About to purchase a new 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chcoleman84

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and about to pull the trigger on a 2023 1801. The boat has an F150 and T-top. I live in Texas so the boat will be used on the lake I live on 95% of the time. We will be doing mainly fishing and the occasional tube/wakeboard pull. I just want some reassurance that I'm making the right decision with the boat choice. I know there are probably better boats out there for my needs but I have fallen in love with the Parkers. This will be my first boat, so I decided the 1801 would be best due to its low cost, ease of maintenance, and towability. I was having a tough time deciding between the 1801 and the 21 SE. I would typically be carrying 2-4 passengers. I would love to hear any input.

Thanks,
Caleb

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and about to pull the trigger on a 2023 1801. The boat has an F150 and T-top. I live in Texas so the boat will be used on the lake I live on 95% of the time. We will be doing mainly fishing and the occasional tube/wakeboard pull. I just want some reassurance that I'm making the right decision with the boat choice. I know there are probably better boats out there for my needs but I have fallen in love with the Parkers. This will be my first boat, so I decided the 1801 would be best due to its low cost, ease of maintenance, and towability. I was having a tough time deciding between the 1801 and the 21 SE. I would typically be carrying 2-4 passengers. I would love to hear any input.

Thanks,
Caleb
Hey Caleb, Welcome to Classic Parker! Nothing wrong with starting out on an 18 footer and it can handle 4 people nicely. The 18 is a great boat, and seems to always be in demand. Historically a lot of folks move up in size over the years, so the 21 would save you the trouble of inching up a few years from now. The good news is that Parkers hold their value as good or better than most other brands, so if you decide to go bigger later on, you'd have no trouble selling the 18..... Just curious, which lake are you on in Texas? Most of my family live in various places scatter all over that state, and I've been on a half-dozen lakes down there over the decades....

I have been fishing mine since it was new in 2007. Its a truly amazing boat, and I love her dearly. I do disagree about handling 4 people. I fish (in the ocean) with one or maybe two small people. Its stable enough to handle 4 people, but there just isn't enough deck space for more than 2-3 people to fish. When I do bring out 4 its only on local trips, and I end up playing captain, not fishing.

I have an 1808 it’s a 2008 with the livewell and forward seating myself wife and 2 small children 6&3, it is ok as we are not fishing on the boat other than local but when my boys get a little bigger and venture on longer trips I will be going to be looking to get a bigger boat.

I have a 2021 1801 with a 115hp - I really love it...so fun. I agree with the rest of the folks here. Next year I will probably be looking at the 21SE. Your 150hp will help, but the deck space with 4 (and their stuff) on longer/full days is snug. If I had to go back, probably would have went 21SE out of the gate. For me the 4 people ends up being 6 quickly with friends, etc.

I have a 2006 1801 that I just repowered with a 150HP 4-stroke from a 150HP 2-stroke. I agree with all comments, that 4 people, unless they are smaller people like kids 10-13 years old small, fishing 4 people/adults is not great, but doable. 3 adults is comfortable, but 2 is ideal/perfect. For me, I solo fish, or fish with one other person in the ocean almost the entire year (out of NJ). The great thing about these boats is they are heavy & will handle seas pretty well. I've been in some nasty stuff off NJ and I never felt unsafe. You can even see from my profile pic, those seas aren't the best, but still that little big boat eats them up.

Since you are buying new, it is doubtful your boat has trim tabs. I like trim tabs on my boat and that is one of the first things I added and it def helps leveling the boat & burying the bow when needed. Also, you may still have cable steering. That was the 2nd thing I changed over to hydraulic. It is now 2 finger steering.

The 1801 is really a go-anywhere boat. I've been in skinny water, fished under bridges (I don't have a T-Top), I've taken it tuna fishing 20 miles offshore... you name it. Love this little boat, as will you.

So after reading all these post I agree with everything said. I own and operate a 1994 1800 with a 2019 Suzuki 90. Not a speed demon but pushes boat comfortably. I have been in a lot of bad sea conditions no fault of my own. But like reellucky18 posted it is a heavy boat and is very good in rough conditions. I also boat in NJ and go between 20-30 miles for tuna with no worries. Also safety conscious with an Epirb and Viking 4 man safety raft. But agree that a crew of 4 is a lot on this boat. Comfortably 3 is good for fishing unless you have family fun day with 4 and just cruising around. I plan on retiring from FD with in the next 6 months and am in the process of having a custom build done. But I’ll never get rid of my Parker. I’ll leave the custom boat in NJ. My Parker in Florida. It’s just an awesome boat. Good Luck.

Attachments

• 0C584C39-9B42-47E5-8789-2278B1C48536.jpeg
    0C584C39-9B42-47E5-8789-2278B1C48536.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
I run a ‘98 1800 with a now dead 115. Repowering with a 150, probably, but no issues with something closer to the old HP.

As noted above, a Parker 18 is a Jack of all trades kind of boat. 30 miles out, 200 mile treks, launch on rocks. About the only thing that I wouldn’t do with it is pole a flat… then you mentioned tubing.

Deck space is best suited for 2-3 capable fisherman chasing stuff. Tubing, with its paraphernalia and pack-o-tots would be a decision you would have to make before launching.

I would strongly suggest forgoing fishing if tubing is involved.

I just got back from boating in a rental skiff that is a bit longer than my Parker. Hit waters that made me wish for my boat. The Graveyard of the Atlantic is aptly named and where she was born. Can’t wait to get her back down here.

Back