8 plait chain splice?????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
:?: I am looking for some help here. Had an incident over the weekend where the end of the rode near the chain got damaged.Need to cut rode and resplice to chain. The problem is that it is 8 plait nylon and is for a windlass.There is nobody local to do this splice and I need to do it myself.
Does anybody have instructions for a splice like this?

Looks difficult. The 3-strand is simpler, but until someone physically showed me and then stood by as I did it in front of them several times, I would have never figured it out from a bunch of pictures.

Recommend you find an old sea-salt to teach you.

If you don't get it right, one of two things will happen:
1. It will give out at the most inopportune time; or
2. It won't go through the windlass gypsy.

Dave

aka

I have asked some of the marinas and supply stores in the area about having them do this splice for me. None of them want anything to do with it! I don't know if they are not familiar with the 8 plait or they just don't want to be bothered with it.Either way, I am on my own.

Yeah I could never splice looking at the instructions in books.

Then way back in the day working in boat u/s as a teenager a guy showed me how to do a 3 line splice and watching him it was like duh, that's easy. The squiggly arrows do nothing for me......

Porkchunker":2ackgz6k said:
Looks difficult. The 3-strand is simpler, but until someone physically showed me and then stood by as I did it in front of them several times, I would have never figured it out from a bunch of pictures.

Recommend you find an old sea-salt to teach you.

If you don't get it right, one of two things will happen:
1. It will give out at the most inopportune time; or
2. It won't go through the windlass gypsy.

Dave

aka

Back