of less holes. Obviously, someone at some point, thought the front was fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230812_110001.jpg
    20230812_110001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230812_110015.jpg
    20230812_110015.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_110227 w degrees and arrows.jpg
    20230812_110227 w degrees and arrows.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
*-Put it in the Rear. It Can go on Port or Starb. side. Arrow that says KEEL on the X-Ducer points @ Keel.. I've seen people screw that up.

Redo the bilge if needed. IE: Move stuff around.

No appendages sticking thru the hull in front of X-Ducer.

Your fuel filters are overdue for a change. Change each year.

*-Put it in the Rear. It Can go on Port or Starb. side. Arrow that says KEEL on the X-Ducer points @ Keel.. I've seen people screw that up.

Redo the bilge if needed. IE: Move stuff around.

No appendages sticking thru the hull in front of X-Ducer.

Your fuel filters are overdue for a change. Change each year.
Thanks for the advice and pointers. It's gotta go on the starboard side due to the raw water pick up. There is a clean spot under the bait tank outlet. Do you know how far the stem of the transducer sticks out into the bilge? I am thinking if it is only an inch or 2, it will clear. Photo attached. You can see in the photo how close the glassed-in battery ledge is to the transom. The location of the bait tank outlet isn't helping much either!

Also, regarding the fuel filters, the prior owner put very few hours on the boat after the last full service. We got all of his records with motor hours on them. Our plan is to finish out the season and do all the normal maintenance. Good looking out though!

Attachments

• 20230812_110236.jpg
    20230812_110236.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230812_110247.jpg
    20230812_110247.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
I never measured... BUT..... I can tell you it's more than 2in.... Somewhere between 3 & 4in.

Do you know how far the stem of the transducer sticks out into the bilge? I am thinking if it is only an inch or 2, it will clear.
I just installed a B175HW. The body of the transducer protrudes through into the bilge about 4-5”. It’s a much bigger transducer than the ones you have installed.

This was from a 2820 I used to own.

Attachments

• IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This was from a 2820 I used to own.
Thanks for the photo. Looks clean and I really like the deck hatch. Is that OEM or something you added? Also, assuming you had a bait tank, where do you have the seacock for the drain? Might make sense for us to reconfigure the drain location and tidy things up a bit.

I added the hatch. The old one started to leak and it’s the spot I stood to clean fish so it needed to be a little more rugged. I had a Kodiak bait tank that drained over the side so no plumbing below deck other than to the pump. I had so much stuff on that boat it made it easier having the ability to move the livewell around at times. It’s easy for that back bilge area to get crowded.

Attachments

• IMG_8771.jpeg
    IMG_8771.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back