2820l Ride ???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurleyp2

Reaction score
Someone please tell me if the 2820 pounds in the head sea ? how is it compared to the 25 deep vee ? Have another pilot house currently that is questionable in these same conditions....

thanks in advance

I have a 2820 and it will pound into head seas but so did my CC. I have over sized trim tab which help a lot, additionally i have seasuspension seat posts, which also help. with these i can go 16 to 20 knots in a head sea. I like to stay dry so going a little slower does not really bother me.

I have a 2820 as well

yep i d say 16 20 in a head sea is tops but im dry too.....

im thinking i will have to add larger tabs ..... weird but true if i fill my boat with 250 gallons it rides much better and still manages 44 46 mph go figure?

Burtona":3rhxbecw said:
All boats will pound in a head sea if you go fast enough!

That being said I was referring to moderate conditions. I have owned quite a few boats and know what to expect out of the ride and quite frankly I was surprised as to how unforgiving the 25 Deep vee was. I was hoping to establish whether or not the 28 was any, if not noticeably an improvement over the 25 in order to make a decision on pursing the purchase of a 28. I do like the pilothouse style boat for the cold conditions and staying dry but as I have found, a few pilot house boats I have ridden on need the pilot house because they are simply a wet ride. Taking a 16-20 knot cruise speed 50-60 miles could become a drag over time...it seems as though there is an issue with the hulls planing angle when I see so many posters on here talking about installing larger trim tabs. Shouldn't the tab be used for making angle and minor planing adjustments rather than solving a prblem with hull design ?

Trim tabs (in my case 24x9 tabs), will get the bow down so that the sharp end cleaves the waves rather than letting them slap against the bottom of the hull. That is the 'pounding' many people talk about.

If you want to go faster than 20 kts in a short period head sea, you are probably looking at the wrong boat. A 25 or a 28 (even a deep vee) won't do what you are asking it to do. These are not go-fast boats. You might need to start looking at much larger boats with very sharp entries if you want to go fast.

hurleyp2":qlibre3u said:
Burtona":qlibre3u said:
All boats will pound in a head sea if you go fast enough!

That being said I was referring to moderate conditions. I have owned quite a few boats and know what to expect out of the ride and quite frankly I was surprised as to how unforgiving the 25 Deep vee was. I was hoping to establish whether or not the 28 was any, if not noticeably an improvement over the 25 in order to make a decision on pursing the purchase of a 28. I do like the pilothouse style boat for the cold conditions and staying dry but as I have found, a few pilot house boats I have ridden on need the pilot house because they are simply a wet ride. Taking a 16-20 knot cruise speed 50-60 miles could become a drag over time...it seems as though there is an issue with the hulls planing angle when I see so many posters on here talking about installing larger trim tabs. Shouldn't the tab be used for making angle and minor planing adjustments rather than solving a prblem with hull design ?

the hull is mostly a comprimise, not a design flaw. You can't always have your cake and eat it too. Downeasts are beastly in a headsea, but usually wet and slower, etcetc...

CaptainJim":11wlqz9h said:
Downeasts are beastly in a headsea, but usually wet and slower, etcetc...

Chessie deadrises are the same.
They will eat a headsea for lunch, but that is also why they have a pilothouse (to stay dry).

While I don't have a ton of experience on the 2820, I did a couple of sea-trials on one in 3-5 foot wind chop (San Francisco Bay) after spending 4 days fishing the 2520 in similar conditions in Alaska. The extra weight and length of the 28 did provide for a slightly better ride in a head sea, IMHO.

I was able to get up on top of some 2-3 foot chop and cruise along at 30 knots without taking too bad of a beating. In the heavier chop, I needed to bring it down below 20 knots to minimize the pounding.

Bill

i owned both a 25 and a 28. the 28 definitely rode better, however the wheel on both boats is close to the bow, therefore if you want to go 25 knots in a head sea, a Parker pilot house would be a poor choice.

Latest posts

Back