4 battery bank wiring diagram 2007 2820XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday we couldn't get the port motor to turn over. It eventually went after a battery jump box worked it's magic. I guess it's time to replace the batteries. The ones being removed aren't AGM, so it'll be nice to swap them out.

My question: does anyone know how my 2820xl is set up, it has 2 perko switches and 4 batteries. It appears to have separate starting batteries for each motor. They are labeled as such and each use a separate switch. I am wondering how the house batteries are set up. It seems there would be a house battery on each switch, but I'm not sure how that works. I am also unsure why I couldn't fire up the motor with the switch on "all". I suppose the motor can't draw from the house?

Note, it also has shore power installed. This is probably why we didn't know the battery was going. It kept the battery just topped off enough to fire the motor. We hauled her out for 2 weeks, and the battery died. We found out when putting her back in the water.

Thanks!

Typical setup with Perko switches do Not have dedicated House batteries.
It's the way it is wired.

Power to the House and Start is provided with, which ever battery you select. They are not separated.

To have dedicated House & Start batteries..... You need this.

IF you wanted to keep that 4th battery.... It would be wired in parallel with the other House battery make one BIG House battery.

https://www.bepmarine.com/en/p/717-140A-DVSR/Btery-Distribution-Cluster-Twin

Attachments

• 100_5890.JPG
    100_5890.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 2
In searching around....This does a excellent job of explaining why you don't have a dedicated House & Start battery with a Perko switch.

You will note in the pix's....It shows a Start battery and a House battery and yet they each do Exactly the same thing.

https://marinehowto.com/1-2-both-battery-switch-considerations/
Thanks for this. It is always fun figuring out what people have done along the way. I reached out to Parker, and they informed me that my boat only came with 2 batteries from the factory with only 1 switch. They must have added the other batteries and switch when they installed the shore power.

The interesting thing is that the motor would not turn over with the switch on both batteries. Does this mean that both batteries on the starboard bank are shot? I wouldn't expect both to go out at the same time.

I got another email from Parker letting me know they did build them with 4 batteries. I attached the 2 diagrams. We do not have a house switch. This may explain why the second battery didn't help turn over the engine.

Attachments

• FOUR BATTERIES AND HOUSE SWITCH.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 4
  • FOUR BATTERY WIRING.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 2
It's Very deceiving to the average person. Those Batteries Marked House....While they Do Power the House circuits.... They also are combined with the engine. That means they are NOT Dedicated House and Start batteries. Understanding and Remembering what position does EXACTLY what is a Nighmare. Not unless you have the schematic posted right beside the switches.

As to your question :

The interesting thing is that the motor would not turn over with the switch on both batteries. Does this mean that both batteries on the starboard bank are shot? I wouldn't expect both to go out at the same time.

Who know without testing? Batteries Must be Charged and Load tested FIRST!

Then you start looking for Crap connections on the switches.

Not Only did This switch fall apart....You will note the Yellow connectors used. They are open barrel style...allowing corrosion into the wiring.

Attachments

• 100_6345.JPG
    100_6345.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 1
Back